Civilization Revolution for Wii Postponed

I think the fact that we already have four different people, just in this tiny little thread, posting "I have a Wii and I was looking forward to Civ Revolutions" is a sign that Take-Two didn't think this one through completely. :smoke:

I havn't played a WII yet (my wife wants to get one for games like bowling) but it looks like the weakest of the new systems. Im not really surprised that it couldn't handle a big game like Civ.

Really looking forward to CivRev on XBox :) is it April yet?

:lol: LOL :lol: are you stupid, i waited 3 months to get my wii, and that isnt even long compared to other ppl, my bother got his x-box in one day and people from the game store said that they had many more in stock. wii's to this day are selling out the day they arive on the shelves, if you look at chistmas sales wii owend the x-box and ps3 put together. i bet you that more copies of civ would be sold on wii than any other console.

I think the fact that we already have four different people, just in this tiny little thread, posting "I have a Wii and I was looking forward to Civ Revolutions" is a sign that Take-Two didn't think this one through completely. :smoke:
The same could be said of the PS2 and the PSP as well. Who knows if Revolution will sell big on any system yet.

And another right here.

I just bought a used DS Lite from Gamestop yesterday, along w/ a new copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Really looking forward to CivRev for DS, but was also going to put down the $ for a Wii version. Let's hope it sees the light of day.

There are lots of theories floating around here, so I figured I'd jump in with some answers (please don't attack me here).

The plan for the Wii version, just like all the other versions of CivRev was to do it in-house at Firaxis. Unfortunately it became obvious that Firaxis just didn't have the manpower to do four versions of the game simultaneously, so it was put on indefinite hiatus (it may still come back, but no work is being done on it now).

We could have found an outside developer to rush it, or we could have done a shoddy port, but either of those wouldn't have been up to the standards people expect from a game with the SM's Civilization name on the box.

As for the comments wondering why we're doing a PS3 version but not a Wii version, again, it comes down to manpower. People always assume that it's harder to do a PS3 version of a game than a Wii one, but that's really not the case. No version is a cakewalk, but the PS3 version uses more or less the same engine and assets as the 360. On the other hand, the Wii version needs a new, lower-end graphics engine and all assets need to be scaled down to run on that platform. That's no small feat, and it's all very time consuming.

And finally, aside from CivRev there are other, really, really cool projects in the works at Firaxis (you'll hear about one of those in the not too distant future). Rather than take away from those we put the Wii version on hold.

So there you go. Again, please don't attack me here, I'm just explaining things.

The plan for the Wii version, just like all the other versions of CivRev was to do it in-house at Firaxis. Unfortunately it became obvious that Firaxis just didn't have the manpower to do four versions of the game simultaneously, so it was put on indefinite hiatus (it may still come back, but no work is being done on it now).

But, the Wii was slated for a later release. I think Wii people weren't sold on this reason (in the news item) for this... reason.

On the other hand, the Wii version needs a new, lower-end graphics engine and all assets need to be scaled down to run on that platform. That's no small feat, and it's all very time consuming.

Now this is what the Wii community needed to hear, to understand, but... (working on a credible response).

And finally, aside from CivRev there are other, really, really cool projects in the works at Firaxis (you'll hear about one of those in the not too distant future). Rather than take away from those we put the Wii version on hold.

Civ players are generally only concerned about Civ. Whether these projects are cool or not is irrelevant...to us.

So there you go. Again, please don't attack me here, I'm just explaining things.

You big baby! :cry:

;)

Thank you for replying, Jason. I know that there's absolutely no obligation to do so on the part of the developer/publisher, and if anything, it usually only gets you in trouble. Letting us know your side of the story always helps give those of us on the outside a fuller picture.

As dojoboy said, I think a lot of us were surprised because the Wii version was already slated for a release six months (or more) later than the other platforms. I know that Firaxis is a small developer - I worked on-site with Firaxis in 2005 and 2006 - so I think we assumed that the delay was for the very reason you stated. Similarly, if there had never been an announcement of a Wii version, it wouldn't have been a big deal. To announce that a version is on its way, then pull back the rug later on, is bound to cause some resentment. I hope you can understand that.

I know that you can't talk about it, but I'd love to know what the publishers at Take-Two has been thinking throughout this whole saga. I suspect this decision has as much to do with the publisher, as it does with limited development resources...

Again, thank you for replying. I apologize if I came off too unfriendly; I have a lot of respect for Firaxis as a developer, much less for Take-Two as a publisher.

2K will probably waiting to see how well it sales on Xbox360 before continuing development for Wii. If Xbox360 sales are very low then I doubt you'll ever see this on Wii.

:lol: LOL :lol: are you stupid, i waited 3 months to get my wii, and that isnt even long compared to other ppl, my bother got his x-box in one day and people from the game store said that they had many more in stock. wii's to this day are selling out the day they arive on the shelves, if you look at chistmas sales wii owend the x-box and ps3 put together. i bet you that more copies of civ would be sold on wii than any other console.

So becuse something is popular its better? So what are you going to do with all those Britteny Spears CDs you bought? :lol:

You need to read Jasons post. The Wii has the weakest graphics processor of all the "next gen" consoles. Im really not surprised it couldn't handle the same engine that was going to run on the 360/PS3.

If Im so stupid how come Im going to be playing CivRev on my XBox 360 in April, and you'll still be playing "Bowling for old folks"?

You need to read Jasons post. The Wii has the weakest graphics processor of all the "next gen" consoles. Im really not surprised it couldn't handle the same engine that was going to run on the 360/PS3.

Graphics are important to a point, but the Wii's popularity, among other things, proves that graphics are not what keeps people playing games. I would love to have a 360, but I had to choose one. The Wii won.

Graphics are important to a point, but the Wii's popularity, among other things, proves that graphics are not what keeps people playing games. I would love to have a 360, but I had to choose one. The Wii won.
Yet if you had a 360 also which system would you get Revolution for? thus the only reason people will buy this game for the Wii is because it's all they got. The same with me when I got Civ2 for the PS years ago as I didn't have a working PC at the time. PS popularity didn't help Civ2 sales very much since it ran a lot better on a PC. If I had a PC back then I wouldn't ever bought civ2 for PS either.

So becuse something is popular its better? So what are you going to do with all those Britteny Spears CDs you bought? :lol:

If Im so stupid how come Im going to be playing CivRev on my XBox 360 in April, and you'll still be playing "Bowling for old folks"?

Actually, I suspect I'll be playing Super Smash Bros Brawl or Mario Kart Wii.

Yet if you had a 360 also which system would you get Revolution for? thus the only reason people will buy this game for the Wii is because it's all they got.

Whichever was on sale or the least expensive. I'm a working man on a family budget.

You missed something. I don't own a 360 because I'd rather have a Wii. It's simply a better package for my family and affordable (with the kids' grandparent money thrown in from b-days).

If I was single, in college, slamming brews,...I'd be into a 360 and a stack of shooters. But these days, Civ rules.

I still would love to have one.

Whichever was on sale or the least expensive. I'm a working man on a family budget.

You missed something. I don't own a 360 because I'd rather have a Wii. It's simply a better package for my family and affordable (with the kids' grandparent money thrown in from b-days).

If I was single, in college, slamming brews,...I'd be into a 360 and a stack of shooters. But these days, Civ rules.

I still would love to have one.

You summed up my feelings/thoughts about the Wii exactly. IMO it's a console for kids and old folks (and Japanese?). Thats not to say it's not "good" or "fun", just that I am not in the demographic.

I also think that strategy games (Civ, Galactic Civ, C&C) are best on the PC. It will be interesting to see how CivRev holds up on the 360/PS3.

Im on a budget too, but when I really looked at it, the 360 was the best buy FOR ME. The cost of a new DX-10 gaming PC is from $1500-$4,000. Also, when I looked at what titles where coming out, it seemed that most of the ones I was interested in where coming to the 360. Really, the only PC game coming out in the next year that I KNOW I have to get is Spore.

Really, the only PC game coming out in the next year that I KNOW I have to get is Spore.

There will be a Wii version of Spore. :) Not Civ, but a pretty cool game.

First off, Tarmac, graphics are not everything... especially this day in age. I really see little difference between the consoles graphics wise. Most of the difference that is there has to do with the developers. Mario Galaxy looks like a PS2 game... whatever! I am so sick of the whole graphics debate that it deserves another thread/blog/editorial (whathaveyou) in and of itself.

Also, your argument that the Wii is for kiddies and old people is pure fanboy talk. I have talked with many people, including those that always put me down for liking Nintendo Consoles (X-Box and Sony loyalists), talking up the Wii. In any case, yes, the Wii has attracted non-traditional gamers. If anything, that would be more reason for a Wii version. After all, the whole point of CivRev, as Firaxis has stated time and time again, is to bring new gamers to the franchise. What better way then to release it on a console that has a wide userbase and is not limited to a narrow demographic. Not only do you get the console gamers, but also the younger generation, as well as the older ones who would be intrigued by the content of the game. To outright cancel the Wii version would be counter-productive to the ultimate goal.

Well, I'm not going to waste any more space on you Tarmac. The bottom line is if you don't want the Wii version, you don't have to get it. Their is no point in you coming on here and bashing the Wii or a version of CivRev on the Wii for the rest of us.

As for 2K_Jason, thank you for coming on here and posting. Before I saw your post, I was ready to come on here and flame 2K to the ground. But seeing someone from the company actually came onto a fansite forum and plead the case for the decision. Now, that doesn't mean that your out of hot water, but I can respond in a calmer tone. ;)

First, see above in my response to Tarmac about how this decision counters the stated goals of CivRev. Second, I own a Wii and a DS but neither the PS3 or the 360. While I still plan to get the 360 at some point, I will NEVER get a PS3. That said, I was always planning on getting the DS and Wii versions of CivRev. I had decided that since I first found out the consoles that it was going to be released on... even if my budget allowed me to get a 360 earlier than the games release, I would still wait for the Wii version. Now that this sad news is out, I still plan on getting the DS and the Wii versions only. If the Wii version never comes out, then I will never get a home console version... just the DS. So I can be added to the list of people who are counted out of experiencing the console version of CivRev. And I know a lot of people who might be interested in the game, but do not own or care about the PS3 or 360. I'm just throwing that out as food for thought and maybe some points for you to take to your next board meeting at 2K.

First off, Tarmac, graphics are not everything... especially this day in age. I really see little difference between the consoles graphics wise. Most of the difference that is there has to do with the developers. Mario Galaxy looks like a PS2 game... whatever! I am so sick of the whole graphics debate that it deserves another thread/blog/editorial (whathaveyou) in and of itself.

Also, your argument that the Wii is for kiddies and old people is pure fanboy talk. I have talked with many people, including those that always put me down for liking Nintendo Consoles (X-Box and Sony loyalists), talking up the Wii. In any case, yes, the Wii has attracted non-traditional gamers. If anything, that would be more reason for a Wii version. After all, the whole point of CivRev, as Firaxis has stated time and time again, is to bring new gamers to the franchise. What better way then to release it on a console that has a wide userbase and is not limited to a narrow demographic. Not only do you get the console gamers, but also the younger generation, as well as the older ones who would be intrigued by the content of the game. To outright cancel the Wii version would be counter-productive to the ultimate goal.

Well, I'm not going to waste any more space on you Tarmac. The bottom line is if you don't want the Wii version, you don't have to get it. Their is no point in you coming on here and bashing the Wii or a version of CivRev on the Wii for the rest of us.

Wow, you called me a Fanboy... nice.

For the record: I owned, and enjoyed, a Nintendo AND a Super Nintendo. I never owned a Xbox before this. I did have a PS, & PS2 (don't forget the SEGA!). I also owned an Amiga and a dozen other PCs. I didn't "bash" the Wii, I just pointed out the FACT that it doesn't have near and much graphics power as the 360/PS3. If you don't see the difference in graphics between the Wii, and 360/PS3 you need to get your eyes checked.

When I look at games like Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Mario Cart the 1st thing that comes to mind is "these games where made for kids". THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, just that im not a kid anymore, nor do I own any. If im going to play a car racing game I'd rather play more of a sim like Forza Motorsports 2 or a good F-1 game, and Im just not into fighting games.

Graphics wasn't the only reason I went with the 360, I looked at what games where coming out for each of the consoles before I bought, and at the time (last year) the XBox Live seemed to be better developed then ether of the other consoles online capabilities. If you have a Wii, you missed Bioshock and Mass Effect (both very good RPGs), Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, and the Orange Box (FPS goodness) and your going to miss Age of Conan (1st console MMO!). When I looked at the Wii, I only saw a couple titles that interested me at all (No More Heroes, and Godzilla).

PS: I hope that the PS3/360 versions do well enough to allow them to do a Wii port, but some how I can't see "Little Timmy" or Grand Ma Parker getting into Civ. On the other hand, all the old geezer guys (like me) who are into stuff like this own PC's and already play Civ :)

If you have a Wii, you missed Bioshock and Mass Effect (both very good RPGs), Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, and the Orange Box (FPS goodness) and your going to miss Age of Conan (1st console MMO!).

I only own a Wii, and I own both CoD4 and Orange Box on my PC, Halo has never really appealed to me, and RPGs are dull for me. So, what exactly am I missing?

I only own a Wii, and I own both CoD4 and Orange Box on my PC, Halo has never really appealed to me, and RPGs are dull for me. So, what exactly am I missing?

Your missing nothing, but a PC that runs FPS as well as a 360/PS3 would cost between $1,500 & $4,000. Thats one of the main reasons why I bought a 360, cost effectiveness.

A Nvidia GT8800 video card alone cost $450.

Your missing nothing, but a PC that runs FPS as well as a 360/PS3 would cost between $1,500 & $4,000. Thats one of the main reasons why I bought a 360, cost effectiveness.

A Nvidia GT8800 video card alone cost $450.
You don't need a GT8800 to runs game with 360 graphics as the much cheaper 8600 would be a better comparison. So an average tower $600- $700 plus a 8600GT would be more closer to the price unless you are referring to laptops. While still higher than a console (Sony until lately was losing millions on their system) it's nowhere near $1500. If you included monitor vs HDTV for then getting a HDTV for these consoles will cost you a little more than a good pc monitor.

Top Bottom