Continents or pangea?

bradebuque

Chieftain
Hi guys, I am still a green player, and the first sugestion the game makes is to play on continents.

If you guys want to attack a civilization, do you guys cross the ocean? I mean, I just did...but it is a tiresome experience, and is too far away for reinforcement of my troops. Whant kind of preparation should I been having for attacking overseas?

And I see a lot of youtubers playing on pangea... maybe is this better?

Do you guys still play on continents?

Hi,
Well, this is an intresting question. There is no right or wrong, so just go with what you like. However, there are some general features you should keep in mind:
Pangaea is popular for several reasons. It will lead to a game where you meet all opponents early and thus reduce the risk of runaway AIs and broadly speaking the AI seems to do better with less water. The AI is usually terrible at naval warfare.
I play Continents myself, but on higher difficulties, there is a real risk of a runaway and the other continent might be totally settled when you reach it. This means that you have to conquer a coastal city just to get a foothold and thus you have a long reinforcement distance. You can counter this by playing as Polynesia for example, then you can sail out on the ocean at t0 if you want to.
I would also recommend to check out other maps. Fractal is popular and Small Continents Plus or Terra will give you new insight into the game. Some players like the Earth map,but I dislike it myself because you know what to expect.

I think Nizef has covered just about everything, except to say that you get a discount for researching techs that have already been researched by Civs that you have met. So if you are on a continent and have only met half the players, you will tech more slowly than if you are on Pangaea and have met everyone. It can lead to a slow start.

I have no idea of the figures, but the vast majority of games I see reported here seem to be on Pangaea. I get the impression (only a vague impression) that it somehow leads to a more balanced game. It undoubtedly gives you a bit more control at a certain point in the game because you can bribe any of the Civs to attack each other, you have more customers for luxes and strategic resources, and don't forget that you have more City States to deal with, too. They can be a great source of Culture and Happiness. Diplomacy is not something it is wise to ignore, and if you have only met half the players, it lessens your scope. So I think there is a valid argument for learning on Pangaea, and going on to other maps later.

There are all sorts of maps available, not just the ones that come with the game. At a later stage you might want to experiment with those. You can find many of them on these forums. I'm thinking of things like Perfect World, Communitas, Terra Incognita, etc. My present favourite is HellBlazer's map script, but you will need to do a Google search for that. It has more options than the standard maps, so you can limit the amount of Tundra, for example. It is also a bit more generous with ruins.

I try Continents every once in a while, but there is a lot of frustration in finding around T150 that Washington has settled 35 cities and killed all his neighbours. The rest of the game will just be a slog, if you bother to continue. At least on Pangaea you can foment discord and competition that may keep the runaways in check.

Last edited:
As the previous posters said, continents are harder (though the difference is not significant at lower levels). Continents have more risky conditions such as run away AIs which are out of your control until you meet them (can be very scary in deity. AI bosses will have tonnes of units and can tech up very fast.)

For military victory, continents maps are much harder than pangea. Some still play it, mainly people who find pangea too easy. The most important difference is that on pangea people push for quick victory once they researched the key military tech. But for continents map you have to balance building your nation while conquering and get ready to fight through multiple eras.

In summary, for new players, it doesn't matter much. As u progress to higher levels, u willl probably want to play pangea before continents.

Last edited:
As the previous posters said, continents are harder (though the difference is not significant at lower levels). Continents have more risky conditions such as run away AIs which are out of your control until you meet them (can be very scary in deity. AI bosses will have tonnes of units and can tech up very fast.)

For military victory, continents maps are much harder than pangea. Some still play it, mainly people who find pangea too easy. The most important difference is that on pangea people push for quick victory once they researched the key military tech. But for continents map you have to balance building your nation while conquering and get ready to fight through multiple eras.

In summary, for new players, it doesn't matter much. As u progress to higher levels, u willl probably want to play pangea before continents.
truth is u can never really know what will happen.played a pangea recently while boudica runaway and all dow me and i couldnt catch her!while on continents map recently roma was the runaway and we were neighbours so i could take him out.u never really know where the runaway will be

truth is u can never really know what will happen.played a pangea recently while boudica runaway and all dow me and i couldnt catch her!while on continents map recently roma was the runaway and we were neighbours so i could take him out.u never really know where the runaway will be
If the AI is close, that's not going to run away. You can try Game of the month TSG175 (diety) or TSG179 (immortal) if you want to see what a run away is like.

If the AI is close, that's not going to run away. You can try Game of the month TSG175 (diety) or TSG179 (immortal) if you want to see what a run away is like.
of course it can,if u play with my settings.
epic +dynamic eras mode,each era speed is 4.0 which guarantees the best speed imo plus no minus beakers...massive armies..believe me youll see runaway right in front of u that u cannot stop cause 2 more ai gang on u and no one can be bribed to fight the run...it happens

while using infoaddict,i realized that its all about the money.when the ai is in deficit it stops generating science,it drops to zero science for ai when its like -1000 gpt.

I usually play on continents and when it comes to military campaigns, I’ve usually explored the oceans as quickly as I can and am able to gain a foothold on the other continent fairly quickly. Usually am able to start three or four cities, and then I put some hefty military power there.

In my games I put a premium on having the biggest and best trained military in the game. Strangely enough, I can count the number of domination victories I’ve had on one hand. My victories are almost always science. But I make extensive use of my military throughout the game. The first Civ to be wiped out completely in my games is always my closest neighbor. As soon as I get three swordsmen, whoever my closest neighbor is gets wiped out from the game.

Back to your continents stuff... I always have a carrier and strong navy and bombers to project my power overseas.

Top Bottom