Civ III Complete 1.22 Rev A Patch

Metropolis Man

Warlord
I get the impression from this patch that it's only for players on Intel Macs that want Universal Binary support. Am I right? I'm on a G5 iMac and was wondering whether this was even needed.

It also fixes some problems:

1. The original release doesn't compress save files. Rev A does.

2. The original release had a problem opening some Windows-originated save files. It would open them, but then could not save the game later. This was partially fixed in Rev A.

3. The original release has issues with some mods. Rev A solved most of them, but is still not perfect.

Problems 1 and 2 can be solved without the patch, by using my FileValet utility. See my sig for a link. Problem 3 doesn't exist if you don't play mods, but can be hard to work round if you do.

n the down side, I know some people don't run the patch because it appears to have slowed Civ3 down for them.

Thanks, Alan. Sounds like I'm good to go then and can just disregard the patch because all 3 points you make are nonissues to me: I don't care about compressed saved files, opening up windows-saved files, or playing mods (at least for now).

Those were off the top of my head. There may be other issues solved by Rev A, but if it works for you, then maybe you don't need to fix it! What's the reluctance to patch all about, though?

Oh, there's no reluctance to patch at all. I'm a firm believer in patching any game. I just had the misunderstanding that it was for Intel Mac players. I think I will go ahead and patch up just to do it. Hopefully the reported slowdowns won't be too much of an issue because I love playing Huge maps.

Top Bottom