Civilization Revolution for Wii Postponed

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
A spokesperson from 2K Games told IGN today that development for the Wii version of Civilization Revolution has been put on hold indefinitely, and that they are focusing their attention "on creating the best possible Civilization experience for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo DS platforms."

The Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo DS versions of Civilization Revolution are all expected to come out in Q2 of 2008.

Thanks for the news, TF. I can't say I'm particularly happy, or even that I understand this. "Postponed indefinitely" is a polite way of saying that the Wii version of the game is being canceled. :(

I'm not sure why Take-Two would want to pull the plug on a Wii version of this game, since it's (by far) the top-selling console on the market. The demographics of Wii owners also seem to fit better with Civilization than with the 360 or PS3, which are almost entirely owned by adolescent males. Not usually a group that's big on turn-based strategy games.

Maybe this is why Take-Two can publish major hits every year, yet still find ways to lose millions of dollars every quarter...

Thanks for the news, TF. I can't say I'm particularly happy, or even that I understand this. "Postponed indefinitely" is a polite way of saying that the Wii version of the game is being canceled. :(

I'm not sure why Take-Two would want to pull the plug on a Wii version of this game, since it's (by far) the top-selling console on the market. The demographics of Wii owners also seem to fit better with Civilization than with the 360 or PS3, which are almost entirely owned by adolescent males. Not usually a group that's big on turn-based strategy games.

Maybe this is why Take-Two can publish major hits every year, yet still find ways to lose millions of dollars every quarter...

I think its a good move to be honest. Serious Wii games don't sell. At all. Why make the effort of making it work on the Wii (And considering how powerful the Wii is, I imagine it's a lot of effort) if it won't sell that well?

I recently read an article that says third party titles have achieved little success on the Wii so far. The best selling Wii games are all created by Nintendo...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141528-c,games/article.html

Perhaps that's one of the reasons 2K/Firaxis give it lower priority than other platforms...

I'm not sure why Take-Two would want to pull the plug on a Wii version of this game, since it's (by far) the top-selling console on the market. .
Not if you take Japan out of the equation which would probably be a hard sale there. (not much of pc market) With America & Europe market X360 has a slight edge over the Wii for now.

Bummer. I actually was glad to hear it was originally coming later, I figured that would give a chance to get some bugs out. I hope the DS version is OK, sounds like that is the only one I'll be able to play.

Ouch! Was so looking forward to the Wii version.

Own both a Wii and a few DS'es and was planning to buy it for both systems.

Still I wouldn't be to amazed if a Wii version comes later on. The Wii is a big market all by itself and the controller seems great for it imo.

Wonder or this is just a sneaky PR move... It might be handy that people know now that waiting for a Wii version is no use so go and buy the DS/XBOX360/PS3 version. Hmm... :)

Anyway hoping it will still see the light of the day sometime. Although if the go and work on new PC titles after they ship the DS/XBO360/PS3 version I'm also happy.

Its a shame they couldn't make a version for the Wii/PS2 instead of for the PS3, think that would have sold a lot more units. Still the next gen version is looking sweet, for a Civilization version that is.

I think its a good move to be honest. Serious Wii games don't sell. At all. Why make the effort of making it work on the Wii (And considering how powerful the Wii is, I imagine it's a lot of effort) if it won't sell that well?

This is a great myth of the gaming industry. It also happens to be entirely untrue! The Wii already (easily) moves more hardware than its competitors. It also moves more software than either the 360 or the PS3 (try looking here for a typical weekly example of just how dominant the Wii and DS are currently). But even that's not enough: the Wii is also selling considerably more THIRD-PARTY software than the PS3, and it's rapidly catching up to the 360. Here's a look worldwide:

Wii Million Sellers (4)
Mario and Sonic (1.46m)
Resident Evil 4 (1.18m)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (1.17m)
Red Steel (1.03m)
(Guitar Hero 3 is at 0.99m, but I'll be nice and not count it!)

PS3 Million Sellers (2)
Call of Duty 4 (1.15m)
Assassin's Creed (1.13m)

Looks like the Wii is doing much better there. How about 500k sellers?

Wii 500k Sellers (11)
Mario and Sonic (1.46m)
Resident Evil 4 (1.18m)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (1.17m)
Red Steel (1.03m)
Guitar Hero 3 (990k)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (790k)
Tiger Woods 07 (750k)
Cooking Mama (550k)
My Sims (550k)
Trauma Center (510k)
Umbrella Chronicles (500k)
Total: 9.48m

PS3 500k Sellers (10)
Call of Duty 4 (1.15m)
Assassin's Creed (1.13m)
FIFA 08 (800k)
Pro Evo 2008 (670k)
Need for Speed Carbon (640k)
Ridge Racer 7 (610k)
Need for Speed Prostreet (600k)
Madden 08 (580k)
Oblivion (550k)
Call of Duty 3 (530k)
Total: 7.26m

OK, but you could say that the target audience for Civ Revolutions is America only, I guess. What does the situation look like there:

Third Party Sales, America Only

Million Sellers
Wii: 1 (Guitar Hero)
PS3: 0

500k Sellers
Wii: 4
PS3: 3

400k Sellers
Wii: 11
PS3: 6

300k Sellers
Wii: 15
PS3: 9

200k Sellers
Wii: 27
PS3: 19

In short, if Take-Two is buying into the "third party games don't sell on Wii" mythology, they are complete idiots who deserve to see poor sales. If they're willing to port from the 360 to the DS (the freakin' DS!), there's absolutely no excuse not to make a port for the Wii. I guess the publisher likes losing money...

By the way, that article you linked to is full of misconceptions and outright lies, TF. Just to clarify (although I doubt anyone is reading this thread):

"Whilst the sales weren't as high as I hoped, other titles for Wii aren't selling so well either," said No More Heroes director Goichi Suda in an interview with CVG last week.

I don't know what Suda is talking about. His game (No More Heroes) was never going to sell very well in Japan. Still, it's sold 30,000 copies so far over there, which is already triple what his previous game (Killer 7) sold LIFETIME in Japan - on Gamecube and PS2. That's a serious improvement right there. Now if No More Heroes bombs in America, he can start talking.

He went on to say, "Before I was making this game, I wasn't expecting that Wii would be a console targeted only for non-gamers. I expected more games for hardcore gamers. The reality is different to what I expected."

More misinformation. What are the top selling Wii games? Mario Galaxy is over 5m sales already; is Mario now something only played by "non-gamers"? Zelda Twilight Princess has sold 4.5m copies. Hmmm. Guitar Hero 3 and Resident Evil 4 are both over a million in sales by now. Metroid Prime 3 and Red Steel are also both million sellers. But I guess these are all casual games, right?

In 2006, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess did little more than induce yawns from Japanese gamers, and didn't sell as expected in the U.S.

This is simply wrong. Twilight Princess (4.46m) is just about to move ahead of Link to the Past (4.61m) on the list of top-selling Zelda games, into third place behind Ocarina of Time (7.60m) and the original game (6.51m). And that's not even including the 1.34m sales it did on the Gamecube as well (add those, and sales are nearing 6m overall!) You'd have to be crazy to argue that it "didn't sell as expected" from that data. The only accurate point is that the game didn't sell too well in Japan, although I'm not sure exactly what that proves, since many other Wii titles have done extremely well in Japan.

However, the possibility exists where some third-party Wii developers may grow impatient with failure, and ditch the platform altogether much like previous Nintendo systems.

Honestly, name a single high-profile Wii title from a third-party that "failed" to sell. I can't think of any. Most of the third party titles so far have been shovelware; the actual, real titles (like Mario and Sonic/Sega, Guitar Hero/RedOctane, Resident Evil 4/Capcom, Rayman and Red Steel/Ubisoft) have all been major successes. Even drek like MySims (800k) High School Musical (610k) and Carnival Games (600k) are selling WELL above expectations. Capcom publically said they were hoping for 400k sales from Resident Evil 4. Well, the game has sold 1.4m copies already! :eek: How's that for breaking expectations?

I honestly don't care who "wins" the console wars, but I don't like it when misinformation and outright inaccuracies continue to get perpetuated. And there's no excuse not to see a Wii version of Civ Revolutions. None.

How big can the civ-curious wii-playing audience be anyway? I think 2K did some quick calculations on Wii hardcore games sales and made a decision.

About the middle of last year I picked up a XBox 360. I've always liked consoles for sports games and 1st person shooters, and the idea of XBox live sounded great. I did take a good hard look at the PS3, but the WII really didn't appeal to me on any level. On the other hand, RTS and 4X games (Civ & Galactic Civ) always seem to do better on the PC, and I planned to upgrade my PC just to play the next gen of games.

Now that I've seen some screen shots of CivRev, I'm real happy I went with the XBox, looks like im not going to have to spend $$$ to upgrade my graphics card, RAM, and Vista just to run DX-10 games.

I havn't played a WII yet (my wife wants to get one for games like bowling) but it looks like the weakest of the new systems. Im not really surprised that it couldn't handle a big game like Civ.

Really looking forward to CivRev on XBox :) is it April yet?

I havn't played a WII yet (my wife wants to get one for games like bowling) but it looks like the weakest of the new systems. Im not really surprised that it couldn't handle a big game like Civ.
Umm ... the fact that it's still coming out on DS should've told you this reasoning is completely bogus.

The comment about third party wii titles seems off base too. Off the top of my head the most comparable genre game to this on wii is Battalion Wars II, and I thought that was doing well sales wise (as did original BW on gamecube)

Umm ... the fact that it's still coming out on DS should've told you this reasoning is completely bogus.

Hmmm... Have you seen the screen shots of the XBox 360 version vs the DS? Sorry, the DS looks like a joke. The Wii doesn't have near as much graphics processing as a 360 or PS3, im not surprised that it couldn't handle CivRev. Mario Galaxy looks like a PS2 game... a bad 5 year old PS2 game at that.

If your into graphics, and high fps, you need a 360, PS3 or a $1500 PC. Sorry, but hardcore gamers consider the Wii a novelty.

Or are you saying that its ok for the Wii version of CivRev to look like DS?

Damit all I have of them is a Wii. My sister owns a DS so mabye I can steal that for a while :evil:.

I have a wii and all I'm saying is that it is brilliant. The contolls are a masterclass. My favourite game is call of duty3. I've played that game on 360 as well and while the graphics were better (slightly), the wii controller made up for it and more. I've only played a ps3 a little so I won't pass judgement.

Oh man, I'm really disappointed, as the Wii is the only system I have. I was really looking forward to Civ Rev! I just hope that 2k will eventually finish it, even if it is next year!

Hmmm... Have you seen the screen shots of the XBox 360 version vs the DS? Sorry, the DS looks like a joke. The Wii doesn't have near as much graphics processing as a 360 or PS3, im not surprised that it couldn't handle CivRev. Mario Galaxy looks like a PS2 game... a bad 5 year old PS2 game at that.
There is a point here in that reviewers will be a lot more forgiving when comparing DS version over PS360 which is an advantage the Wii doesn't have. While Civ2 did get ported to PS the PS couldn't run the game as well as the PC which was clearly noted by the reviewers.
As far as graphic I believe Wii probably could handle them yet it is Wii low ram compared to PS360 which may be the big difference.

Top Bottom