Community Deity Game #1 - Persia

Spoiler :

I've stayed at war with Egypt since around my t10 worker steal, although I don't have any Logistics ranged units yet. Russia joined in recently and took one of Pharoah's Northern cities and probably killed enough Egyptian units to make my long-awaited push forward much easier. I proposed WF and just won it (with the help of Happy Hour) on the same turn I took my first Egyptian city. I should be able to take out Thebes and its many Wonders in the next 10 turns.

I've agreed to DoW Monte with Cathy in about 8 turns. I don't plan on going after Monte (yet). I just paid a big ransom to Monte to DoW Morocco (I wanted to distract them both from WF) so getting that 9 gpt and iron back will be nice. My DoF with Cathy expires around that time, and I think I'll denounce her and satisfy a CS quest to get a third ally on our mutual borders and then DoW Cathy a few turns after the DoW. Hopefully Cathy will have sent enough units after Monte that I can do some damage.

Pedro is providing a nice buffer from Monte, so I decided against going after my BFF. I could use some more ranged units and am starting to work on my navy after stealing Navigation.

Awhile ago, I had just researched Banking and noticed that Forbidden Palace hadn't been built. I bulbed a GW and opened Patronage so that I could burn my earlier GE on the Wonder and now I've got control of the WC with 3 allies and FP. I was going to embargo Egypt (they'll likely be gone before the vote though) or Cathy (but I don't want to alarm her too soon), but decided to propose Cultural Heritage sites, as I'll have around 10 Wonders after taking Thebes.

I only got 4 Immortals built, so that bonus is out. I haven't built a ranged unit yet, but I'll probably have to lose out on that bonus to get the war effort going. I'm pretty far behind in tech, although I'm about to build PT and a couple of Observatories. I'm already up to 36 turns of Golden Age (Happy Hour), so I should get that bonus. Just winning the game is going to be tough enough, so I have no idea if I can get to 3000 base score. The 15 city raze should be easy. My point total should end up at 8 or 13, depending on if I can avoid building ranged units. Thankfully, Almaty has been ally/friendly forever, so I am getting free units.

Gandhi got early Radio and took Freedom (and built Eiffel already). I'm still 20+ turns from Ideologies so need to get lucky here. I'll end up Order or Autocracy as there is no way I'm going Freedom if I can't get SoL and Gandhi is way too far ahead in tech to think I can get there in time, even with Tradition GE's coming up soon.

My 5 cities are all worshipping Shark Diving and all have their Mosques up and are getting their +1 food from Shrines and Temples. Egypt didn't found, so those cities should convert easily and I may even buy some Mosques in captured cities before they get too expensive.

Prediction: If this Russian invasion gets anywhere, I should be able to roll Eastward as I'll be getting Dynamite soon enough. If Cathy holds the line at all, or gets Flight too soon, I'll probably have change plans. My Immortals should be changing into their winter Musket clothing just in time for the Russian invasion, and they are loaded with promotions. Maybe I'll get lucky and Hiawatha, my new best buddy, will join me going after Cathy.

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 6.31.18 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 6.31.46 AM.jpg

Turn 286ish update

Spoiler :
Started war at Artillery and Cavalry in T190. One hundred turns later our army is tanks bombers and atomic bombs. Definitely on track for BDE. A is already impossible. C is tough I think I have 70 turns and I would need two more great artists to get to 100. Only Hiawatha and Catherine left.

Update: Turn 293
Spoiler :
Tons of nukes and 7 turns later, Hiawatha has lost his capital. Now Catherine, who still has double my army score.

Turn 303 DomV Achievement CD 8 points

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Nuked Cathy after taking Singapore and putting all my nukes and a good number of modern armor there. Then Moscow was toast in 2 turns.
No immortals survived. RIP. No Achievement A. I only had 2 of them anyway.
I didn't want to mess with the huge Cathy army, so I only razed 8 cities of the other guys. No Achievement B.
6 Great Artists, the first one with 12 turns, the other 5 with 16 turns, and one natural golden age = 102 turns. Achievement C complete
Never built a ranged unit. Never needed one considering this was a Modern era war. Achievement D complete.
End score 2827, barely didn't make Achievement E

My first ever Domination Victory on Deity. This wasn't even a particularly good map, the AI is just awful at dealing with mass bombers.

Because it's sometimes a few days between sessions for me, posting here helps me to keep the story straight. Sorry if I'm taking up too much cyberspace.

Spoiler :

Well, the Golden Age warfare went quite well and Thebes fell on t180, on the last turn of Happy Hour. Thebes had just built Louvre (thank you), and already had Parthenon, Globe, and as an added bonus, Great Lighthouse. It also gives me both a 2nd coastal city but also a coastal target so I'm going to have to get my navy, which currently consists of 1 Frigate, up to speed very quickly.

Egypt had enough units around Thebes that I couldn't have held it, so I gave Ramses a very expensive peace (all 301 of his gold, 60 GPT, 5 Oil). He's got 1 big city (Pi-Ramesses) on Thebes' doorstep and a smaller expo way up North left. I'm hoping he'll be irrelevant now, but I'll have to keep an eye on him for awhile.

Egypt just became 2nd to Freedom, so now there's 2 Freedom civs and 1 Order. I'm 4 turns away from Oxfording to Radio, and it looks like I'll be going Autocracy if nobody gets there first. If they do, I'll probably go Order, but I'm kinda curious to see how good my units do with Golden Age plus Clauschwitz Legacy.

In the meantime, Hiawatha and Russia are now at war so now Russia is fighting him and Monte out East. This is a perfect time to launch an attack on Russia's 5-6 recent expos in my face, and I think I can probably raze them all pretty quickly while she's distracted. This should allow all of my siege units to level up and be pretty formidable by the time I get to her real cities right around the time I get to Dynamite (I'll be bulbing all GS from now on). This is going to be a small, but very experienced army. It seems that Hiawatha will pay around 5 GPT if I DoW Cathy, so here goes..........

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 9.51.40 AM.jpg

I'm up to t191 and just discovered rifling. None of my pikemen are being given the option of upgrading to riflemen, so I'm guessing the mods aren't properly turned on. I sort of suspected this earlier when my 1st GP didn't spawn until I had 230 faith.

Note: I'm on a Mac if that matters.

I went into the Mods and all 4 of the mods for this game are there. I clicked on the radial button so all 4 are enabled. Still, when I go back to the game, no option to upgrade to riflemen.

Any suggestions?

Is there a link to good instructions to downloading mods?

I've got a great game going and would hate to have to start over or try to take on Russia with Lancers. My whole plan this game was to rely on the heavily experienced upgraded former Immortals.

I had similar problems but was able to work it through. Look for my posts early in this thread where I documented what I did to fix it.

I had similar problems but was able to work it through. Look for my posts early in this thread where I documented what I did to fix it.

I read through everything and understood most (some) of it.

What I tried just now was to load through the Mod screen. It only showed one of the Mods were applied when I tried to load my t190 save and Pikes still didn't upgrade to Muskets.

Do I need to start over from t0? If so, I think I'll play another game first then come back to this one. I'd be too ticked off if I couldn't repeat my rather lucky start.

If anyone wants to look at my screen shots and tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd be most grateful.

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 6.42.51 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 6.16.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 6.14.30 PM.jpg

I think you gotta load the initial file from the Mods screen. Least that's what I did to make it work. Not like it mattered for me, I didn't get any religion despite DF and I didn't use immortals.

I read through everything and understood most (some) of it.
Are you manually installing the mod? Are you able to unpack/expand the .civ5mod files into a .modinfo file and XML folder?

What I tried just now was to load through the Mod screen.
One thing that tripped me up was the need to load .civ5save game files through the Mod screen.

It only showed one of the Mods were applied when I tried to load my t190 save and Pikes still didn't upgrade to Muskets.
That looks bad. I was showing the Mods applied, but still could not upgrade. That was almost certainly related to my (foolishly) moving files about.

Do I need to start over from t0?
I think so, but no harm going back to when you unlocked gunpowder and checking to see if your Pikes will upgrade.

Also, see post #83 where Sclb describes a tweak to the .modinfo file which might make a difference for you.

Thanks for the help. I started over and mods appear to be working. Gunpowder coming soon for confirmation.

Spoiler :

Very different game. I helped Russia kill Monte and let them take the capital. Then bribed Cathy to go after Wonder-monger Egypt. I'm about to finish off Brazil, then I'll join the whole world in DoW on Cathy during WF and I'll probably sneak attack Pharaoh during this skirmish.

I've got Petra and Zeuss, a pretty experienced and balanced army (5 upgraded immortals) and haven't built any ranged units. Gold is a bit of a problem right now, but I just researched banking so that should help.

5-city Tradition-Honor start. 4th religion w/ Pagodas but I haven't spread at all.

T182 Update

Spoiler :

Most of the world, including me, DoW'd Russia. I got to denounce Cathy to earn an alliance with Ife, which gave me wine-inspired WLTK drunkenness in 3 cities during WF. Even though Egypt got peace from Cathy, the whole world was violent enough that I was able to win a much needed closely contested WF.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 12.41.48 PM.jpg

I took Rio de Janeiro with 1 Gat and a few Trebuchets and Pikes. I gave Pedro and his one lonely city an expensive peace and I don't expect to hear too much from him the rest of the game. Nobody besides Cathy is too upset about my warmongering (yet), so it's decision time: Do I move East and take Monte's capital and try to invade Russia or do I turn NW and liberate all of Pharoah's Wonders?

Cathy has Great Wall, so I think I'll be better off waiting for Arties before going after her. There's enough hatred for her spread around to keep her from running away any further and King Tut has had way too much peace in his little corner of the world. I'm going to have to get a bit of a navy going, but experienced Cannons and soon-to-be upgraded former-Immortal Riflemen and Logistically inclined Gats ought to do the trick.

Ramses did beat me by a few turns to 1st Ideology and went Order, so I went Freedom and I'll have my Foreign Legions in just a few turns.....right in time to launch a meat-shield led invasion of Egypt. Morocco followed next turn by going Order, so the Ideological pressure could get pretty serious unless someone else joins me in Freedom. I'm 6th in tech as I've been diverting for units away from science, so I'm not sure I can get SoL if someone goes Freedom soon. My previous play through saw India and Brazil go Freedom before I even got an Ideology, so I'm hoping their penchant will continue.

Biggest decision now is whether to beeline Artillery or go down the SoL/Flight path. I've got a few RA's coming soon and should have plenty of GS to bulb, although I didn't even sniff PT.

I built no ranged units (thanks Almaty), but only have 5 upgraded Immortals. I've had 27 turns of Golden Age so far, and have one GA banked. Gandhi built Chichen Itza, so I don't think I'll be capturing that until near the end of the game due to his geographical location.

Well, I got to Rifling and the darn Mods didn't work. I can only upgrade to Lancers.

The religious Mod is still working, but no sign of the upgrade mods. I loaded everything through the Mod screen. I'll post the screenshots.

PS. I'm still going to finish the game with Lancers since I'll have free Foreign Legions. I've got a pretty good game going, so my bad-a$$ lancers shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 6.33.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 6.32.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 6.33.22 PM.jpg

Edit: I went backed and looked at some of my saves. t140 save still showed all 3 mods working. t166 save only showed the religious mod. My guess is that I accidentally loaded the game through the normal screen instead of the mod screen and something caused those 2 mods to disappear. Does this make sense?

Whenever you load a save game, even if you saved it yourself, you need to manually select the mods and load.

Pikes upgrade at gun power to muskets. Not like Impi.

Well dang. That would have saved me a lot of turns. It was a bit difficult taking out Pedro with Pikes and I had Gun Powder by then.

t225 Update
Spoiler :

This game is in the bag. I've got Thebes and Rio, and can grab Aztec capital now or pick it up at the end. The whole world is at war with runaway Cathy and I've got Arties and planes in the air and am marching on Moscow. The last 3 capitals are going to go fast as I've got about 4000 faith and will start bulbing GS soon (Rationalism finisher).

Should I get bonus points for overcoming my Mods handicap?

DomVC T190, 5 points

A: Just had time to build 10 before Civil Service, but they died sadly. They tricked me by claiming they were Immortal. 0p
B: Forgot about this during the game, counted 13 afterwards :mad:. 0p
C: 76 turns (Representation, 1 natural (due to WF), 2GA w/ Chichen for the 3 latter). 0p
D: Only cat/treb/cannon/art. 5p
E: 2165. 0p

4 city Liberty/Commerce with Pike/cat/treb, Musket/Cannon and Rifle/Cavalry/Art attacks. Siege units are quite a bit better with +1 movement. At the end I didn't bother to wait for C & E before capturing last cap.

Really good flowing game, mostly due to all the randomness was in my favour. Like first target building CI, beat neighbour to planned expansion with 1 turn, no one went Liberty so I got Pyramids, easy to bribe others to war, friends with furthest AI until the end, furthest AI´s went for archeology/sci theory before units etc.

Spoiler :
Settled where the Warrior spawned.
Built Scout-Monument-2xScout-Granary-2xImmortal-2xSettler-Pyramids (t62)-Library-NC (t89 hard built).
Settled 1 expansion towards Pedro (gems) and 2 towards Egypt (Dyes and Spice/Cotton). Expansions built Monument-Gran/Lib-Lib/Gran-Units. Really strong start: plenty of production and luxes and weak,wonder spamming neighbour.
Spoiler :
4settledcity.jpg

teched Pottery-Mining-AH-Archery-BW-Masonry->Philosophy->Civil Service->Physics->Education->Chemistry->Dynamite (t159 w/ Oxford + GS bulb fertiliser).

Stole 3 workers from Egypt and 3 from Ur. Got desert folklore and founded last religion, but Egypt religion had Jesuit Education so I wanted that instead

Finished liberty t93 for first GA. Had 10 Pikes and 2-3 Catapult, and decided to exploit the GA. Thebes fell on t106, had to keep Memphis since stupid Ramesses built Chichen there. Egypt had 9(!) wonders and 2 universities though, so can't complain.
Spoiler :
Egyptfalls.jpg

Got Physics at t112, upgraded and headed for Moscow on pre-built road. Moscow fell t125 with Pikes/Trebs, really latest possible timing for these units, she had muskets and longswords. Russian army was busy fighting a staged conflict with the Iroquois. Made peace shortly after, trekking my army back towards Brazilian lands. Luckily, she was too engaged in conflict with Aztec/Morocco/Iroquis rest of game so she never tried to recapture her cap.
Spoiler :
Moscowdown.jpg

Pedro next target, rio fell on t145 (w/ Great Artist GA) w/ Muskets/trebs. Also put 350 in World Fair ca here, so had GA from t139 till end with only 1turn pause. Aztec fell t160 mostly with Cannons. Got artillery t159, which was my end point of the tech tree.
Spoiler :
Riodown.jpgAztecdown.jpg

Then I split and went for Iroquois and India simultaneously. India had crossbows and swordsmen so no match. Both caps fell quickly and had to mow through some remaining cities to get to Morocco, which fell on t190. Would have concentrated a bit more had I checked that t188 is fastest so far:mad: And that razing 2 more cities would have given me extra points:mad::mad: Just played the Denmark game so had some recent siege unit practice, which helped a lot.
Spoiler :
VictoryPersia.jpgScorePersia.jpg

Top Bottom