Civ3 Anniversary - Recognizing Scenarios

El Justo

Deity
i like the idea of recognizing the decade's worth of civ3 scenarios :) our community here has probably produced more scenarios for the civ franchise than any other version of the game, maybe even combined!

so with that said, i would like to open this thread for discussion of the memorable works done over the last ten years for civ3 scenarios.

i'll be honest, the scenario forum is what enticed me to make my own stuff way back when. so there is a bit of sentimentality involved for me with all this :cool:

Rocoteh's work surely deserves a ton of recognition. he pretty much pioneered the historical scenario genre here at cfc. his attention to details and his warm and approachable nature has no doubt had an impact on me. memorable works include his WW2 Global, an all-time great here at cfc. the WW1 mod was posted by Sarevok but we all know that Rocoteh's fingerprints were all over it :)

speaking of Sarevok, his works were maybe the first here to reach for concise historical realities.

Plotinus deserves mentioning as well for his superb british isles and african continent scenarios. lots of historical accuracies and nicely researched. certainly worthy of hall of fame imo.

some old school dudes like Procifica and misfit_travel deserve recognition too. the former's ACW scenario, in conjunction with Roctoeh, has been a gold standard scenario here at cfc for a while (even though the thread is not active).

then there are those cfc'ers who may not have uploaded a scenario here but have contributed so much in the way of playtesting, research, writing, and a host of other activities. Klyden is no.1 in my book. dude just knows his stuff and motivated me to make the best possible scenarios. I_batman helped a ton, too. another superb contributor is Adler17 who has always been able to provide insightful contributions.

for non-historical scenarios, no doubt that Vuldacon and KingArthur lead the way with the EFZI series. very clever work by these fine fellows. the gfx work that V has done for the series has been nothing short of remarkable. he is imo the most talented overall civer in terms of being able to do it all.

there are others that i've probably missed out on. sorry :p

--discuss--

How are we really supposed to recognize scenarios? There are so many, and I'm sure few people have tried them all.

well, there are a handful that surely are well designed. you mean to tell me that you can't 'recognize' a few that may merit some sort of 'decade' acknowledgment? has nothing to do with whether folks have tried them all. it's really pretty simple to see which ones stand out. so take it from there...

I welcome the inclusion of Scenarios in the polls, but is there an agreement on them also running in the Decade Achievement polls? Seems a bit pointless to me since there never was a scen/modpack poll before, so they may as well be covered in the "best scenario" one.

i'm not officially nominating anything. just discussing the merits etc. i'm not aware of what the consensus may be but it's my opinion that the scenario forum should surely be represented in some way wrt any decade achievements. just b/c the scenario forum hasn't had these monthly/yearly competitions does not mean that it shouldn't be considered. iow, if units, city gfx, and other artwork are being considered, scenarios should get a fair shake too. and fwiw, it takes far more work to put together a good scenario than it does to make any piece of artwork...

I don't disagree that it takes a lot of work, and i can think of a few scenarios which are indeed classic.

That said i do not see why their merit would not be covered by a "best scenario" (or a few categories) poll, and they have to be part of the decade achievement one. I thought (which obviously does not mean it is so) that the decade achievement was first and foremost for consistency in producing content, something which an isolated work, however grand, does not contain.

As I posted above scenarios are almost certain to have their own category. Once that is formally decided then we'll have a nominations thread that has a deadline. nominations will be made by people in C&C. From that we'll construct a poll open to all of CFC. The same process will happen for each of the categories.

How are we really supposed to recognize scenarios? There are so many, and I'm sure few people have tried them all.
After tomorrow's exam I'll have quite some time for playing games… how long do I have to play all these scenarios? :)

Consistency I don't think has anything to do with anything. If it does, than a seperate category should be made with a poll for 'most consistent graphic producer'. And people can choose the consistency winner.

When you vote for best graphic, you are voting for the best graphic. So if a guy made 1 graphic in his whole life, and none others compared, then that guy should win for what he did.

For scenario / modpack: of course you can't have a regular monthly vote for best scenario... most scenarios take years to make. If there is a good place to have a contest, it would be this decade contest, and the vote can last a semi-long time, to give people a chance to check the scenarios/mods out.

For scenario / modpack: of course you can't have a regular monthly vote for best scenario... most scenarios take years to make. If there is a good place to have a contest, it would be this decade contest, and the vote can last a semi-long time, to give people a chance to check the scenarios/mods out.

^ i like that thinking.

I am only a fan of cfc, not a contributor or even an active civ player.
I love cfc mainly because of the scns/mods (and knowledgable people)
While there are many scns/mods that are great and that I enjoy,
there are only a handful or so that totally blew my mind and made me play
them over and over and over. While I do appreciate all the hard work
and talent that go into all aspects of modding, nothing blew my mind
except for those few scns/mods.

I hope that you all choose to have anniversary categories for scns/mods.
I think scns are the main reason many of us non-pros visit cfc.
(i could name my top ten favorites all time - in no particular order)

peace..

I don't know about y'all, but I would like to acknowledge some scenarios that have really improved my civ3 experience and kept me coming back 10 years later (10 years...:( I am getting old).

We should take nominations and then vote in a poll. Maybe announcing the poll on the front page might be nice, to draw some people who may have played a lot of 3 but have moved on to 4 or 5.

Not sure how to handle the scenarios. Often thought most scenarios and mods are so close together.. why not mix them up in one category. Compare medival european mod with rood of the dragon...
For importance perhaps post or views counts might be interesting...
attached a top 20 pic.
Many important and good mods.. and some i've never heard about

Attachments

• Civ3Scen.PNG
    Civ3Scen.PNG
    137 KB · Views: 287
Well, if this is to nominate scenarios, here are a few that top my list. Admittedly, I might be missing some excellent ones that were forgotten over the years,but anyways:
(In no particualar order)
Rocoteh's WW2 Global
Yoda Power's Twilight of Byzantium
Sarevok's Barbarossa:The War in the East 1941-1945 and The Great War
El Justo's Age of Imperialism and The Cold War Deluxe
King Arthur/Vuldacon's Escape From Zombie Island2: The Remake
Plotinus's The Rood and the Dragon
Luddi VII and Rambuchan's The Rise and Fall of the Mughals~v2~

Is TETurkhan´s TEST of TIME on a fixed map with preset settings now a mod or a scenario ?? :confused:

Moderator Action: Putting this in modtags since just posting it seems to have been ignored.
Please restrict discussion to the hows, not the more detailed whats. For example, discuss how to make nominations not making specific entries. Once consensus on the mechanics is reached then carrying out the actual process will begin.
While this was posted in the other thread it applies here as well. It is premature to begin posting specific nominations since we have not reached consensus as to which categories will be included. Do not do so. It will inevitably clog the thread with discussion of the merits of particular nominations. That would be counterproductive at this point.

This is specific direction by a moderator. Ignoring this direction is subject to the same actions as in any other case.

alright then. folks associated with the scenario forum should be more involved in this process, not ones who never post etc.

scenarios and mods are different and should have separate categories.

lastly, this should be fun, you know. and celebratory in a sense. it should NOT be a popularity contest; it should be based solely on the merits of the work.

Top Bottom