• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Sioux

Leader: Sitting Bull
Capital: Little Bighorn

UA: Into the west - Empire enters a 5 turn golden age after expending a great person.Great people purchase with faith 50% cheaper, but spawn rate 50% slower.
UB: Fire pit (replaces forge) Iron based units cost no maintenance
UU: Reaver (replaces cavalry) Unlike other units, this one earns promotion for killing a unit.Each kill gives 1 level.At level 10 you can choose to expand the unit to gain a huge faith boost.

The UA is original, but I don't like being penalised for not having enough faith. It could work out quite well, I'm just not sure where I stand on it right now. The fire pit is a nice idea, but if you build it once, then all our iron-based units cost no maintenance, and there's no point in building it again to get the benefit. I like the Reaver, but it comes too late game to found a religion, but late enough to help with faith purchase, which ties into the UA. I would suggest changing the UB to help with faith/great people, and that's really about it.

Íñigo Arista of Euskal Herria

Capital: Iruña (Pamplona)
Unique Ability: Gernikako Arbola — +2 :c5culture: from National Wonders. Other Civilizations receive a -10% Tourism Penalty for each completed Social Policy Tree or Tier 3 Tenet.
Unique Improvement: Baserri (requires Engineering) — Must be built on a Hill and cannot be adjacent to a City or another Baserri. +1 :c5food:, +1 :c5production:, +1 :c5culture:. Doubles yield with Architecture.
Unique Unit: Gudari (Infantry) — +10% Combat Strength for every completed Social Policy Tree or Tier 3 Tenet.

This seems good, I'd just say that it's far too reliant on social policies. I think that you should change the civ to get slightly more culture, or make it less reliant on SPs, but otherwise I like it.

Tuscany

Leader: Cosimo I de' Medici
Capital: Florence

UA: Art Palace of Italy - +50% :c5production: when constructing Leaning Tower of Pisa, Uffizi and all national wonders. +1 :c5culture: from all World Wonders.
UU: Patron of the Renaissance (replaces great artist) - Has a 25% of producing two great works of art and Adds +5 turns to :c5goldenage:'s produced by unit. (Only able to spawn in Renaissance era onward, uses names like Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo etc.)
UB: Tuscan Vineyard - Produces free wine in the city was built, if none was previously there, all wine sources in the city produce +3 :c5gold: and +4 :c5culture:. (unlocked with calender)

Start Bias: near wine or coast

This seems good, I'd just say that it's far too reliant on social policies. I think that you should change the civ to get slightly more culture, or make it less reliant on SPs, but otherwise I like it.
I can see your point. Anyone else have an opinion on this? I'll considering giving them some bonus to fill in the time between completing Social Trees.

If you hadn't seen already, there's a Tuscany Civilization in the works that will hopefully be finished in the relatively near future.

Tuscany

UA: Art Palace of Italy - +50% :c5production: when constructing Leaning Tower of Pisa, Uffizi and all national wonders. +1 :c5culture: from all World Wonders.
UU: Patron of the Renaissance (replaces great artist) - Has a 25% of producing two great works of art and Adds +5 turns to :c5goldenage:'s produced by unit. (Only able to spawn in Renaissance era onward, uses names like Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo etc.)
UB: Tuscan Vineyard - Produces free wine in the city was built, if none was previously there, all wine sources in the city produce +3 :c5gold: and +4 :c5culture:. (unlocked with calender)

There's a couple of things that I would like to say here. Firstly, the UA isn't going to win you the game. A bonus for getting some wonders that were built by your civ? It's like England having a bonus towards the Globe Theater, Stonehenge and Big Ben. The rest of the UA is fine, but I think that you should drop the Uffizi and Leaning Tower bonuses, as no other civ gets a bonus towards their wonders. However, the wonders often compliment the civ, which is partly what you have done. It's a bit strange for a civ not to have a military unit, so you need to drop the Patron on the Rennisance or the Tuscan Vineyard. I don't really like the Vineyard either, as it basically gives you a copy of the same luxury resource for every city.

Knocking together an idea

The Gaels
UA: (Saints and Scholars) Recieve a research boost when a city first converts to a religion. Receive a similar boost when foreign cities convert due to pressure, missionaries or prophets from the Gaelic civilization.

UU: Galloglaigh (Replaces Longswordsman) Rough Terrain Bonus. Receive +:c5influence: from fighting near non-enemy City States. Can be loaned from friendly city-states with increased maintenance cost but without the Iron cost.

UB: Round Tower (Replaces something) +50% Religious Pressure emanating from this city. +5% pressure per follower in this city. Something else.

There's a couple of things that I would like to say here. Firstly, the UA isn't going to win you the game. A bonus for getting some wonders that were built by your civ? It's like England having a bonus towards the Globe Theater, Stonehenge and Big Ben. The rest of the UA is fine, but I think that you should drop the Uffizi and Leaning Tower bonuses, as no other civ gets a bonus towards their wonders. However, the wonders often compliment the civ, which is partly what you have done. It's a bit strange for a civ not to have a military unit, so you need to drop the Patron on the Rennisance or the Tuscan Vineyard. I don't really like the Vineyard either, as it basically gives you a copy of the same luxury resource for every city.

Well then how about this:
Tuscany

UA: Art Palace of Italy - +25% when constructing wonders that provide +2 or more :c5culture: +1 :c5culture: from all World Wonders.
UU: Order of Saint Stephen - (replaces Pikeman) Has +15% combat strength versus civilizations that have founded a religion, and +25% combat strength when attacking holy cities of a religion.

Zimbabwe
Capital: Great Zimbabwe
Leader: Changamire Dombo
UA: Swahili Traders. Land trade routes connecting to port cities produce just as much gold as sea trade routes and +2:c5greatperson: Great Merchant points.
UU: Rozwi. Replaces pikeman. The Rozwi has +:c5moves:, and when one of your trade routes is pillaged, the Rozwi gains an additional +:c5moves: and +3:c5strength: for 5 turns.
UB: Zimbabwe. Replaces castle. If the city that produced the Zimbabwe had access to stone, it has +2:c5strength: and +25 hp. Available at engineering.

Zimbabwe
Capital: Great Zimbabwe
Leader: Changamire Dombo
UA: Swahili Traders. Land trade routes connecting to port cities produce just as much gold as sea trade routes and +2:c5greatperson: Great Merchant points.
UU: Rozwi. Replaces spearman. The Rozwi has +:c5moves:, and when one of your trade routes is pillaged, the Rozwi gains an additional +:c5moves: and +3:c5strength: for 5 turns.
UB: Zimbabwe. Replaces castle. If the city that produced the Zimbabwe had access to stone, it has +2:c5strength: and +25 hp. Available at masonry.

I like the UA, but not its name since it puts the focus on another Civilization. (Admittedly, I have a similar issue with one of my Australian Civs which I'll share in a moment). Maybe something "The Wealth of Azania" would be better.

As for the Rozwi, is there a particular reason they're a Spearman replacement and not a Pikeman replacement? The Rozwi were competitive with, in game terms, Renaissance Era Portuguese, so Pikeman feels more appropriate to me.

Finally, is it intended that Zimbabwe gets its Castle replacement at the same time as it gets its Walls? That gives them a huge defensive edge early in the game.

Here's the Australian Civ that has a similar issue to the "Swahili Traders" UA:

YOLNGU
Leader: Munggurrawuy
Capital: Yirrkala
Unique Ability: Trepanger Contacts — International Trade Routes gain +1 :c5gold: for each Luxury Resource worked by the Yolngu City. Land Units produced 10% faster in Cities with an International Trade Route.
Unique Improvement: Rock Art — Requires Writing. Built on Stone and Marble. Gains +1 :c5culture:, and an additional +1 :c5culture: for each Civilization encountered, to a maximum of current Era (Ancient = 1, Classical = 2, Medieval = 3, etc.)
Unique Unit: Songman (Great Musician) — May perform a Ceremony within Yolgnu borders, providing :c5culture: and :c5faith:.

The other two Australian Civs brewing on my wishlist:

NOONGAR
Leader: Yagan
Capital: Mendyarrup
Unique Ability: Kaartdijin Noongar — When founding a City, may choose +1 :c5food:, +1 :c5culture:, +1 :c5production:, +1 :c5science: or +1 :c5faith: for City's yield. Chosen yield increases to +2 with Printing Press and +4 with Computers. Choices reset after three Cities have been founded.
Unique Improvement: Kaleep (Camping Grounds) — Requires Trapping. Provides the benefits of a Camp or Pasture on appropriate resources, and also provides +1 of the yield chosen for the City that works the tile.
Unique Unit: Woomera Atlatlist (Archer) — Ignores Grassland Combat penalty and begins with the Accuracy I promotion.

KULIN NATION
Leader: William Barak
Capital: Coranderrk
Unique Ability: Tanderrum — While an Open Borders agreement exists between the Kulin and another Civilization, Land Trade Routes connecting Kulin Cities to that civilization grant the City the yield of a Customs House and +1 :c5culture:.
Unique Building: Diorite Mine (Stone Works) — +1 :c5gold: for Stone and Marble. +10XP for Land Units.
Unique Unit: Arweet (Great Merchant) — Provides bonus :c5influence: with Trade Missions and can found Cities, which begin with a Caravan if a Trade Route is available.

I like the UA, but not its name since it puts the focus on another Civilization. (Admittedly, I have a similar issue with one of my Australian Civs which I'll share in a moment). Maybe something "The Wealth of Azania" would be better.

As for the Rozwi, is there a particular reason they're a Spearman replacement and not a Pikeman replacement? The Rozwi were competitive with, in game terms, Renaissance Era Portuguese, so Pikeman feels more appropriate to me.

Finally, is it intended that Zimbabwe gets its Castle replacement at the same time as it gets its Walls? That gives them a huge defensive edge early in the game.

First, you're right about the Zimbabwe, so I will change it so that it becomes available at construction instead. I made the Rozwi a spearman replacement mostly because if you take the Portuguese out of the equation, then you would probably make them spearmen. Additionally, with their combat boost they can fight swordsmen on an equal playing field, while a pikeman would still be weaker than a longswordsman. Having said that though, it probably does make sense to change it, because the speed bonus makes up for the lack of combat. Lastly, for the UA name, I'm going to keep it as it is, because it's not so bad considering Carthage references Phoenicia. I mean, the Swahili were an integral part of their economy, so it only feels right to reference them.

Here's the Australian Civ that has a similar issue to the "Swahili Traders" UA:

YOLNGU
Leader: Munggurrawuy
Capital: Yirrkala
Unique Ability: Trepanger Contacts — International Trade Routes gain +1 :c5gold: for each Luxury Resource worked by the Yolngu City. Land Units produced 10% faster in Cities with an International Trade Route.
Unique Improvement: Rock Art — Requires Writing. Built on Stone and Marble. Gains +1 :c5culture:, and an additional +1 :c5culture: for each Civilization encountered, to a maximum of current Era (Ancient = 1, Classical = 2, Medieval = 3, etc.)
Unique Unit: Songman (Great Musician) — May perform a Ceremony within Yolgnu borders, providing :c5culture: and :c5faith:.

The other two Australian Civs brewing on my wishlist:

NOONGAR
Leader: Yagan
Capital: Mendyarrup
Unique Ability: Kaartdijin Noongar — When founding a City, may choose +1 :c5food:, +1 :c5culture:, +1 :c5production:, +1 :c5science: or +1 :c5faith: for City's yield. Chosen yield increases to +2 with Printing Press and +4 with Computers. Choices reset after three Cities have been founded.
Unique Improvement: Kaleep (Camping Grounds) — Requires Trapping. Provides the benefits of a Camp or Pasture on appropriate resources, and also provides +1 of the yield chosen for the City that works the tile.
Unique Unit: Woomera Atlatlist (Archer) — Ignores Grassland Combat penalty and begins with the Accuracy I promotion.

KULIN NATION
Leader: William Barak
Capital: Coranderrk
Unique Ability: Tanderrum — While an Open Borders agreement exists between the Kulin and another Civilization, Land Trade Routes connecting Kulin Cities to that civilization grant the City the yield of a Customs House and +1 :c5culture:.
Unique Building: Diorite Mine (Stone Works) — +1 :c5gold: for Stone and Marble. +10XP for Land Units.
Unique Unit: Arweet (Great Merchant) — Provides bonus :c5influence: with Trade Missions and can found Cities, which begin with a Caravan if a Trade Route is available.

For the first one, you need a military UU. The UI is interesting, so I would keep that one, but every civ needs a military UU. The second thing is that your abilities are cool and interesting, but they don't quite fit together. The UA gives you gold and a military bonus, the UI gives you culture, and the UU gives you culture and faith. I get that there's a discovery of other civs connection between the UA and UI, but the general focus of both has to be at least a little similar. Maybe you could tie them together with a new UU though.

For the second one, the UA and UI do relate a lot, which is good, but your UA is a little underpowered. Give it a small, secondary ability and it will be fine. Everything else about this one is good.

For the third one, the UA is definitely underpowered, and once again you need a military UU. The UB is good, but even though six or so gold per trade route sounds good at the beginning of the game, that becomes less important later on. Also, open borders agreements come at a point when most trade routes are reaching that six gold yield level anyway, either by switching to sea routes or through market building and stuff like that. So, find a way to upgrade the UA and give them a military UU.

Knocking together an idea

The Gaels
UA: (Saints and Scholars) Recieve a research boost when a city first converts to a religion. Receive a similar boost when foreign cities convert due to pressure, missionaries or prophets from the Gaelic civilization.

UU: Galloglaigh (Replaces Longswordsman) Rough Terrain Bonus. Receive +:c5influence: from fighting near non-enemy City States. Can be loaned from friendly city-states with increased maintenance cost but without the Iron cost.

UB: Round Tower (Replaces something) +50% Religious Pressure emanating from this city. +5% pressure per follower in this city. Something else.

I really like the idea, and I've got a minor suggestion to make. The Round Tower could be renamed to the Broch (not the same thing, I think, but gives a less generic name). I don't really think there's much else wrong with it, so I really have nothing to say here.

Here's something:

The Saxons
(((o)))

Leader: Alfred
Capital: Witanceaster
UA: (Something about Burhs or Fyrd) - 1 gold/culture in all cities until Education and 2 gold/culture after, melee units get Shieldwall promotion (10% against ranged, 10% bonus in home land and 10% bonus adjacent a friendly unit).
UU: Huscarl (Longswordsman) - Starts with Rough I and costs 100 production.
UB: Saint's Chapel (Shrine) - +15exp for units, 1 faith and 1 maintainence.

They aren't the best for the late game but they are very strong before then. Their melee units are much stronger, especially if they switch to the defence especially with the promotion from their UB. Even in the Medieval, if they didn't have enough already, they can get Huscarls quicker to get even more Shieldwall bonuses which carry on after upgrading.

Here's something:

The Saxons
(((o)))

Leader: Alfred
Capital: Witanceaster
UA: (Something about Burhs or Fyrd) - 1 gold/culture in all cities until Education and 2 gold/culture after, melee units get Shieldwall promotion (10% against ranged, 10% bonus in home land and 10% bonus adjacent a friendly unit).
UU: Huscarl (Longswordsman) - Starts with Rough I and costs 100 production.
UB: Saint's Chapel (Shrine) - +15exp for units, 1 faith and 1 maintainence.

They aren't the best for the late game but they are very strong before then. Their melee units are much stronger, especially if they switch to the defence especially with the promotion from their UB. Even in the Medieval, if they didn't have enough already, they can get Huscarls quicker to get even more Shieldwall bonuses which carry on after upgrading.

I like it, although the Saint's Chapel is basically a stronger version of the Royal Library. Also, the civ doesn't seem to have much of a focus. If you changed the civ to be good at a paticular victory type, I think that this design would work really well. Could be hard for the Saxons, but should be possible.

Russia and America both sprang to mind when you mentioned focuses there.

UA - +20% of Faith is converted into gold (and +1 Tourism in all cities after Acoustics?). Melee units get the Shieldwall promotion.
UB: Saint's Chapel (Shrine) - 1 Faith and 10Exp but no maintainence.

That way they can afford all of their melee units with the gold. I know that gets ridiculously OP with a Desert Folklore start but who said Desert Folklore was underpowered anyway? As for the tourism, I just put that in to give them a 'focus' although it think the focus is a lot of experienced front line units and faith.

Oceania

Koori
Pemulwuy
Dreamtime Knowledge - The Discovery of Natural Wonders gives :c5faith: Faith equal to the total yield of the wonder and additional +1 :c5happy: Happiness. Also, +1 :c5food: from unimproved Bush4 tiles.
Awabakal
Colours - Ochre and Black - (((O)))
Unique Unit: Woomera Bushman, replaces Archer - Stronger and has access to the scouting and survivalism promotion trees. Receives additional bonus if on a Bush4 tile
Unique Improvement: Creation Art - Can only be placed on Hills clear of Forest or Jungle. Provides +1 :c5culture: Culture, and also gives +1 :c5faith: Faith if adjacent to a Mountain.

I vote the Koori I thought no one had the idea of making some kind of Aborigine civ from Australia but I think this would be awesome for Civ. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

Still don't like the first half of that ua. It's basically Egypt, but restricted.

What about a :c5culture: version of Korea's UA?

So, someone on these forums expressed a wish for a Swiss civ based on neutrality. I'm curious as to how that would be achieved. I'm thinking a neutral position can be demonstrated by having an Embassy but not a Declaration of Friendship or War (enemy Denouncements shouldn't affect your neutrality, and you should be trying to keep at peace). As for the bonus for each civ Switzerland is neutral towards, what would be suitable? Extra culture multiplier seems general enough to work. This plus the previous suggestions for Swiss Guard and Swiss Banks would make for a neat civ, IMO.

Top Bottom