Deth McBones Industries Graphics Exchange

Deth McBones

The Inconsistent Modder
Welcome to the....
Deth McBones Industries Graphics Exchange
Well, since I was working on my mod and all, I finally decided to see what kind of modelling I could do in some kind of free 3d program, so I picked up Blender. Six million hours (or a week) later, voila! But I digress.

My company now has seven tidy products:

DL # TC-01:
D McB's Science Fiction Tech Icons:

A collection of images found on the Web in four different categories! Now in cyber, interface, infrastructure, and weaponry packs! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-02:
D McB's Omni Techpack:

Enhanced images from the Web in several archaic and progressive categories! For all your technocratic, kamikaze, whaling and unknown missile needs! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-03:
D McB's Omni Techpack 2: Old and New

Enhanced images from the Web in several archaic and progressive categories! For all your agricultural, flamethrowing, television and computer needs! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-04:
D McB's Law and Order Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in military and police themes! Now in civil liberties, mob control, and domestic disturbance packs! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-05:
D McB's Meteorology Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in a Meteorology theme! Now with barometers, radar, and satellites! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-06:
D McB's Crime and Punishment Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in a Criminal and Authorities theme! Now with crimes, accomplices, factions and sentences! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-07:
D McB's Agriculture Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in an Agriculture theme. Order today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-08:
D McB's Ancient Archery Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in an ancient archery theme. Order today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-09:
D McB's Middle Ages Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in a medieval theme. Order today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-10
D McB's 19th Century Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in a 19th century theme. Order today!
Purchase this item

DL # TC-10
D McB's early 20th Century Techpack

Enhanced images from the Web in an early 20th century theme. Order today!
Purchase this item

DL # TO-01
D McB's Original Tech Icons:

The very first tech icons made by Deth McBones Industries, this Space Pack consists of five techs that are ideal for any space mod! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

DL # WO-01
D McB's Colonial Orion Trading Co Splash:

(note, above image of the COTC Splash is larger than the actual product in order to show detail)
One of Deth McBones Industries' finest products, the Colonial Orion Trading Co Splash is perfect for any space mod that needs a good wonder to lower maintenance costs or auto-produce space transports! No pedia icons or bldg icons yet, but should be soon to come! Order yours today!
Purchase this item

Last edited:
It all looks great. Keep up the good work! :)

Wonderful work there.

How difficult is Blender? I've been meaning to try it out myself, but have been bogged down by too many RL concerns. :)

So far with my experiences I would say it would be extremely easy for you guys who actually know what you are doing to learn it. I was able to get this kind of results from about a week's worth of poking around, tutorialing and otherwise experimenting. There is still a heck of a lot I don't know, and it doesn't help that there is very few Civ templates and tutorials here for Blender. NeOmega used it to make Pentagenesis (I think) and he has posted a unit setup, and I think that's about it here at CivFanatics. It is still really easy to make pretty cool stuff, and once I learn how to animate models and use the python scripts, I'll probably be in the unit making business :D.

IMO this some of your best work yet. Glad to see you starting with Blender! :thumbsup:

New techpack posted!

And for all you who need any techs, I'd be happy to make them. I'm starting to really enjoy making them.

The new icons are really good! Esp the cloud questionmark... nice solution! The B/W kamikaze icon is the only one which could be improved a bit, but I guess the source was to low-res

Yeah. The kamikaze ones gave me the most headache. It's awfully hard to find good pictures of attacks, and all that I could find were from a distance, besides the one used in the color tech. That one was actually the best for showing the proximity of the ship to an aircraft. I did have a lot of fun getting the larger plane to fit over the imperial flag I found and set to translucent.

I actually like the kamikaze a lot. Granted I like that aesthetic style anyway. Here's a technique I've used that may help you with the small icon(s):
  1. Start with a millions palette version of the large
  2. Exaggerate things like the contrast, brightness, or saturation
  3. Also try exaggerating the sharpness by doing it both before & after the scaling
  4. Since you're working with varied transparencies I assume you're working with layers. That would mean you can use the techniques just on the plane. For example, if it were lighter & greener relative to the rest of the image before the reduction it will better stand out and actually look more like the large icon in the end.
After some experimentation you will find numbers for all the techniques that generally work for your style. Since it's a matter of style my numbers probably work for you.

Thanks BM, some really good advice there. I hope to continue getting better at this stuff. I'm now working on a martial law tech icon at Omni's request.

I don't like to double post even my own thread, but I just finished 27 new tech icons. Woot.

Awesome, nice work. :thumbsup:

The new icons look nice! Just the camera icon of the law and order pack could have al little more contrast and/or be a little brighter as it is quite dark (I guess the icon is intended to be dark for atmospheric reasons, but I would like to see the large icon as bright as the small one)

New tech icons up. Huzzah for meteorology! Go gets dem cloud patterns!

Top Bottom