Civ4 PitBoss Available

downloaded a new copy and put the one file in the Civ4 directory.

The dlls seemed to load since no errors but still after starting the DOS routine it dies.

Is there another file somewher that PB wants?

The only thing I can think of now is that I installed Civ4 on my drive E: using the custom setup.
If you others that it is working on have it in C: then could it be some windows file it wants.

ForesterSOF said:
downloaded a new copy and put the one file in the Civ4 directory.

The dlls seemed to load since no errors but still after starting the DOS routine it dies.

Is there another file somewher that PB wants?

The only thing I can think of now is that I installed Civ4 on my drive E: using the custom setup.
If you others that it is working on have it in C: then could it be some windows file it wants.
I have civ4 installed on drive E: aswell, and pitboss works no problem

ForesterSOF said:
What comes after the word "application" in the Windoz DOS box as it loads.

That may tell me what it is looking for.

Below is what appears in the DOS window right before the PB server launches.
=================================
App::Active
Done reading INI
Init Progress - step 1 / 9 - Init File Catalog
Deleting file CACHE
Init Progress - step 2 / 9 - Check XML
Checksum for directory tree .\Assets\XML\ is 393ff72ccebef5a3ab6e93e6e653a07d
Init Progress - step 3 / 9 - Init MP / Voice
Init Progress - step 4 / 9 - Init Audio
Init Progress - step 5 / 9 - Init Python
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Init Progress - step 6 / 9 - Init XML (uncached)
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_MAIN_MENU_PATCH_CHECK_ERROR_TITLE
is already used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_JOIN_GAME_PASSWORD_DESC is alread
y used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_HOST_GAME_PASSWORD_DESC is alread
y used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_TUTORIAL_NOT_FOUND_TITLE is alrea
dy used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_FORCE_CONTROL_OPTIONS_DESC is alr
eady used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_PEDIA_BONUS_APPEARANCE is already
used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_PEDIA_BONUS_TRADE is already used
by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_HOST_GAME is already used by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_WB_CHANGE_ALL_PLOTS is already us
ed by var
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_WB_EDIT_CITY is already used by v
ar
FTranslator::AddText - WARNING: ID tag TXT_KEY_PITBOSS_RANDOM is already used by
var
Init Progress - step 7 / 9 - Init Engine
Init Progress - step 8 / 9 - Init Fonts (14.66s)
Init Progress - step 9 / 9 - DONE
App Init start elapsed time = 14.67, uncached XML<BR>

CvEngine::shutdownGraphics

Looks like the CvEngine does not initiate.

Any ideas how to get around this.

Would some statement in the ini force it to work.

For any techs that read this. I can do Civ4 fine and use a GForce 3 ti200.

Enable logging in the ini file then have a look in the logs to see what they are saying - they do actually make quite a lot of sense.

Tals

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate the team on their pitboss server. Apart from a few issues reported in this forum, it seems like it's pretty much complete.

It's also a very cool way of playing the game. With simultaneous turns, it scales very well (PBEM gets much slower with every player you add). The ability to blast through a few turns on the occassion you are all logged in at the same time is great (while keeping a steady turnover during the rest of the week). I love it.

I do have a few comments/suggestions for the dev team:

1. Pitboss setup should remember empty as a valid username for the smtp server. (I've tried removing the content from the parameter in the ini file, but it always insists on putting a username in.)

2. There should be a way to see who is logged in from within the game (or is there already?)

3. It should be possible to change some config options once the game has started. Most notably, the rules regarding turn time limit and the ability to take over AI slots. Changing these wouldn't alter the game rules, but they would make server admin a bit friendlier.

4. A button to turn logging on and off. (Rather than messing about in ini files and restarting the server.)

And finally, a couple of questions:

1. What information is going back to gamespy when playing a direct IP game?

2. Is there any information regarding dates for the next release?

Thanks for a great product,

Andy

Mysterio10000 said:
ALT-N will display either the civ's ping (logged in), disconnected (not logged in :crazyeye: ), or AI in the score list.

Thanks for that.

I must go read the list of keyboard shortcuts.

also, while we're talking about things we'd like to see in PitBoss:

my number one gripe with PitBoss is that there's no (apparent) way to set victory conditions. we regularly play with the turn limit, diplomatic and space race victory conditions disabled (it's not really a win if you run out of time, vote yourself the winner, or build what amounts to a super-wonder).

-ken

[off-topic: the question this post was a response to turned out to not be related to PitBoss after all]

Each leader is best suited for a certain type of victory, thus making all the victory conditions plausible and real wins.

It sounds like you feel that victory conditions that deal with combat and culture are the only ones deserving to be called "wins." Combat is not the only facet of the game one has to consider when trying to win the game. If someone plays a leader that has the Aggressive trait and didn't utilize this trait effectively throughout the game, he shouldn't whine when a non-Aggressive leader wins the game via Diplomacy, Time, or Space.

Found the problem.

An old copy of Civ 4 was on another partition.

When I removed it and did a complete wip of all Civ stuff and installed Civ PB works fine.

Now to work on setting it up and seeing what I can do.

[removed: someone considered this "a personal attack", can you can believe it?]

Hmm, you personally attacked me, so the gloves come off.

kgober said:
as it happens, I never play aggressive leaders, and I never said anything about disabling the cultural victory condition.

I never said you did. I said, "It sounds like you feel that victory conditions that deal with combat and culture are the only ones deserving to be called "wins."" Learn to read, Ken.

kgober said:
but this is getting off-topic.

It sure is thanks to you. You should have kept it on topic by leaving out your opinion that "it's not really a win if you run out of time, vote yourself the winner, or build what amounts to a super-wonder," and not turning my disagreement with you into a personal attack against you.

kgober said:
whatever reasons I may have for not wanting to include diplomacy, time or space in *my* victory conditions in the game that *I* am playing is not really your business, nor do I particularly care what your opinions on the matter are.

Again, learn to read. I'm glad you don't care what my opinion is regarding the ability to enable and disable victory conditions in a PB game, because I never gave one. I disagreed with your statement that "it's not really a win if you run out of time, vote yourself the winner, or build what amounts to a super-wonder," not with your desire to be able to select which victory conditions are enabled in a PB game.

kgober said:
my point is, if those victory conditions can be individually toggled in the regular game, then I should be able to do the same thing in PitBoss.

I agree. You assumed I did not.

kgober said:
remember PitBoss?

No, Ken--I'm dumb. Please remind me what "PitBoss" is.

kgober said:
if you want to lobby Firaxis to remove those options from the regular game, because you feel all players should always play under all the victory conditions, that is your business, and I invite you to do so in some other thread.

More incorrect assumptions.

Do us all a favor, Ken, and keep this thread on topic by excluding your personal opinions about which victory conditions are and are not "wins."

For what it's worth I think Ken is just asking that the game setup choices are the same as for a normal MP game - i'm pro that - for me it would be support of MODs.

Anyway on with the show i'm sure the devs will decide which makes sense.

Tals

As previously noted, PB does not require .net. Sorry about that. I consider Scree's app a "must have" so I tend to lump them together. Glad you got it working, though!

Top Bottom