Continent of remaining Civ?

What continent should the remaining Civ be from?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally believe that Australia should get some representation in GaK. Sure australia may not have come into exsistance until reccentley but should that really define weather they are worthy of a position compared to everyone's favourites, the Zulu, Brazil, Sweeden etc?

It would be a challange to fit them into a game that begins in 4000BC but I'm sure they could figure out a way to include them (if they can incorporate the Huns into a game about colonizing they can fit any one) :)

Anyway enough of my rambling I just felt like sharing my opinion and hopefully it will not start a huge debate like another post a couple of pages ago!

They do have "some" representation - the City-State of Sydney.

That's what I like about city-states, the "minor" civilizations can still be represented in the game. Its better than making them barbarian cities like in Civ 4

Also Hungary was really just a part of austro-hungry.

Lol. No, not by far
You should check your history again :p
Hungary was way more important than Austria until the Ottomans riped the country into half
It was one of the most important medieval european powers from 900 to 1500

Also, Hungary was one of the most stable countries during the Middle Ages, especially under King Louis I; so it could handle itself in a war. Not to mention that it was highly valued by the Pope - the Apostolic Monarchs, after all.

Also, Hungary was one of the most stable countries during the Middle Ages, especially under King Louis I; so it could handle itself in a war. Not to mention that it was highly valued by the Pope - the Apostolic Monarchs, after all.

Yeah, when I first heard about the religious aspect of GK and the very imporant medieval scenario, I was absolutely sure Hungary will be one of the 9 civs.
Popes, Crusades, Mongol and Ottoman invasions - Hungary seemed way too fitting to be left out. I still hardly beleive it didn't make it :(
I was sure but unfortunately this isn't the case, but I still hope Firaxis will decide to release Hungary eventually - as a DLC or in a possible second expansion

Yeah, when I first heard about the religious aspect of GK and the very imporant medieval scenario, I was absolutely sure Hungary will be one of the 9 civs.
Popes, Crusades, Mongol and Ottoman invasions - Hungary seemed way too fitting to be left out. I still hardly beleive it didn't make it :(
I was sure but unfortunately this isn't the case, but I still hope Firaxis will decide to release Hungary eventually - as a DLC or in a possible second expansion

I agree with you there. Hungary would have made perfect sense to have in the expansion. I love that Hungary is one of the few European countries to retain their crown jewels, and the story of the Holy Crown; still searching for a King. I would like to see Hungary in the game, but I'm not sure it's too likely.

This is some ridiculously flawed logic. The U.S. and Brazil became nations roughly around the same time, but the comparisons between their validity of being in the game end there. The U.S.'s government was a revolutionary government for the time and ended up becoming extremely influential in subsequent governments and revolutions (including in Brazil), and the U.S.'s government has lasted over two centuries, which is extremely impressive. Brazil, on the other hand, has gone through several revolutions and has not had a consistent form of government since its independence. In addition, the U.S. is already a super power, has been since World War II, and was the most powerful nation of the 20th century. There is no question that the U.S. belongs in the game based on its militaristic and technological achievements. So Brazil has a "good likelihood of becoming a super power," but it is not yet a super power, and this is a game based on history and influential civilizations in history. Civilization should not start adding nations that have a good likelihood of becoming super powers in the future because the game is not about predicting the future, but recreating and replaying history.

My post was addressing the "modern" problem people were having, the rest of your argument was unnecessary.

You have to pay attention to the post I was responding to and not just pick points out of context that you want to argue with. I was responding to someone who said that Brazil deserves to be included as much as the U.S. because they are both modern nations and Brazil is expected to eventually become a superpower. I was not discussing non-modern civilizations or empires, which have significantly different criteria than a recently formed country. My point was simply that, in a historically based game, for a modern nation to be included, it must have made a significant impact on world affairs. The U.S. has made a substantially larger impact on world affairs than Brazil over the past 200 years.

Exactly what I as doing, responding to someone who said that you can't include Brazil because they are too "modern". The rest was just thrown in for a bit of persuasion.

And the Sydney Opera House...

And the Great Barrier Reef (though as an Aussie I must make clear the I am all for a Australian civ Firaxis)

My post was addressing the "modern" problem people were having, the rest of your argument was unnecessary.

Oh really?

If they consider Brazil to be too "modern", they should take out the US. Since they both became recognized nations within 50 years of each other. (Brazil: 1825, US:1783) Brazil has just as much right to be a civ as the US, since, as many historians say, there is a good likelihood of Brazil becoming a super power in tho century.

"Brazil has just as much right to be a civ as the US." That was your quote, word for word. Your justification of it was that Brazil might become a super power in the upcoming century. So no, my argument was completely valid since Brazil has no where near as much of a "right" to be in the game as the U.S. since they were no where near as influential as them in world history over the past ~230 years.

Moderator Action: Reminder: This thread is supposed to be about discussing the continent of the remaining civ. Please do not get into vigorous debates concerning or comparing nation's "fitness" to be included. That belongs in the history fora. Dredging up quotes from 10 or more pages ago to press the dispute is treading on thin ice.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

"Brazil has just as much right to be a civ as the US." That was your quote, word for word. Your justification of it was that Brazil might become a super power in the upcoming century. So no, my argument was completely valid since Brazil has no where near as much of a "right" to be in the game as the U.S. since they were no where near as influential as them in world history over the past ~230 years.

Brazil is the Major Power of the Southern Hemisphere for at least 150 years . And their Global Influence is being incresing in the last 10 years . Requiring that Brazil should be a Superpower for being a worthy civilization to add,knowing the fact that the only Civilizations who achieved this title ARE ALREADY in the game is something too unfair,IMO . At least,this waiting for the 9th civ will end in a couple of hours .

Brazil is the Major Power of the Southern Hemisphere for at least 150 years . And their Global Influence is being incresing in the last 10 years . Requiring that Brazil should be a Superpower for being a worthy civilization to add,knowing the fact that the only Civilizations who achieved this title ARE ALREADY in the game is something too unfair,IMO . At least,this waiting for the 9th civ will end in a couple of hours .

I responded to this EXACT same comment you made 10 pages ago, which I would pull up but we've been warned not to. So I won't repeat my comments, but being the most powerful country in the modern continent does not quality it to be a civilization in a historical game.

The only time a modern civ should be included is if it is a super power that has made such an impact on history that it cannot be ignored. Otherwise, I'd much prefer a historical civ, whether that be from Africa, Asia, or South America. I would prefer Africa, but I would not complain about a historical South American civ, even though I know little about any of them, I would be happy to learn.

I am really hoping the remaining civ is the Kongo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom