Communitu_79

The fastest way to check resource amount is the monopoly screen. Pick your own civ from the dropdown menu and you can see the amount of each resource by hovering on the percentage.

Hi just downloaded the newest Communitu map script and it seems that ancient ruins are spawning on mountains again?
Is that intentional? If it is it seems to be advantageous to the Incans.

Hi just downloaded the newest Communitu map script and it seems that ancient ruins are spawning on mountains again?
Is that intentional? If it is it seems to be advantageous to the Incans.

The fastest way to check resource amount is the monopoly screen. Pick your own civ from the dropdown menu and you can see the amount of each resource by hovering on the percentage.

That's what I did. But you can't do that at the beginning of the game. I would imagine that info is stored in a file somewhere when the map is generated.

Mapscripts aren't responsible for ancient ruin spawns. Check your mods.

I've made it to Renaissance in my current game on the 4-17 beta. Playing on a standard size map, 18 cs, all other settings standard. So far I've only revealed horses and iron; 52 and 110 respectively. What's more peculiar is that of 10 cs I've met, 9 have ivory as their unique lux. Only one has horses. I know that CS tend to have the same lux, but usually I see like 3 or 4. Is it really just RNG?

Otherwise the map looks fantastic and starting distribution seems well balanced - which has definitely been an issue on some rolls.

Luxury is all VP, so it's either RNG or there's something in VP code.

You can get all resource numbers by switching from All to your own civ in the monopoly screen, even on turn 0. Probably an exploit now that I think of it.

Luxury is all VP, so it's either RNG or there's something in VP code.

You can get all resource numbers by switching from All to your own civ in the monopoly screen, even on turn 0. Probably an exploit now that I think of it.

Good to know! Or not..that info could certainly be exploited. In total there are 14 ivory. I really think something is going on here - whether VP or the map script. I've never seen more than 8 of a lux on standard map.

Thanks for continuing to develop the Communitas map, I'm really enjoying all the improvements.

Tundra now doesn't feel like a wasteland, the food from deer and plentiful resources makes it a pretty good location if settled well! I'm finding however that playing as a Forest-start civ (e.g. America, Iroquois), a disproportionate amount of starts I get placed in Tundra. This in itself isn't too bad with the Tundra changes, but Tundra starts seem to have a high probability of being alone on a small-ish North/South landmass with at most 1 other civ occasionally. This makes it kind of predictable, which isn't the case with other starts.

I guess I'm wanting to get a more long snakey Pangaea-ish continent with a good number of civs that connects to the Tundra forests. I'm using 0-1 rifts and I've tried reducing mglobal.landMinScatter and mglobal.landMaxScatter to decent results, is there anything else I'm missing?

The horizontal rift that makes it easier to circumnavigate also tends to cut continents in half, making smaller islands. You can try commenting out that function call.

In fact, we could disable that if you pick 0-1 rifts. Hmm...

The horizontal rift that makes it easier to circumnavigate also tends to cut continents in half, making smaller islands. You can try commenting out that function call.

In fact, we could disable that if you pick 0-1 rifts. Hmm...
That alone won't make the rest of the land masses behave like a pangea, though. The scattering is what changes the blocky aspect. There are two scatterings, the general one, with min and max, governing the form of the continents, and the coastal that governs the shape of the coast. The coastal scattering is what makes the coast have some isthmus here and there.

For blocky shapes he needs to use very low general scattering values, both at min and max values. Removing drifts may help too. There's a line that prevents forming a second ocean when the map is thinner than 30 tiles. That could be increased to 90 tiles so only one ocean is ever formed.

Very big thx again @tu_79 and @azum4roll . Versions after versions the script become a pure jewel.

Even more options could make this MapScript the ultimate VP MapScript forever.
I don't know if it's possible, I suggest:

- Frequency / length of rivers
- Force to avoid settles in desert/toundra
- Natural Wonder: Force more or less. Force 1 NW next to the first settle

Very big thx again @tu_79 and @azum4roll . Versions after versions the script become a pure jewel.

Even more options could make this MapScript the ultimate VP MapScript forever.
I don't know if it's possible, I suggest:

- Frequency / length of rivers
- Force to avoid settles in desert/toundra
- Natural Wonder: Force more or less. Force 1 NW next to the first settle
I don't know how to change the starting capitals, but the rivers are actually quite simple.

Open the script and go to the initial variables. There are two relevant values, watershed and humidity. One controls how strong is the humidity versus the orography is at creating rivers, the other simply increases the amount of tiles with fresh water. Increase one variable while reducing the other and you'll get longer or shorter rivers. Increase only one and you'll get more rivers in general.

Beware that it's hard to find a nice spot. These are simple tweaks that anyone should be able to do for themselves.

Hey, some of the issues you mention are from the very first release, you sure you are in the 1.16 version?

About rifts.
Currently they are defined here:
mglobal.oceanRiftWidth = math.max(2, Round(mapW/30))
This means the impassable tiles are 2, except for small maps, where it is 1.
I think there is a bug. should be math.min function.
If everyone wants it bigger, it can be changed to
mglobal.oceanRiftWidth = math.max(3, 1 + Round(mapW/30))

Also, atlantic and pacific are basically different. Atlantic are bigger at the poles, and form some Greenland masses. Pacific are bigger at the equator and form many small islands. I find Atlantic ones harder to traverse.

I placed more land in purpose. The logic is that even though the Earth percentage of land is lower, this map does not include the last 5 degrees in latitude (the polar regions). Since the land masses are not very blocky, I felt that more land was needed for breathing.

About inland seas, I tried to raise the number of lakes, and it kinda works for standard map size, but for large maps the become inland seas, and then some canals will try to open paths. I couldn't find an elegant solution, but would hate to miss lakes. (maybe the ideal way is to force the creation of lakes of a given size, instead of letting the random generator do its work).

Are those offshore islands in a Pacific ocean? Also, they should have some nice resources around, so most islands are settleable.

Thanks for testing. Feedback is necessary.

Thanks for the response. I'll double check my version tonight and try out the new patch you released.

Is it working with Even More Resources from @HungryForFood? How would you compare it to popular tectonic script?

How would you compare it to popular tectonic script?
Tectonics is much bigger, and while it is quite random, coastlines are not as interesting as Communitas. Tectonics mountain chains were more tactical, but I've done my best to replicate it a bit. In fact, Communitas was just a little bit better at anything but resources, which are over abundant.

What I've done is:
Removed the polar canals and open just one 'Magallanes' canal. Increased land percentage to compensate.
Removed Oceania like islands, which were placed in addition to normal island generation.
Ocean rifts form follows terrain altitude.
Tweaked islands in middle oceans so they are more like the real ones.
Changed atoll logic and fish abundance so subtropical islands have nice yields.
Adapted climates to include cold deserts.
Included a logic for forest expansion.
Jungles/forest depend now on heat and water, not on latitude.
Increased rivers length, reduced rivers abundance at the equator.
Changed ice logic so subpolar regions have always access to sea.
Allowed a bit of snow, although they are more frequent in mountains.
Changed strategics allocation, so some resource is always scarce in a region.
Generally speaking, I changed every terrain generation that looked like a mathematical proxy to reality to something more organic, to my ability extend.

Then azum4roll helped with tons of other things:
Prevented lakes from becoming inner seas.
Fixed the way resources are placed, for better tweaking.
Included lots of pre-made options (a favourite for many people).
Better code preventing weird values, for future tweaks.
Fixed starting locations.

Try it, and if there is something you dislike, maybe we can help you tuning it to your tastes.

I definitely will! But one of the things I like in tectonics are inland seas. They give a bit differsity to maps.
Thanks for this huge explanation.

Using the latest version(1.16.1)
Getting empty map without using any mods
Game over screen before first move..
Anyone knows whats going on?

Top Bottom