DNC elects Howard Dean as its' Chairman

Capulet

RESTART
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6958538/

Howard Dean elected to lead Democrats
Former presidential hopeful promises to rebuild party
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:14 p.m. ET Feb. 12, 2005WASHINGTON - Democrats elected Howard Dean chairman of their national party on Saturday, casting their lot with a skilled fund-raiser and organizer whose sometimes caustic, blunt comments can lead to controversy.

advertisement

The 447-member Democratic National Committee chose Dean on a voice vote to replace outgoing party chief Terry McAuliffe. The former Vermont governor and presidential candidate had promised to rebuild the state parties, take the offensive against Republicans, and better explain party positions on issues.

Democrats are eager to renew their campaign to regain political power, though some admit to a bit of anxiety. President Bush just won his second term. Republicans are firmly in control of the House and the Senate. And the GOP is gaining strength in conservative states in the South and West.

"We only have one way to go, and that's up," Georgia delegate Lonnie Platt said.

For Joyce Cusack, a Florida delegate, it's time for Democrats to embrace their party's values.

"We are trying so hard to be like Republicans and we're not. I think Howard Dean says clearly that we are different," Cusack said. "We are the party of ordinary citizens and not the elite, we are everyday working folk."

'Force of personality'
Democratic leaders, who were initially wary of a Dean chairmanship, started embracing his leadership after it became apparent he was strong enough to claim the job. Several high-profile Democrats considering a bid for chairman backed out of the race.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, not always a Dean supporter, said Friday, "He has used the power of technology, the force of his personality and the depth of his ideals to bring new people into the party."

Dean told Democratic committee members Friday that it's important to learn to be more comfortable discussing the party's core values.

"The way I hope to deal with that problem, is not to abandon our core principles, but talk about them in a different way," he said.

Democrats are not pro-abortion, but "we are the party in favor of allowing women to make up their own minds about their health care," Dean, a physician, said.

Democrats are not for gay marriage, but "we are the party that has always believed in equal rights under the law for all people," he said.

"We are the party of moral values," Dean said. "There is nothing moral about cutting 300 million dollars that is used to feed starving children."

I think this is awesome. The Republicans are going to be in a for a big surprise in 2006 and 2008.

So Vermont liberals have no morals?

What kind of hogwash is that?

:rolleyes:

Capulet said:
What kind of hogwash is that?

Not really sure what that means, but essentially, a farm boy from Missouri isn't voting for the party of that man. Remember last year in the primaries when you were all "Yay! We love you, Dean!"? Then shortly before the primary you realized "Wait, wtf?!", we like him but he'd get killted in an election for president. I mean, aside from the crazyness. Your party has really drifted away from traditional American values over the past 40 years, whether you realize it or not.

Morality comes with a Republican stamp. Only Republicans have moral values, while Democrats apparently live to appease the French and the gay agenda.

I dont see why morality must be definded only with gays and abortion. As dean said, there is nothing moral about taking away 300 million bucks that was used to feed kids to give a tax cut or something. Watch for the democrats to try and redifine moral values to encompas other issues

As for Dean, im cautiously opptimisitc. The man has vision, is a great salesman and a great fundraiser. He might give the party the kick in the pants it needs

Taliesin said:
Morality comes with a Republican stamp. Only Republicans have moral values, while Democrats apparently live to appease the French and the gay agenda.

Yes, it does. And until you realize that and start trying to mimic it, that's how it's going to be.

MattBrown said:
I dont see why morality must be definded only with gays and abortion. As dean said, there is nothing moral about taking away 300 million bucks that was used to feed kids to give a tax cut or something. Watch for the democrats to try and redifine moral values to encompas other issues

I agree with you a lot, but unfortunately rural middle America doesn't. Like I said before, your party has done some pretty extensive drifting in the last 40 years. While you may be for some good cause that I think Repulicans should be for, you also come off like the party of Whore Houses a lot as well.

MattBrown said:
As for Dean, im cautiously opptimisitc. The man has vision, is a great salesman and a great fundraiser. He might give the party the kick in the pants it needs

Kick in the pants? I agree. But my version probably has more bleeding.

Personally I think the Dems are on a downhill slide that may well end with their demise. This looks to be a continuation of the trend.

The last thing the Democratic party needs right now is more business as usual. It obviously hasnt been working, its time for a new approach. Looks like with the selection of Dean, the democrats are going to abandon the 'Republican Lite' strategy, thank god, and start appealing to their base. The last two elections have been close. If they go back to their roots and get more Democratic voters out voting in 2008, they might actually win.

Bozo Erectus said:
The last thing the Democratic party needs right now is more business as usual. It obviously hasnt been working, its time for a new approach. Looks like with the selection of Dean, the democrats are going to abandon the 'Republican Lite' strategy, thank god, and start appealing to their base. The last two elections have been close. If they go back to their roots and get more Democratic voters out voting in 2008, they might actually win.

I think you guys are utterly lost on this concept....if you try to appeal more to your base, you lose whats left of your traditional Middle America support. But if you try to appeal to them, you lose your base. With someone like Dean, I don't really see how you can have both.

Howard Dean.... Well, atleast it assures another Republican Victory next year. Better choice than Hilary Clinton though.

elfangor801 said:
I think you guys are utterly lost on this concept....if you try to appeal more to your base, you lose whats left of your traditional Middle America support. But if you try to appeal to them, you lose your base. With someone like Dean, I don't really see how you can have both.
Democrats can count on their base much more than they can on 'Middle America'.

Let's hope Dean doesn't get too excited and do his famous victory celebration again :lol:

I don't like Democrats or Republicans that much. I don't like politicians that much.

I'm still cursing South Dakota for voting out Tom Daschle, that's one of the few politcians that kept it real. He would actually just pack up and go on trips around South Dakota (by himself) to see how his people were doing. How many bigwigs in Congress even know how the people live?

blackheart said:
I'm still cursing South Dakota for voting out Tom Daschle, that's one of the few politcians that kept it real. He would actually just pack up and go on trips around South Dakota (by himself) to see how his people were doing. How many bigwigs in Congress even know how the people live?

.....the reason Daschle lost is because his voters thought he was to out of touch. Good job, Mr. Thune.

Bozo Erectus said:
Democrats can count on their base much more than they can on 'Middle America'.

Yes, but Middle America is more important. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Republicans are going to win Oregon or Illinois any time soon, but there's much more of a chance that you can win Missouri or Florida. If you want to become the party of the left (More so at least), you can kiss any plausible large victory good bye for a long, long time. And by the way, it's really, really funny seeing all the liberals turn on America ;).

elfangor801 said:
Yes, but Middle America is more important. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Republicans are going to win Oregon or Illinois any time soon, but there's much more of a chance that you can win Missouri or Florida. If you want to become the party of the left (More so at least), you can kiss any plausible large victory good bye for a long, long time. And by the way, it's really, really funny seeing all the liberals turn on America ;).

More like a lot of the liberals don't vote. If you got minorities and immigrants to vote, the democrats would definitely win.

elfangor801 said:
And who's fault is that? Another thing that's sad is how you guys have them vote for you by making them feel bad....

Are you talking to me? I'm not democrat...

It's politics, its what politicians do. Propeganda.

Well, it is obvious that the dems are the federalists of the 21st century, abandoning there ideals and running RUNNING towards the left(of course, we all know that the federalist died because they didn't support the war of 1812 and when they said it was a disaster, the Battle of New Orleans occured destroying the party, they also weren't supporters of federalism anymore, they flip flooped that position with the dem-rep, who became the dominant party). The dem party will die a slow death until a conserative party without the name "Republican" comes around and courts the south, many southerners are dems simply because the republicans are the party of lincoln, however they vote republican because they are closer to there beliefs, who knows

Top Bottom