Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

How do I associate a splash page with a shortcut in windows?

I have a game that has a significant (well, long enough to be apparent) preliminary load time. So I double click on the shortcut on my desktop and I have enough time to wonder if I somehow 'missed', or maybe didn't quite double the click, or what, before it kicks to an intro screen (which still has a loading bar, grrrr). I would like for the shortcut to kick up a splash screen just so I know it worked, and I'm sure someone can tell me how to do that so I can be lazy and not seek the answer for myself.

As a workaround until someone gives you better a advice, just right-click and select open. I have a couple of apps that behave that way and that's what I do so I know darned good and well it's opening.

As a workaround until someone gives you better a advice, just right-click and select open. I have a couple of apps that behave that way and that's what I do so I know darned good and well it's opening.

Ah. Good thinking. Unfortunately this will no doubt occur to me after I double click and while I am waiting to see if anything happens.

Eh, it seems to me like actual problem is that sometimes you're missing doubleclicks. You should fix that, so that you'll have absolute confidence in your double-clicking ability.

I actually can't recall the last time I tried to double click something and didn't get it. It's just while waiting for something to happen the strange thoughts do come along.

Man, I have that same problem opening chrome first thing in the morning! I have no visual cue that the computer registered the clicks.

How do I associate a splash page with a shortcut in windows?

I have a game that has a significant (well, long enough to be apparent) preliminary load time. So I double click on the shortcut on my desktop and I have enough time to wonder if I somehow 'missed', or maybe didn't quite double the click, or what, before it kicks to an intro screen (which still has a loading bar, grrrr). I would like for the shortcut to kick up a splash screen just so I know it worked, and I'm sure someone can tell me how to do that so I can be lazy and not seek the answer for myself.

So I got unlazy enough to seek an answer and found this. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet though. It does have the drawback that it makes the already noticeable load time a bit longer, in return for providing the visual cue that it is indeed going on.

Why would you have an app that you hardly use?

Why would you keep an app running all the time if you're not using it? There is no point in doing so.

The point in leaving it open is that then I don't have to wait for it to open next time, which is exactly the problem we're discussing.

Any modern OS fills up your memory with stuff, but you can guarantee it will be something useful in memory if you leave open a program that you'll be using again.

Current memory status on my laptop with 16GB:
In use: 6604 MB
Modified: 83 MB
Cached: 9614 MB
Free: 83 MB

What's the point of removing Chrome from the "In use" pool of memory and letting the OS replace it with something else in the "cached" pool? (Or very possibly it will just keep Chrome in the cached pool.)

My desktop RAM is a bit low so when I crank up a big game I tend to close browser windows. Otherwise Chrome and Firefox are always open for me.

Ok, I'm running my games on my new Windows 7 laptop, but my games keep minimizing themselves to desktop randomly. And just now while looking it up, it did it again with Firefox, but FF stayed up and was simply self-deselected. What I found online indicated it was background tasks acting douchey. How do I figure out which BG tasks are the culprit, so I can minimize (no pun) or eliminate the program self-deselects?

Check your notification tray (bottom right) for anything unusual.

Disable all non-essential tasks by stopping them in Task Manager tab #3, Services. There are multiple third-party programs that will do this for you automatically; I can't remember which one I used. It was either CCleaner or some 'game booster' app (supposed to free up resources for gaming).

Also, if anything screwy happens/is happening, take a look for any taskhost.exe processes and shut them down.

edit: I can't guarantee this will work, of course, but it's what I do and this doesn't happen to me.

apple software updater will do it, but you'll know if that's it because it pops up a window with the apps it wants to update.

At work, I close programs once I have enough running that I get arrows on the taskbar because it can't display them all. In the past, also due to having insufficient memory - have a couple programs open that actively use 2 GB apiece, plus other programs you're actively using, and all of a sudden that 500 MB a web browser is using is a mighty tempting target.

I also recently had a case where I was specifically closing Chrome itself while debugging that a function dealing with time worked correctly across all time. It turns out that Chrome initializes the date when it starts, and that refreshing a tab will not reset the JavaScript default date after changing your system date. Closing and re-opening the browser will, so I did that to be sure I was getting accurate results. Of course, that's a very niche case, as most people aren't testing to make sure that February 29th, 2100 AD is handled correctly, but it was a case where closing the browser was important.

And while it may be unlikely that that code will still be in use in 85+ years, back in the '60s and '70s people thought the chance that their code would still be running in 2000 would be minuscule, so I may have saved someone living in 2100 AD a support call.

Check your notification tray (bottom right) for anything unusual.

Disable all non-essential tasks by stopping them in Task Manager tab #3, Services. There are multiple third-party programs that will do this for you automatically; I can't remember which one I used. It was either CCleaner or some 'game booster' app (supposed to free up resources for gaming).

Also, if anything screwy happens/is happening, take a look for any taskhost.exe processes and shut them down.

edit: I can't guarantee this will work, of course, but it's what I do and this doesn't happen to me.
My new laptop came with McAffee, Is that one of the biggest culprits?

I know that windows 8.1 has an option that when copying multiple file, for it to ignore files of the same date and size. Does windows 7 have a similar feature, or do I need a third party utility, since I can't find such an option on my new windows 7 machine?

Top Bottom