Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

It would be nice though if you say, settle Australia as a Buddhist civ that all your cities there won't abandon their religion and convert to Protestantism when you adopt Secularism.
perhaps if a city is x religion for y turns (and maybe it's ruling civ is that religion too) then it gets added to the religion map for that city. don't know if this is possible in the existing code or if it would be too computationally taxing though.

The issue is that state religion is factored into religion spread - you can induce Buddhism to spread outside its religion map if it is your state religion. The logic does not properly account for Secularism. The best way to handle this is probably for Secularism not to induce any religion spread outside of its religion map but otherwise to act as if the state religion is present for the purposes of religion disappearance.

Note that this does not necessarily prevent Buddhism (in this case) from ever leaving - it can still be replaced by e.g. Protestantism but that would have to be due to genuinely stronger Protestant influence in the city, rather than being favoured by the spread map.

The issue is that state religion is factored into religion spread - you can induce Buddhism to spread outside its religion map if it is your state religion. The logic does not properly account for Secularism. The best way to handle this is probably for Secularism not to induce any religion spread outside of its religion map but otherwise to act as if the state religion is present for the purposes of religion disappearance.

Note that this does not necessarily prevent Buddhism (in this case) from ever leaving - it can still be replaced by e.g. Protestantism but that would have to be due to genuinely stronger Protestant influence in the city, rather than being favoured by the spread map.
what determines the religion of certain civs when they spawn? eg my zoroastrian Rome had zoroastrian France and England spawn but Spain still went Catholic. or America went and stayed Catholic when I kept England Catholic in one game.

You mean England and France spawn with Zoroastrian state religion and missionaries?

Is it normal, what my city lose culture?
1.png2.png

I assume you recently captured this city? When you conquer a city, you convert some of the owner's culture into yours, but that effect gradually wears off over time.

You mean England and France spawn with Zoroastrian state religion and missionaries?
No, they converted to zoroastrian after a turn. But they stayed zoro while Spain converted. Wonder what factors determine that. In my recent Spain game, it was easy to keep everyone Catholic, in my recent China game, it was impossible to keep Southeast Asian civs as Confucian.

I don't think the AI behaviours are fully deterministic. Leaders are set to prefer their historically appropriate religion, so all things being equal (or even slightly unequal) they should prefer that religion and switch to that and stay in it. But the AI still evaluates things like the spread of that religion and diplomatic concerns - so in this case it might be that these civs decided being friends with Rome is worth more than whatever value was associated with Catholicism.

Also, Greece as a horrendously bad habit of converting to Zoroastrianism, which sounds harmless until they pop a great prophet and convert the entire European continent to Zoroastrian.

I assume you recently captured this city? When you conquer a city, you convert some of the owner's culture into yours, but that effect gradually wears off over time.
About 200 years before. Not sure how many turns on marathon. I captured it from Byzantine (and before did it from Phoenica), and then Arabia born - Tyrus didn't flip. just didn't notice it before (a lot of culture disappear this time)

You makes it sounds like it's the bad thing.
You are forced to adopt a state religion or go unstable and lose access to ALL pagan wonders. So yeah, it is bad.

This is why when playing a Persia game if I found Islam I like to think of it as a new sect of Zoroastrianism, so I don't go the whole game wonderless.

I feel little embarrassed to ask: what does +50% corporations commerce means? In addition to the gold and hammers resources are responsible for adding coins?

"Commerce" is what the game calls anything commerce gets converted into. So it is gold, science, culture.

"Commerce" is what the game calls anything commerce gets converted into. So it is gold, science, culture.
Espionage as well? (Or is that not relevant for corporations?) I'm wondering if it'd be easier to understand if it said "+50% corporation yields" or something similar... though that implies production, which is excluded. Huh, this is tough.

Yeah it would affect espionage too - I just didn't mention it because there isn't any corporation that produces espionage right now.

"Yield" is exactly the opposite of "commerce": the yield types in the game are food, production, commerce, and the commerce types are gold, science, culture, espionage. These terms aren't well defined in the game and come directly from the code - still I think it is the best way to describe it.

Top Bottom