Civ 5 save editor

Even though load screen says marathon the game reverted back to quick on load. I know this because techs took 7 turns, settlers cost 370gold and the load/save screen ingame says quick.

Interesting, sounds like it's probably going to end up being the same as changing the difficulty: either not possible or buried in the compressed section of the file. Thanks for testing!

As you can see in the app, I'm already reading the list of DLC installed. For what you're describing, do you think it'd be as simple as removing DLC in that list? Maybe a simple button that just removes everything in the list?
I do not know, I could not make it work. A few others seemed to have the routine down.

If you could send me a save file I could make an attempt at removing the DLC from it.
The other difficultly is that you need someone who does not own the DLC to test. When the DCLs were running regularly, there were plenty of volunteers for this sort of thing. Now, not so much.

Since you first posted I was able to get access to browser testing courtesy of BrowserStack, and it does seem that it works in Safari starting with version 10. Oddly enough the layout is messed up even though it's fine in all other current browsers, even ones where the app doesn't work. I've looked into it a little bit but not much luck yet.
That must be a bug with BrowserStack. Your app looks the same to me in Safari as it does Chrome.

I think adding it to the app should be doable, I'm just mostly curious what kind of information you're looking for. Would something like this be enough?
Yes, that would be great!

@phillipwyllie's been doing some testing too but I can't imagine it'd hurt to have some more data points. I've attached the updated save.
Thanks. I am going away for the long weekend, so I will be a bit before I can report back.

I do not know, I could not make it work. A few others seemed to have the routine down.

The other difficultly is that you need someone who does not own the DLC to test. When the DCLs were running regularly, there were plenty of volunteers for this sort of thing. Now, not so much.

I wonder if disabling the DLC would be enough to test. It worked pretty well for me when I was testing for the web app, but of course that was a bit different. I suppose this might matter less as time goes on and the DLC get cheaper and cheaper. At any rate if you find out more information let me know and I'd be happy to give it a shot.

That must be a bug with BrowserStack. Your app looks the same to me in Safari as it does Chrome.

Oh that's great! I'll remove the message about it. It's highly possible they're not running the latest version. That means the app should work in the latest version of all browsers except IE, but since IE is effectively discontinued I'm not going to put any effort into getting it working.

Yes, that would be great!

The first option or the second? Either way I'll start tinkering around with it.

Thanks. I am going away for the long weekend, so I will be a bit before I can report back.

Ditto :)

I wonder if disabling the DLC would be enough to test. It worked pretty well for me when I was testing for the web app, but of course that was a bit different. I suppose this might matter less as time goes on and the DLC get cheaper and cheaper. At any rate if you find out more information let me know and I'd be happy to give it a shot
It could be, but you can uninstall the DLC from steam and that will definitely work. In the properties window, there is a DLC tab where you can uninstall the map packs

The change to Deity in the file you uploaded is not effective. On turn 68, I have met the first civ, and I am first on the leader board. So there must be more to it.
The first option or the second? Either way I'll start tinkering around with it.
The more information the better I should think. Even your second option is pretty terse (and informative).

The change to Deity in the file you uploaded is not effective. On turn 68, I have met the first civ, and I am first on the leader board. So there must be more to it.

Yes, that does seem to be the case.

The more information the better I should think. Even your second option is pretty terse (and informative).

I just added the list of players and their statuses (the second option) to the app. It'll show up for all versions, but before version 1.0.1.674 there's less information and it's a little bit less accurate. There are a few other properties like that where I've done a best effort attempt to support older versions, but the best results will be for saves created with newer versions of the game.

It didn't crash and it even said Deity on the menu where you load saves, but ingame it was Emperor.

Would both of you mind trying again with these new saves? When I was doing the work for adding the list of players it occurred to me that the civilization for player 1 is listed in 2 spots of the file, and one of the sources I've been using for understanding the save file format seemed to indicate the difficulties were also stored elsewhere.

After further research my guess is that the very first section of the file (the first kb or so) is kind of a quick-reference header used by certain parts of the game (like the menu where you load saves), but the real setting is buried deeper in a separate section. That separate section also seems to have difficulty settings for each player, which more closely reflects the list of civs per player.

Attachments

• Isabella_0000 BC-4000-deity-take2.Civ5Save
    503 KB · Views: 176
  • TSG161_Start-deity-take2.Civ5Save
    476.5 KB · Views: 204
The Isabellea save is still Emperor. I know this because: Assurbarnical only has 1 city, only 4 techs, and ingame it says Emperor.

Edit: I've a thought; the AI always plays at prince and gets bonuses based on that and what level the human player gets. Perhaps thats what is stored(game level and bonuses). So in theory it might be possible to have different levels and bonuses for each player in the game(human AI).

IIRC Acken posted a DCL that had one of the AI have such a lead that they entered the Renaissance era about t80, I'm sure he used Firetuner but it might be an idea to ask him. Also he is the author of his Deity+ mod so should have an understandingh of the differencies the various levels have.

My reference for this thinking is https://www.civfanatics.com/civ5/info/difficulties/

Last edited:
Do you think it would be possible to edit a hotseat game so that a human player becomes an AI player?

Do you think it would be possible to edit a hotseat game so that a human player becomes an AI player?

According to this it seems possible. If you can send me a game I can change it manually to confirm it works before adding it as a feature to the app.

According to this it seems possible. If you can send me a game I can change it manually to confirm it works before adding it as a feature to the app.

I have attached it. Incas and Russians are human and I would like Russians to become AI.

Attachments

• Sep 2017.Civ5Save
    2 MB · Views: 209
Incas and Russians are human and I would like Russians to become AI.
I have not tried this, but I think you can load the game up as multiplayer hotseat with you playing both the Incas and Russians. When it is your turn to play the Russians, you resign. At that point, the game will proceed as normal single player.

I must be blind or something. Where is this resign button?

edit: If you mean the "retire" option, I think it's only available in single player, not hotseat.

Last edited:
I have attached it. Incas and Russians are human and I would like Russians to become AI.

Sorry this has taken me so long. My free time is significantly decreasing and I've had to work on some other projects. Try the attached file.

I must be blind or something. Where is this resign button?

edit: If you mean the "retire" option, I think it's only available in single player, not hotseat.

What about this?:
I found the solution to this by saving the game, quitting to the main menu, and then loading the game up again. You're taken to the main starter screen page where you can assign a player to be controlled by an AI.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/864956554631861023/#c135512931366598771

The Isabellea save is still Emperor. I know this because: Assurbarnical only has 1 city, only 4 techs, and ingame it says Emperor.

Aside from the fact that changing the difficulty didn't work, even if it did work it wouldn't have an immediate effect on the number of cities and techs the AI has, would it?

It is still just Prince. As @phillipwyllie notes, you open Menu (once you have loaded the game) and it says as much. I played 100 turns just to be sure.

I found a couple other spots that seem to possibly store the difficulty. I have no idea why the difficulty would be duplicated in so many areas, but I figured it's worth a shot. I've attached my latest attempts.

Attachments

• Sep 2017-russia-ai.Civ5Save
    2 MB · Views: 281
  • Isabella_0000 BC-4000-deity-take3.Civ5Save
    503 KB · Views: 209
  • TSG161_Start-deity-take3.Civ5Save
    476.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:
I found a couple other spots that seem to possibly store the difficulty. I have no idea why the difficulty would be duplicated in so many areas, but I figured it's worth a shot. I've attached my latest attempts.

Sorry aboput the late reply, I haven't been playing ciV for a while. Just tested the Spain save and although it says Deity in the menu and ingame Assyria has only 1 city and 4techs. That means the places you found are may just be cosmetic.

Edit: In my playing around with Firetuner I've found that executing PreGame.SetHandicap( 0, 7 ); sets the game to Deity(sort of). The AI don't have their Deity starting techs and units though, and it doesn't seem to be as agreesive. I'm sure setting the handicap doesn't change everything but I'll keep on fidling with Firetuner. I recomend turning Settler games into Deity and vice versa as they would show the biggest changes(adding units and techs is an easy thing to do in Firetuner and IGE).

Last edited:
Sorry aboput the late reply, I haven't been playing ciV for a while. Just tested the Spain save and although it says Deity in the menu and ingame Assyria has only 1 city and 4techs. That means the places you found are may just be cosmetic.

The number of cities and techs is probably stored in the save file itself once the game is created. That's not to say that it worked, only that I don't think changing the difficulty would change resources of a game that's already started. I think the changed difficulty would be manifested in other ways as the game progressed, like aggressivity or how many new cities and techs.

Basically I think you'd have to play for a bit to see if the difficulty change actually worked. Let me know!

Top Bottom