[BNW] Community Deity Game 38 - Genghis Khan

Grendeldef

Trancerelic & coffeeholic
CDG #38 – Genghis Khan

with the clear target of Total Domination (more about that later) but even lesser genocidal tendencies will work.

Spoiler The Mongols :

Mongol Terror:
  • +30% Combat Strength when fighting City-State units or attacking a City-State itself
  • All mounted units have +1 Movement

Keshik, replaces the Knight. Requires Horses.

Special abilities:
Great Generals I promotion (Combat Likely To Create Great Generals.)
Quick study: Earns experience toward promotions 50% faster.

Khan, Replaces the Great General

Special abilities:
Enhanced Medic (This unit and all others in adjacent tiles Heal 15 Additional HP per turn.)
Extra movement (5 vs 2)

Please see the CDG Series Discussion Thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas. Some maps in this series use mods. This map uses the DLC map packs, so you will need “Explorers Map Pack”, “Scrambled Nations”, and “Scrambled Continents”, as well as the earlier (and more common) DLC such as “Wonders of the Ancient World”.

Please share your experience playing this map, but if you post in the first page of this thread, use the SPOILER tag if you attach a picture, make a comment about your neighbors, nearby natural wonders, locations of ancient ruins, terrain features, luxes, resources, etc.

Before you download and start playing the map, please take a moment to speculate on your initial thoughts and plans for the game. Which version will you be playing? Will you settle in place? Will you try to found a religion? What are your plans for getting the most from the UA, UB, and UU? What Victory Condition will you be aiming for?

After you play the map, please take the time to post a screen shot relevant to your victory and write about your experience with the map. Could you notice the edits to the map? Did you have any difficulty getting resources? Was this map easier or harder than the typical deity game? What VC did you pursue, and what was your path to victory (or defeat)? What World Wonders did you build? What did you do with religion and how many GP did you faith purchase? How many techs did you steal with spies, and how where you using them towards the end of the game?

The ONLY VC for this map is (Total) Domination. Well, everything is enabled but that's The Way to go here ;) so go and kill everyone & everything - the map should be good enough for that.
For those unfamiliar with the TD concept the origin was this

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/total-domination-challenge.460311/#post-11451828

so props to Snarzberry for starting it but bear in mind that it was a different game then.

The Map & settings of all 3 versions.

Spoiler Start :

Map is std 8/16 Pangaea with low sea lvl, Raging Barbs and

- few additional NWs which prolly makes OwN default pantheon. This is partly due to getting a healthy religion to ease the happiness issues with Total Domination
- additional resources & luxes all over the map especially further away from capital spots
- blocking ice has been removed
- coastal areas should be more likely 2 than 1 tile wide
- easier versions have additional ruins

Opponents are hand picked to avoid Shaka, Attila & Alex.
Spoiler The Bunch :
Songhai, Sweden, Siam, The Maya, France, Morocco & Indonesia

Different versions:

Final is normal Deity apart from the map stuff

Lite has starting advantages but AI is intact.

- 2 Scouts Go get those gazillion ruins
- Archer
- Worker
- 100 G
- 8 Faith

Easy has starting advantages but AI is intact.

*** SETTLER *** Make a good use of it
2 Scouts
Archer
Spearman
Worker
200 G
8 Faith

The better than average bonuses are there to encourage peeps to really go for the Total Domination. The map itself is probably too easy to give a serious opposition if the target is just a Dom VC and if nothing else the Easy map really should be winnable by anyone approaching Deity.

Achievements. The total possible score is much higher than usual but since there's no real relation between the points in each game I think it's justified and there's also a chance of getting into negative.

Spoiler Achievements :

1) Domination, max 30 pts

Total Domination as in the end there're only CSs and Mongolian cities.
Trade & DoW is forbidden in 15 turn grace period ie if you trade with AI you may not DoW within 15 turns.

30 pts total domination
4 1 civ left
2 2 civs left
1 3 civs left
-1 4 civs left
-2 5
-5 6 or more

2) Versatile Khan, max 6 pts

Use Khans for various tasks. Khans to be used at least once per Era starting from Medieval ie to score a point you do a on Medieval or a,b & c on Industrial for example but get 3 pts you'll have to do a on Med, b on Ren & c on Indu - being ahead of an Era is allowed and the order of a-f is free.

a) Steal a lux from CS
b) Steal land from a major civ out of war
c) Steal a lux or resource from a major civ during war
d) Plant by the city in a war
e) Connect your lands
f) Connect a lux or a resource

6 pts for 6
4 pts for 5
2 pts for 3
-1 pt for 2
-5 pts for 1 or less

3) Making War, max 6 pts

a) DoW a major AI in Ancient Era
b) DoW a CS in Ancient Era
c) Puppet a CS at last an Era before VC
d) have 3(+) front war ongoing before anyone is industrial, civs killed off

by Genghis do count as one
e) Get in a war with 6 different major AIs before flight
f) sabotage TRs of 5(+) civs before Atomic Era

6 pts for 6
4 pts for 5
2 pts for 3(+)
-1 pt for 2
-5 pts for 1 or less

4) Tough love with the CS, max 6 pts

Allied or puppeted CSs at the time of VC.

10(+) 6 pts
8 4 pts
5 3 pts
3 1 pt
1 -1 pt
0 -5 pts

5) Raze cities off the map, max 6 pts

Cities have to be Mongolian on the last turn of. Capping a burning city does count.

10(+) 6 pts
8 4 pts
6 3 pts
4 1 pt
2 -1 pt
1 or 0 -5 pts

Spoiler for links to previous threads in CDG series :
CDG1: Persia, Oct. 31st, 2015, domination, Pangea, hard, map by Consentient
CDG2: Assyria, Nov. 15th, 2015, science, Pangaea, medium, map by Consentient
CDG3: Ethiopia, Dec. 2nd, 2015, culture, NQ Pangaea, hard, map by Consentient
CDG4: Spain, Dec. 17th, 2015, domination, NQ Pangaea, medium, map by Consentient.
CDG5: Indonesia, Jan. 2nd, 2016, culture, NQ Continents, hard, map by Consentient.
CDG6: Zulus, Jan. 15th, 2016, domination, Oval, easy, map by Consentient.
CDG7: Shoshone, Feb. 2nd, 2016, culture, Oval, very easy, map by Enslingkorp.
CDG8: Austria, Feb. 15th, 2016, science, Pangaea, very easy, map by IronfighterXXX.
CDG9: Brazil, Feb. 28th, 2016, culture, Pangaea, medium, map by Blatc.
CDG10: Denmark, March 14th, 2016, domination, Lakes, hard, map by Beetle.
CDG11: Venice, April 1st, 2016, domination, Archipelago, very easy, map by Wild_Woojsha.
CDG12: Byzantium, April 15th, 2016, domination, Continents, very hard, map by Beetle.
CDG13: Inca, April 30th, 2016, culture, Pangaea, medium, map by Shark Diver.
CDG14: Celts, May 18th, 2015, domination or culture, Oval, hard, map by Consentient.
CDG15: America, May 30th, 2016, diplomacy, Mesopotamia, medium, map by Beetle.
CDG16: Sweden, June 14th, 2016, domination or diplomacy, HB Continents, medium, map by Consentient.
CDG17: Germany, July 2nd, 2016, diplomacy, Pangaea, easy, map by Dan Quayle.
CDG18: France, July 14rd, 2016, diplomacy, HB Continents, hard, map by MaxAttack.
CDG19: Ottomans, Aug. 5th, 2016, domination, Continents, medium, map by Beetle.
CDG20: Portugal, Aug. 20th, 2016, domination, Pangaea, medium, map by Beetle.
CDG21: China, Sept. 9th, 2016, domination, Pangaea, medium, map by @Dan Quayle.
CDG22: Maya, Oct. 2nd, 2016, domination or science, NQ Pangaea, hard, map by @consentient.
CDG23: Iroquois, Oct. 15th, 2016, domination or culture, NQ Oval, very hard, map by @consentient.
CDG24: Babylon, Nov. 11th, 2016, science, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @beetle.
CDG25: Arabia, Jan. 15th, 2018, domination, Pangea Plus, medium, map by @beetle.
CDG26: Polynesia, Jan. 29th, 2018, culture, Small Continents Plus, easy, map by @beetle.
CDG27: Poland, Feb. 18th, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @beetle.
CDG28: Huns, March 4th, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, hard, map by @Grendeldef.
CDG29: Korea, March 24th, 2018, science, Small Continents Plus, easy, map by @beetle.
CDG30: Songhai, April 23rd, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @Grendeldef.
CDG31: Russia, May 10th, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @Grendeldef.
CDG32: England, June 9th, 2018, domination, Continents, medium, map by @raider980.
CDG33: Aztec, June 24th, 2018, domination, Lakes, medium, map by @beetle.
CDG34: Rome, Nov. 29th, 2018, domination, HB Continents, hard, map by @beetle.
CDG35: Greece, Dec. 24th, 2018, domination, HB Pangea, very hard, map by @consentient.
CDG36: Japan, Jan. 12th, 2018, domination, Oceania, medium, map by @beetle.

Attachments

• CDG38 Genghis Final.Civ5Save
    558.8 KB · Views: 179
  • CDG38 Genghis Lite.Civ5Save
    559.4 KB · Views: 168
  • CDG38 Genghis Easy.Civ5Save
    559.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Quick look at the game to see whether it works or not - so far so good.

Spoiler T20 :

Settled a tile North to get a hill start and 3 food from get go. Lovely Rammy offered 2 Workers on T12 and I got an early pantheon of OwN as there're 2 nearby NWs and a 3rd within reasonable distance.
Barbs are even a bit of problem as there's tons of land but it should be seen as free XP but other than it looks like a nice Liberty start and I might even build a Settler before the free one & hammer bonus.

Spoiler T20 pic :

Last edited:
SIP, as I like to farm hills. Try and wreck havoc with Chariot Archers, which usually have a terrible upgrade path, but not with Keshiks!

EDIT: T0 I get a notice about a ruin — but I am not seeing it!

Last edited:
Cool, something different, total domination.

I'm playing easy so I'll see a lot more of that start than is pictured. And an extra settler! Depending on what I see I may just move and settle on that Spice to the SW. Or the hill to the SW, that keeps the Salt in tier one.

EDIT: T0 I get a notice about a ruin — but I am not seeing it!

Hard to say for sure but I think there was one by
Spoiler :
Kilimandjaro
which was revealed after moving the Warrior but as far as I can remember I didn't have any ruins playing hide & seek after the notification.
All possible bug reports are welcome, though.

T95 Chivalry which is decent but only 6 ChA to be upgraded and 4 pre-build to a turn or 2 so breaking havoc will have to wait for few turns. An odd game in the sense that the AI isn't expanding much at all though
Spoiler :
Morocco already lost its capital to Askia.

Eatlu turns were mainly building units & fighting the barbs which truly were numerous and camp clearings game a CS ally & 3 friends. DoF with Pacal which just ran out so I denounced as I'll soon DoW to stop the Missionary spam besides he has T60 Oracle & Machu Picchu amongst the goodies. I'm also trying to follow the proper No Trade & DoW concept with 30 turn grace period.
I've in a war with Rammy since T12 mainly to stop his religion but barely in any combat which will change right away. Sukhotai has Petra but I'd prefer he had at least 4 cities before taking any.

Bad scouting due to barbs lead to meeting the rest a bit late but Askia offered DoF and Nappy is friendly, Ganja Man not so much and Honor Gustavus has been an existential threat since we met - impossible to bribe and not paying full price. That can be dealt with but allying CSs behind me is more worrisome as I lack cash.

2nd & 3rd city ~T40 but I didn't have money right away to buy Uluru but KSM city and ruin faith gave 3rd religion T53 with Tithe & Pagodas. 4th & city to the East as I wanted TR possibilities nor did the land around Kilimandjaro look that tempting after nearby Siamese city. T71 1st Khan, T74 enhanced but Holy Warriors already taken so happiness from Shrines as I assume to run into serious happiness issues at some point.
T80 Liberty GS planted, T82 NC, T85 CS & T95 Chivalry. Not doing too bad but money is an issue with the distance to the next city, cities are are a bit low pop but happiness is ok atm.

Next I'll start killing Mayan Missionaries and perhaps even Pacal before going for Siam while hoping that Askia keeps his warmachine ongoing so I don't have to worry about Morocco apart from some angry official statements.

T115 and took 2 closest capitals but so far the civs are alive and rest of the world is starting to hate me.
Spoiler :

The easiness of taking Sukhotai and Palenque got me thinking that I might've overdone the infra part building guilds and aqueducts etc. It might very well be possible just go for fast Keshiks and build only them without tanking economy. Happiness will surely fluctuate while razing but anything under - 10 is easily manageable.

--------- add.-------

Finally back at home so the pic from T115 is included.

Last edited:
I am not doing well with this at all. I had to give up my Liberty start as the negative gpt tanked my science, then I got a double DOW.

I tried Tradition, that was better, but Chivalry was still way too late. Eventually someone launched on T335, I was hardly started. I might try boring SV, just to see if I can beat this map. It is definitely too large for me to get a Dom VC.

To turn 50:
Spoiler :
SIP, 3 scouts - Monument - Granary - Archer - Settlers with a Chariot somewhere inbetween. I got some really nice ruins - 2x culture, 2x faith, 2x gold, 1 pop, and a scarcher. Couldn't really ask for more. Collective rule ~T32 with a 6 pop capital, T49 religion Tithe/Mosques, as Pagodas were taken. On the other hand I didn't get the fastest worker steals, Rammy just wouldn't send his workers to repair the tile I pillaged for whatever reason. Eventually I did get 3 workers from him and 1 from Pacal.

Pretty slow scouting up north due to barbs quest collecting, but a Kilimanjaro scout should cover it pretty quickly. I'll stop at 6 cities unless the scout uncovers something interesting. Hoping to make something happen with CAs, but I might just farm xp until I get Keshiks.

20190203124509_1.jpg

I have 4/6 in Liberty and I'm considering going Patronage next as there's a ton of CSs nearby and I don't think I'll need the Liberty happiness or finisher any time soon.

Turn 115 update

Spoiler :
2nd time through. 1st time I made some silly mistakes. Thought that Keshiks were so good I could just waltz through territory but underestimated how good those elephants are and Siam put up a much better fight than I thought.

Restarted and went more aggressive than I am used to. Settled in place even though the hill is sooo appealing. Had better luck with ruins this time. 4 cities total, basically a straight line from Killamanjaro through the capital up to Uluru (it is Uluru right, I forgot which faith one it is) to the hill SE of KSM by the crabs, keeping it in the 3rd ring, so I have all 3 wonders. Took OWN as a pantheon of course.

Opened tradition, then full honor. Have 1 commerce policy so far as well. Wanted to get ahead of the elephants so went after Siam with Chariot Archers. Had stolen 1 worker from him, one from a CS and got one from a barb camp as well. 6 CA's, 2 comps and a warrior took the capital. He offered me a city to make peace, which I usually decline, but it was right between his capital and Pacal's, and had Fiji in it's borders, so I accepted.

Hit chivalry around 106 I think, upgraded the CA's and DOW'd Pacal. Took his capital in abut 6 turns. Not sure where his troops were as he threw them at me 1 at a time. He had a stronger fighting force when we started but I never really saw them and I was never threatened. He offered a city to peace out. Again I accepted as it was right in the line of marching towards Sweden.

Happiness is the current issue. At -8 right now. Need to start building coliseums. Have 3 Mosques already, will build more as I can. Lux's are all being traded for money as no one has any extras to trade. Napoleon seems to be the big dog to the east. Expanding alot and already took a capital, I forget which.

I think I need to stay aggressive, but I also think I need to regroup a bit. Not sure how to proceed.

Turn 115 update… Thought that Keshiks were so good I could just waltz through territory but underestimated how good…
I was underwhelmed. XB w/ range are stronger than Keshiks and can also hit cities with impunity. Not really game changing.

T100 Chivalry
Spoiler :
Scout found KSM + 2 unique luxes, so that's an easy 7th city.

I did go Patronage, got Consulates first and now I'm on my way to Scholasticism in 10 turns. Allies with all the city-states nearby except Wittenberg. Happiness is very high as expected, I'm leading food & hammer demos and I even finished the NC on turn 99, so it looks like a turn 108 Education for what it's worth. I'm at war with half the world and everyone hates each other, which is perfect.

I had 1800+ gold on turn 99, but I bought all of Rammy's CSs, so after all that I only had enough money to upgrade 3 CAs.

20190203220902_1.jpg

Hello all, played the first few of these, and now I'm back. :) Couldn't resist playing this one. Just finished T100.

Spoiler :

T1: Moved warrior, found Kilimanjaro. Moved Settler to get it in range.

Ahmad somehow managed to forward-settle Rabat right next to Karakorum... as if I needed any more reason to built Chariot Archers early. Settled my second city next to Uluru, third city next to KSM. I'm a bit rusty, so my cities aren't quite as developed as I'd like, and Ahmad decided to DOW me from Rabat with CBs and Pikes (!) on T64, so that did slow my development a bit with him pillaging all my luxuries, but at least I got my 4th city and a bunch of gold out of him after it was done. Paid Askia to join in the fun and keep

T100: Sukhothai falls. It required a bit of patience to get through the Swordsmen, but taking the city was very easy once they were put down. Currently have 9 CAs, 3 Pikes, and 2 Khans. Chivalry in about 9 turns, so I'm thinking of giving them all Altitude Training before upgrading to Keshiks and going after Pacal. After that, probably Stockholm.

Last edited:
T135, three players have quit the game
Spoiler :
Siam, Maya and Morocco are out. Songhai and Indonesia seem irrelevant (around T120 Askia was attacking Ahmad with archers.) Sweden and France are strong but not for long... only problem is I've been building too much infrastructure while I should've just been spamming Keshiks. Regardless, total domination is just a matter of time now. The Seven Keshik Army should be able to grind through Swedish cities, everything else is going East.

20190204004233_1.jpg

T182 DomV
Well, that was a fun game, only my second game of Civ 5 in a year.

Spoiler :

Wasn't really feeling total Dom, so I left most of my victims with one city if it required even a short detour. Got Chivalry on T108, and didn't really bother with science or city management after that because who needs science with Keshiks... One of my Keshiks got a ruin upgrade to Cavalry at ~T120, which was very nice. Cavalry at T120 might as well be a Landship.

The close neighbors went down very easily. Terrain was about as easy as you could ask for. By the time I turned around to the other side of the continent and took down Marrakech, Indonesia was pretty much dead, so I decided to go for Askia first, because Gao was easier to reach than Paris, and Askia was the tech leader. After Gao, on the way to Paris, fighting through the Jungle against Musketeers with Drill and Cover promotions was rather unpleasant (especially with the vast majority of my Keshiks with Accuracy instead of Barrage promotions), but nothing can stop Keshiks.

Capital Order: Sukhothai (T100) -> Palenque (T117) -> Stockholm (T129) -> Marrakech (T143) -> Gao (T156) -> Jakarta (T168) -> Paris (T182)
Policies: Liberty 6, Commerce 6

Achievements:
Domination: -2 (5 AI civs left)
Khans: -1
War: 2
CS: 3
Razed Cities: 1

Total points: 3

T176 total domination

Spoiler :
After Industrialization I went for Artillery as a safety net and got it on T161 with Pisa and Liberty finisher GSs. Made peace with Sweden at one point because he offered me 2 cities that I didn't even see on the map, so I accepted and it turned out he'd settled GBR and some other garbage island city.

Didn't have any happiness problems this game apart from an occasional -9 while razing cities. I built Notre Dame, Forbidden Palace and LToP. Policies were full Liberty, full Patronage and 2 in Order for +happy monuments and Skyscrapers. Religion was +happy shrines and Mosques. Wish I had something to spend all this faith on, perhaps I could've gone for religious domination as well.

Made lots of sub-optimal decisions here. A less sloppy gameplan would've been to either get Artillery faster or just go all in with Keshiks, but this sort of middle way worked fine anyway. No achievement points for me (or negative points I suppose) as I did trade and DoW.

20190204174927_1.jpg

Spoiler The game so far - T107 :
I'm playing the easy version. I settled on the hill to the SW. Sent the 2nd settler to Kilimanjaro and settled one tile west of it. Luckily my scout saw the Incense to the west so I settled where I could get both it and the Elephant to the east. The starting scouts allowed me to get a gazillion ruins.

Opened Tradition and then went full Liberty. Planted the scientist for an academy with the liberty finisher. Next opened Commerce because I figured I’d need the discounted roads but then went and opened Patronage so I could keep my allied CS because I didn’t really need the money at the time.

Third city was next to Uluru and was going to build a 4th next to KSM. But then…

Spoiler Really Pacal? :
seriously Pacal? You come to the other side of the continent and settle a city next to my natural wonder; and a bad city too. Well, I’m going to have to kill you next; after Ram.
Mongol TD T57 really Pacal.jpg

I decided to DoW Ram earlier than I wanted because I spotted a settler heading toward Karakorum. So I took his settler and started building CA. (CA don't seem to get the bonus from Kilimanjaro, the icon shows up but doesn't seem to actually work. Is it supposed to be that way?) Ram had quite a lot of units but once I dealt with them, his cities fell rather easily. I only kept his northernmost city as a stepping stone to The Maya.

I had a DoF with Pacal so I was going to need to wait a long time to attack him. Luckily, when I eliminated Ram, Pacal decided to backstab me. I had Keshiks by this time and went to work on Palenque. He had some Galleass so that made it a little more difficult. But wow, Keshiks are amazing! Move in, fire, move out – even from behind blockers.

T107 and I just took Palenque. Sweden has the Great Wall though. So I’m not sure if I should turn east and take out Morocco first, he’s annoying me with tons of missionary spam. Will Keshiks be able to neuter the Great Wall well enough to try and attack Gustovus?

Spoiler T107 :
Mongol TD T107.jpg

raider980, because of their penalty, entering rough terrain will still consume all movement for Chariot Archers.

@raider980 At T107ish, Great Wall should not be a problem with Keshiks. Worst case scenario, you can citadel bomb. It's not like GGs are in short supply for the Mongols. Imo, it will only get harder/more annoying if you wait to take him out later.

T179 Total Dom.

Not the best of times to do the details as numbers & units are jumping in front of my eyes whether I look at the screen or not - I should've been in bed hours ago but I think fulfilled at least almost all achis as well.
The opposition in the game was just bad without a good reason and I switched plan quite a few times first because thing were going more smoothly than I expected and later because Keshiks were running out of steam. It would've been much faster ignoring sci after Chivalry and skipping guilds and much of infra.
The happiness was fine most of the time and ridiculous at best - capped at +40 before the French front. Gpt is also a weird - it just jumped to 3 digits at some point.

Spoiler :

--------------------

achis: 50

1) 30, TD
2) 4, b-f - didn't bother with a as there were no new luxes later, no shortage of Khans at any point
3) 4, a,b, d-f, no suitable CSs available and for the others TR pillaging was the trickiest
4) 6, 13 allied
5) 6, 12 in total removed from the map (Siam 3, Maya 2, Sweden 1, Morocco 1, Indonesia 1, Songhai 3, France 1)

Last edited:
Top Bottom