Derelict fleets?

Knight-Dragon

Unhidden Dragon
Retired Moderator
Sometimes when I was moving my naval and embarked units around, I have come across whole fleets of parked AI naval units, usually old and obsolete, in some out of the way places (like near the ice cap or off some uninhabited island).

They remained there even if the AI owner was at war, when they could still be useful as damage soakers.

Is this normal behaviour for the AI? Don't they scrap them or something to reduce maintenance cost? Or am I just seeing things?

yeah they just stand there hoping to be tourist attractions but forget that there's no tourism out of it :)

Maybe their mission assignment got all whacked up or something (since they are of far too low combat strength to be of any value coupled with the fact the AI might not want to disband it's derelict fleet if it has no other naval units available).

No, they are right out in open water, some distance from the borders of any civ and nothing blocking them fr returning to their own borders.

No, they are right out in open water, some distance from the borders of any civ and nothing blocking them fr returning to their own borders.

Hey Knight-Dragon:

Could you provide (approximately for numerical figures, to the best of your knowledge):

- Map and World size of map
- The number, and type of units observed
- Were the units moving at all (i.e. fidgeting around from one tile and back, or were they sleeping?)
- Approximate naval technology available to the AI at that point (i.e. Compass, Astronomy, Navigation)
- Total number of cities the AI had; Total number of coastal cities the AI had
- Approximately (if you can remember and/or guesstimate) the "total number of soldiers" (I.e. the number listed in the demographics screen) the AI was around
- Was the AI doing something else (i.e. at war) with another Civ?
- Which AI (note: only if you did not turn "random personality" option on) was it?
- Financial situation of the AI (i.e. if you remember ever opening up the trade menu, how much GPT was the AI sitting on?)

They're pretty much static in the same place. I've observed them in several different games with varying map sizes.

I think after a long enough time they do go away... but unsure why. Looks like disbanding then.

Hey Knight-Dragon:

Could you provide (approximately for numerical figures, to the best of your knowledge):

- Map and World size of map
- The number, and type of units observed
- Were the units moving at all (i.e. fidgeting around from one tile and back, or were they sleeping?)
- Approximate naval technology available to the AI at that point (i.e. Compass, Astronomy, Navigation)
- Total number of cities the AI had; Total number of coastal cities the AI had
- Approximately (if you can remember and/or guesstimate) the "total number of soldiers" (I.e. the number listed in the demographics screen) the AI was around
- Was the AI doing something else (i.e. at war) with another Civ?
- Which AI (note: only if you did not turn "random personality" option on) was it?
- Financial situation of the AI (i.e. if you remember ever opening up the trade menu, how much GPT was the AI sitting on?)
Unfortunately I don't remember in such detail. I only observed them now and then in a few games and wondered why.

Once it was a bunch of English subs just sleeping off my newly conquered coastline (fr another civ). They were in the way; my warships needed to move more to get around them.

Another time it was some American wooden ships parked in the middle of the ocean. They were at war but the ships remained there it seemed.

Then another time it was a bunch of Ottoman ships - wooden plus 2 ICs. Parked off a tiny island which I settled (trying to block access into 'my sea'). I saw them there for a while; the wooden ships were gone soon but the ICs remained for a long time until around the time the Ottomans got nuke subs I think.

I've also seen this! In my game, Netherlands had a bunch of Sea Beggars and frigates at the very bottom of the map at some far off place with nothing around. I think if I remember America then also put units over there. When I first saw it I thought some epic battle was taking place for Antarctica, but they were at peace and nothing was happening. As far as I was aware there were no barbarians around there either.

Definitely weird.

Yeah in one game I had one of those I think it was a pretty old one, sitting on my Fish tile and didn't want to move until OB expired

They can pile up over time for sure. Although I've lost a coastal city on occasion to mothball fleets.

You guys haven't heard the story, then?

A young boy died while playing Civilization 5. The cause of death was never discovered - according to the doctors his heart just stopped beating.

His favourite civilization to play had always beed England on an archipelago map. On that ill-fated evening he was preparing to invade the Ottoman Empire with his fleet. Just as the last couple of ships had finished being built, he proceeded to move his fleet. The Ottomans weren't even that far, not more than 2 screens away. Could have easily DoWed and opened fire on the same turn...

...but his fleet never reached the Ottoman borders. Without anyone to issue further commands the fleet became stuck, anchored in the middle of an ocean, cursed to linger there for all eternity.

If you ever see an old and derelict fleet in your game seemingly drifting without purpose, don't attack it. Just let it be. Instead remember the young boy who had passed away. His name was Joel. He was an Emperor player.

You guys haven't heard the story, then?

A young boy died while playing Civilization 5. The cause of death was never discovered - according to the doctors his heart just stopped beating.

His favourite civilization to play had always beed England on an archipelago map. On that ill-fated evening he was preparing to invade the Ottoman Empire with his fleet. Just as the last couple of ships had finished being built, he proceeded to move his fleet. The Ottomans weren't even that far, not more than 2 screens away. Could have easily DoWed and opened fire on the same turn...

...but his fleet never reached the Ottoman borders. Without anyone to issue further commands the fleet became stuck, anchored in the middle of an ocean, cursed to linger there for all eternity.

If you ever see an old and derelict fleet in your game seemingly drifting without purpose, don't attack it. Just let it be. Instead remember the young boy who had passed away. His name was Joel. He was an Emperor player.

How do you know?

Top Bottom