Civ4 PitBoss Email Turn Notifier v0.1...

I don't have the issues mentioned by ColonelSanders, either.

I like the idea of not sending an email if everyone is connected, but I think the 10 minute delay works for almost all the situations.

Another enhancement - maybe when full release of pitboss occurs to determine whether Screes app will remain or not - my gut feeling is that Screes app will remain as it is so good :)

Ability to run multiple pitboss servers (obviously named differently). Whether screes app would have to have multiple instances where you selected which server you wanted it connected to or different but certainly I think i'm almost at the point where I will be hosting 2 servers.

Tals

Jarnhestur said:
I like the idea of not sending an email if everyone is connected, but I think the 10 minute delay works for almost all the situations.

Not when some players take longer than 10 minutes to take their turns.

<glares at Corossol> :p

tals said:
Another enhancement - maybe when full release of pitboss occurs to determine whether Screes app will remain or not - my gut feeling is that Screes app will remain as it is so good :)

Ability to run multiple pitboss servers (obviously named differently). Whether screes app would have to have multiple instances where you selected which server you wanted it connected to or different but certainly I think i'm almost at the point where I will be hosting 2 servers.

Tals

OK just discovered courtsey of Gythaar that pitboss can be very easy set to run as a second instance and take up the sum total of 5mb. Therefore would be very interested in the ability for turn notifier to run multiple instances :)

Tals

scree said:
Hey Andy.. I'm having trouble reproducing these problems. Can you tell me what OS you're running PBNotify under? Is it an English OS?

Hi Scree,

I am using a fully patched win2K. (UK English, if that makes a diference.)

Pitboss and pbnotify are both running out of the same directory (my civilization install dir).

The error message appears in the MOTD area under the three MOTD options. It occurs when pitboss is up and running before I start pbnotify.

Enabling and or disabling any one of the MOTD options enables pbnotify to find the pitboss server. It's very strange behaviour, but not a show stopper with the afore-mentioned work around.

Interesting that no-one else is having this problem. That does suggest something is up with my system.

Andy

Mysterio10000 said:
Hey, scree.

As a replacement to your delay feature and assuming your app can monitor the state of the Ping value (# (latency), Disconnected, or AI), I was thinking about the following conditions and effects when the year increments:

Condition: All Pings = # or AI (all players currently online)
Effect: Disable delivery of e-mails

Condition: At least one Ping = Disconnected (at least one player not online)
Effect: Enable delivery of e-mails without a delay

What do you think, Oh Wise Coder? :)

Hmm, great suggestion! I'll take a look at how hard it would be to read the Ping text.

~Scree

PitBoss Turn Notify v1.0 Released!! The links to the program and source are in the first post, as always. (Make sure v1.0 is written in the application title when you run it- you may have to clear your web cache to get the latest file).

Changes in v1.0:
  • Added multiple PitBoss profiles/settings for each PitBoss game. See "PitBoss Profiles" in the first post for info on how this works.
  • Added support for multiple simultaneous PitBoss/PitBoss Notify instances. This means you can run multiple copies of PitBoss and PitBoss Turn Notifier on one machine, each with their own settings.
  • Added checking for active games (where everyone is online) before sending email. Kept a 5 minute floating time window before sending a Turn E-mail in case people get disconnected during an on-line game. (Thanks Mysterio10000 for this great suggestion)

Most of the stuff here should be automatic (there are minimal UI changes). Let me know if any of this is broken. I've added a link to the older (v0.43) version in the original post as well, just in case.

~Scree

Hi Scree,

Thanks for the new version. You certainly respond to peoples requests and suggestions quicker than Firaxis have previously managed!

Regarding the bug I reported, I have more details now. It only occurs when Timestamp and Turnstamp are off.

To reproduce:
1) Start a game with PiTBoSs.
2) Start PBNotify
3) Ensure Timestamp and Turnstamp are turned off.
4) Exit PBNotify
5) Restart PBNotify
6) Assuming Timestamp and Turnstamp are off when PBNotify starts, you should see the message "PitBoss not found. Run PitBoss to link".

If the above doesn't allow you to reproduce the bug, please let me know and I'll investigate further.

Any way, thanks for another great release of PBNotify,

Andy

ColonelSanders said:
Hi Scree,

Thanks for the new version. You certainly respond to peoples requests and suggestions quicker than Firaxis have previously managed!

Regarding the bug I reported, I have more details now. It only occurs when Timestamp and Turnstamp are off.

To reproduce:
1) Start a game with PiTBoSs.
2) Start PBNotify
3) Ensure Timestamp and Turnstamp are turned off.
4) Exit PBNotify
5) Restart PBNotify
6) Assuming Timestamp and Turnstamp are off when PBNotify starts, you should see the message "PitBoss not found. Run PitBoss to link".

If the above doesn't allow you to reproduce the bug, please let me know and I'll investigate further.

Any way, thanks for another great release of PBNotify,

Andy

Awesome- this helps a bunch. I'll repro and get a fix out asap.

~Scree

Scree, this is an excellent utility. The ability to automatically email 32 (and counting) players when a new turn starts is unbelievably handy... especially when Realpolitik requires 8+ players to discuss & vote on building, improvement & strategy decisions in a quick & efficient manner.. our turn timer is 48 hours... but we want to churn through the turns as soon as possible.

Just a suggestion to further expand your program.

1. In the PTBS screen, it shows who has logged in, and at what time. Is it possible for you to dump this log-in... and hopefully log-out info, to a .txt file? This would be great info for myself to hand on to the Leaders of each of my Civs...

Cheers, and again.. thanks.

That's right, I knew I'd left something out.... and this is the big one.

I run PTBS 24/7... I sleep, I work. I've had several issues to overcome... one for example... I'm getting my apartment renovated right now... and each day I've come home, I've found the computer switched off.

An autosave function would be AMAZING... especially one that could automatically save the game when you want... hourly, once a day... whatever.

Achieve this, and I will bow my head in honour. (Sorry, I'm playing as the Japanese in my Realpolitik)

Out of interest - something I hadn't realised - any player can do a save in a pitboss game. So if a player does a turn they do not want to loose they can save at that point. Not assisting your query but useful to know - it did save me in a current game i'm playing where it takes one of the players 1/2 hour to do a turn and the game crashed shortly afterwards :(

Tals

Hmm, so if I save the game whilst 'in the game', I can then reload it through PTBS?

Well, it's handy to know... but trying to backtrack who logged in last could be an issue... y'know, with 32 players and all!

HI

I cant seem to download the notifier. can some one upload it somewhere and provide me with link

thanks

buldozer said:
HI

I cant seem to download the notifier. can some one upload it somewhere and provide me with link

thanks

Sorry- server went down. It's back up now, links should work now :)

~Scree

Scree, does the notifier care which port the server is running on?

A friend of mine is hosting a PitBoss game and the notifier doesn't seem to be working. He says it started acting up after he switched to a different port (2057 instead of 2056).

Bernout

Top Bottom