Cumulative Ancient World Quiz

Mauryan Emprire -> Seleucid Empire -> Parthians -> Sassanids _> Byzantine Empire -> Ottoman Empire->Russia->France->Mexico->Republic of Texas

There. I know that one works.

Very good. That 9 links; the same as the one that I came up with, which was:

Mauryrans -> Seleucids -> Romans -> Vandals -> Byzantines -> Ottomans -> Russians -> France -> Mexico -> Texas

I'm not sure if it can be done in less than 9, but I'll leave the question open for a few more hours just in case.

That depends on your definition of "France", I suppose. What we recognize as France was certainly never at war with the Roman Empire.

Originally posted by SeleucusNicator
That depends on your definition of "France", I suppose. What we recognize as France was certainly never at war with the Roman Empire.

There are numerous wars between Frankia or later vassals of the French crown and the Byzantine Empire.

That there were, but the Byzantine Empire was never at war with the Seleucids.

To link Seleucia to the Byzantines would require two more links. However, even that puts you at 8, making you the winner so far.

Originally posted by SeleucusNicator
That there were, but the Byzantine Empire was never at war with the Seleucids.

To link Seleucia to the Byzantines would require two more links. However, even that puts you at 8, making you the winner so far.

The Romans were at war with the Seleucids. The Byzantine Empire is the same state as the Roman Empire. Now, while one may argue that the Byzantine Empire differs remarkably from the Roman Republic, no historian would say it was a different state. That makes the answer 6 ;)

If we can say that about France and Rome, then I can do this---Mauryans->Seleucids->Romans->Spain->Mexico->Texas

And tie the 6.

Originally posted by Thuloid
If we can say that about France and Rome, then I can do this---Mauryans->Seleucids->Romans->Spain->Mexico->Texas

And tie the 6.

When was Spain at war with the Romans?

I'm making a (tenuous) connection between the Visigothic kingdom and modern Spain via the kingdom of Asturias (founded by a remnant Visigothic nobility). To me, that's at least as valid as connecting a Frankish kingdom or some vassals of medieval France to the government of Napoleon III.

I'm making a (tenuous) connection between the Visigothic kingdom and modern Spain via the kingdom of Asturias (founded by a remnant Visigothic nobility). To me, that's at least as valid as connecting a Frankish kingdom or some vassals of medieval France to the government of Napoleon III.

Visigothic kingdom of Spain was a completely different kingdom from the late med. kingdom of Spain, which was effectively the Kingdom of Castille, united with Leon and then Aragon. The French kingdom existed in continuity from the 9th century. It is not the same thing.

That depends entirely on what we mean by "completely different" and "continuity". You say that the French kingdom of the 9th century and post-Revolution France are part of the same continuum--I can easily say they're completely different.

That depends entirely on what we mean by "completely different" and "continuity". You say that the French kingdom of the 9th century and post-Revolution France are part of the same continuum--I can easily say they're completely different.

Yes, you can easily say they are different. But you haven't given any arguments in support, and that's the imp[ortant point. ;)

I don't think the Mauryan Empire went to war with the Seleucid Empire either, the Seleucids sold them their Indian possessions for 500 war elephants. Bactria could be put between the two for a link.

Seleucus sold that land because he was defeated in battle and wished to save face. He attacked Chandragupta and had plans to colonize northern India. The conflict lasted about 3 years, iirc, and I think Chandragupta also recieved a wife or two out of the deal.

[edit] Linkage to back that up [/edit]

What was the sacred line around Rome which no troops or general in command of troops supposed to cross called?

Rubicon?

No that was a river (stream is more apt) far north of Rome. I am referring to the actual city of Rome.

Top Bottom