DJSHenninger's Converted CIV4 Improvement Graphics

I currently lack the motivation to help other people :cry:

Ah, that's what I thought. Hence why I said I would wait for you to be in the mood ;)

There's nobody forcing you to help, and if you need a break, no matter how long, that's absolutely fair enough. Nobody's forcing you to do this, so do it at your own pace.

Unless someone is forcing you to do this! Should I alert the police?

Ah, that's what I thought. Hence why I said I would wait for you to be in the mood ;)

There's nobody forcing you to help, and if you need a break, no matter how long, that's absolutely fair enough. Nobody's forcing you to do this, so do it at your own pace.

Unless someone is forcing you to do this! Should I alert the police?

Don't alert them! It's a matter of life and death! :p

But don't worry, my urge to help out will come back ;) Also, this entire converting business isn't hard at all, you just need to make sure you can install/use all the necessary software, especially Nexus Buddy. Making the HB/PL versions is just a matter of deleting/moving vertices. Usually. :cool:

Gas Well: DOWNLOAD

Spoiler :

bane_, how's it going with the conversions? Any luck?

I'm not requesting someone do this one... just a few pointers. Keep in mind that I have no experience with 3d graphics.

I have found a sketchup file with a Trelleborg fortress. I have been able to export it to Blender as an improvement, but I the export does not seem to be working all that well and is only partially successful ASFIK.

Q1: Anyone tried to go from Sketchup>Blender>Civ5 model? Any conversion tips?

Assuming the conversion will ultimately fail, I notice a lot of converted models in the downloads section. I am not seeing any direct made-in-blender improvement models. Is there a reason for this? Are they too difficult or the process not known?

Q2: Is it possible for a novice willing to learn Blender to eventually build a model for an improvement and have it work in game? I would willingly put in the time to learn if a dividend will result in the end.

Otherwise, the model will not require animation and I at least have the sketchup model to reference even if it doesn't convert nicely.

Here is how it looks in sketchup:

Trelleborg.jpg

For the model, I would likely only use the central ringfort and disregard the boats on the outside (although they would be a nice touch).

Q3: is there a Blender tutorial on making improvements (not just conversion)? Or what is the next best thing? I see tutorials for unit models, but I not certain with all the scripts, etc. are necessary for an improvement or building model. Any pointers to the best tutorial for what I wish to do would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

You're better off making a new thread for this in the main C&C forums. I don't make 3D improvements nor convert them from other sources.

Assuming the conversion will ultimately fail, I notice a lot of converted models in the downloads section. I am not seeing any direct made-in-blender improvement models. Is there a reason for this? Are they too difficult or the process not known?

Q2: Is it possible for a novice willing to learn Blender to eventually build a model for an improvement and have it work in game? I would willingly put in the time to learn if a dividend will result in the end.

Otherwise, the model will not require animation and I at least have the sketchup model to reference even if it doesn't convert nicely.

Q3: is there a Blender tutorial on making improvements (not just conversion)? Or what is the next best thing? I see tutorials for unit models, but I not certain with all the scripts, etc. are necessary for an improvement or building model. Any pointers to the best tutorial for what I wish to do would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

In terms of making an improvement from scratch, it's certainly possible -- I know Typhlomence made a improvement for his (as-yet unreleased) Rosalina civ directly in Blender.

Improvements are fairly straightforwards, as they don't require animations or anything. All you really need is one or more meshes and textures for them. I think the main handicap is that Blender is not particularly intuitive to learn, and there's no "this is how to use Blender" tutorial in the forums -- most people are usually directed to the many existing Blender tutorials elsewhere, but so far I've found them rather piecemeal and thus a bit difficult to learn from. (I've only just recently started learning how to unwrap meshes so I can assign textures to them... or something like that.)

If you can figure out how to make the meshes you want in Blender, however, you can then use either danrell or Ekmek's tutorials to try and get it into the game.

It's probably best to start your own thread, though, as it would hopefully get some assistance from some other modders that are more proficient with Blender than I am. :p

Modelling an improvement would be very easy if you had the skill. the main issue is modelling as a skill is rare in modding, because if you have that level of skill you probably aren't going to waste it by giving it away for free.
It's just not convenient for modellers to use their spare time on free work.

I know this is old, but somebody still have te village 3d model? Thank you

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT, In case some body is looking for it is inside the austrian mod

Last edited:
Top Bottom