Civ4 PitBoss Available

The password was not lost - what happened was you went into the options screen whilst playing the turn - that 'corrupted' the password. The easiest resolution is to kick the player effected - in this case you and if you have enabled the take over AI flag you or the person effected can then retake over the race resetting the password.

Tals

tals said:
The password was not lost - what happened was you went into the options screen whilst playing the turn - that 'corrupted' the password. The easiest resolution is to kick the player effected - in this case you and if you have enabled the take over AI flag you or the person effected can then retake over the race resetting the password.

Hey Tals! Thanks! I figured it out after I realized the forums were defaulting to showing me the oldest messages first. :lol: PitBoss seems to be working well and I look forward to getting away from the old PBEM format. With 7 people a game is taking forever.

Bernout

another status update: we just started a 4-player direct ip pitboss game tonight (4 humans on team 1, 3 additional teams of 4 AI players each, huge map, permananent alliances, simultaneous turns).

of the 4 human players, 3 were on the internet, and 1 was on the same network as the pitboss, behind a NAT router.

we had no network connectivity issues, but compared to last night's game with 4 teams of 3 civs each (3 humans, 9 AIs, huge/permanent/simultaneous), performance was *horrible*. delay between turns was extreme, and pitboss was using 30% cpu consistently, on an amd athlon 64 2.2ghz with 2GB memory. going from 12 total civs (3+9) to 16 total (4 human + 12 AI) really seems to have killed performance in a big way.

or maybe we just got unlucky. a sample size of 1 is not statistically significant, after all.

-ken

That does seem strange - i've been on (inside the network) when another player has caused a turn to gen and its barely noticable. I'm hoping the group of us (about 6 players) will be joiing my current pitboss session for an hour so I can then feedback. As my server is probably the slowest that has ever run civ 4 it should be interesting :)

Tals

What am I doing wrong

I have PB in the same directory as civ4.exe and the boost_python

When I click on it I get the startings of a DOS program going to load but it does not.

I also made shure I have 1.52

Ok, latest issue...

Running a pitboss game and occasionally pitboss hangs but not obviously. The countdown clock (turn timer) is still running and you can still login to the game via gamespy. However the message I get flashing on the screen (client) is that you are waiting for other civilizations.

The setup is a pretty normal game with time limits on the turns set at 4 hours. I played the first turn and the other human player did not. Neither I or the other human player logged in to play the second turn. The "waiting for other civs" message showed up when I logged in during the third turn. The autosave did save the 1st turn but not at the closure of the second turn. (suggests to me that pitboss hung before it got around to saving at the end of the second turn)

Restarting pitboss seems have cleared whatever issue was happening (I loaded from the last save) and I was able to login and play my turn.

Any thoughts? Is this a real issue or somthing I don't understand about how to setup pitboss.

Did you install .net 1.1 after installing Civ4? If so, try installing .net first, then installing Civ4, then PitBoss.

Thanks!

Jarnhestur said:
Yes, it does.

Actually this is not true. PitBoss was running for me just fine and I didn't have .net installed. Although I did have to install it in order to use the email notification application that Scree created.

Also, for what its worth everything seems to be running fine for me even though net 1.1 was the last thing I installed. Maybe I'm just lucky. :lol:

Bernout

Agreed Bernout - civiv has no requirement for .net - although screes app makes it a must have aspect :)

Tals

Re Simulateneous Turns
verdin77 said:
No, I didn't .... hmmmmmm

This is possibly interesting as this may be an issue - I can't believe anyone is running pitboss without simulateneus turns :) That said it should work without it so it maybe worth testing with simulateneous turns - seeing if that works?

Tals

ForesterSOF said:
What am I doing wrong

I have PB in the same directory as civ4.exe and the boost_python

When I click on it I get the startings of a DOS program going to load but it does not.

I also made shure I have 1.52

Forester - just to clarify. Civ IV persumably runs ok on this machine? When you say the DOS window starts do you mean it starts and then stops sometime through it - in which case what line is it stopping on. Does it then just hang or give an error message

Tals

ForesterSOF said:
When I double click on the PitBoss.exe the DOS window pops up and fills in the word application then it closes.

I'm being dense here and I apologise "fills in the word application" what does that mean. That said I think at present i'm going to come to theinitial conclusion which would be (and I have used this to resolve issues sucesfully)

Uninstall Civ IV. Reinstall Civ IV. Update to 1.52 do not reboot your pc and then run pitboss.

Does that work?

Tals

p.s do you mean it puts the word app: (anything more) then closes?

I have tried with and without xfire and before and after booting.

Still no go.

When I start PB still only get the command then it closes.

Going to play with the install of PB and see if that will help.

Top Bottom