Does the settler start at the best position ? +position question

Don't forget about Sugar. Plopping a city on that makes it a 3-food square, because the Marsh magically converts to Grassland, even without the knowledge of Masonry.

Sugar only gives gold, so still 2 food.
The only 3 food city tiles are cows on grassland, and wheat on floodplains.

It is worth missing a turn or two to settle on a 3-food square, especially if that square gives you access to hills. Luxury resources in your capital's radius aren't that important, except for Gold, Silver, and Gems, which add quite a bit of cash to a tile you would be working otherwise. Walking away from Calendar resources is no big deal at all, since Plantations are the worst tile improvements in the game.

This is good advice. Settling on cows or another 3 food tile is a good choice if it's only a turn to delay settling. Moving away from Calendar luxuries is of no consequence, because your second city (placed near luxuries) won't plunge you into unhappiness anyway, and there's no chance of getting them online in the time it takes to settle a new city.

How are city tiles worth 3 food? Just settling on the resource improves it? Why is a floodplains wheat worth 3 food to a city, but grassland wheat is not?

How are city tiles worth 3 food? Just settling on the resource improves it? Why is a floodplains wheat worth 3 food to a city, but grassland wheat is not?

It isn't? Did you accidently settle on a plains wheat?

I haven't settled on a resource other than Iron or Horses ever. I was under the impression that it gave you the resource but not the improvement. Earlier in the thread I thought someone mentioned flood plains wheat, so I assumed that was the only wheat tile worth 3 food.

They give you no improvements, but if the base yield in any direction exceeds a standard city tile you get that value for the city tile.

Well, because there is no grassland wheat...

Grassland and floodplains both have a base of 2 food.
Cows and wheat both add +1 food to the base.
This means these 2 tiles are 3 food tiles, thus giving your city 3 food.

Settling on cows can be an easy decision, but wheat-floodplains are not.
With a farm and Civil Service this tile provides 5 food and can therefore fuel a new city, or grow an old one to big size.

I haven't settled on a resource other than Iron or Horses ever. I was under the impression that it gave you the resource but not the improvement. Earlier in the thread I thought someone mentioned flood plains wheat, so I assumed that was the only wheat tile worth 3 food.

That was me, just 4 posts up :p

When setting on a strategic or luxury resource, you get the immediate benefits of them (granted you have the required tech for hat), but you cannot improve the tile, so that extra benefit is lost.
As russia, it can be strong too settle on a hill with iron, this gives you a 4 production city tile (2 hill, 1 iron, 1 UA).

Generally when I settle on grassland Iron, its so that I don't have to spend worker turns picking it up and it can't be pillaged, which means I'll have the iron for as long as the city stands. As I've moved up to difficulty 5/6, I've been finding it more and more useful.

In my latest game (Caesar, Pangaea, deity), I spawned at a poor production spot with two calendar resources. Very bad spot for a warrior rush as I would've needed a border pop to get any production tiles at all. I decided to take my settler for a walk. I think I moved 3-4 turns and settled by riverside plains wheat (2:c5food:, 1:c5production:, 1:c5gold: and deer (2:c5food: 1:c5production:) with nearby gold.

This ended up being totally worth it. I was very close to Washington and ended up taking his 2nd city on turn 13 with just two warriors. I also got both his workers. I never could have gotten a city that fast without moving my settler. Plus, I got the gold online a lot faster than I could have gotten those calendar resources. Of course I had a city up there soon enough anyway.

1-- Check the "Disable Start Bias Box" option during setup... i figured random would produce better conditions and about 75% of the time it sure does.

2-- Coast, River, within 2 turns or less. More luxury resources nearby is much better since it gives important duties for the first worker when all necessary techs start to roll-in.

3-- Always move the Warrior *FIRST* -- and towards the less obvious area nearby. For a very simple reason; as luck has it... these empty land regions may later reveal Horse/Iron/Coal/Aluminium/even Uranium tiles within some reasonable reach (the bynow infamous 61to91 hexes maximum for cities territory).

Finally, i'd like to ask everyone if they have noticed this too;
Mostly on archipelago maps, once you send a Settler on nearby islands... the recommended spot overlay (yellow arrow marker) doesn't show up. Not that i always follow such advice(s), but it's strange.

For a very simple reason; as luck has it... these empty land regions may later reveal Horse/Iron/Coal/Aluminium/even Uranium tiles within some reasonable reach (the bynow infamous 61to91 hexes maximum for cities territory).

Uh what?

Finally, i'd like to ask everyone if they have noticed this too;
Mostly on archipelago maps, once you send a Settler on nearby islands... the recommended spot overlay (yellow arrow marker) doesn't show up. Not that i always follow such advice(s), but it's strange.

That is a quirky feature and is temperamental. I have also noticed it does not show up, then the next turn it does and then one more turn and it has picked something totally different. I also wonder why the settler does not show the "potential" of all three loops instead of just two. It should also Highlight the available Culture Potential Also: the 4th and 5th loop. If they did not want ICS, they sure didn't make it any easier for those who do not ICS. Then again something in the code stops working properly after 5 cities and 10 workers. Whatever happened to the Empire Building game?:mischief:

So, just for clarity, exactly what happens with the resource if you settle on it's actual tile?
You get the native bonus but you lose the bonus you'd get for the worker improvement?

So, just for clarity, exactly what happens with the resource if you settle on it's actual tile?
You get the native bonus but you lose the bonus you'd get for the worker improvement?

No. What happens is this: The natural yield is checked against the minimum city yield for each yield type. Minimum city yield in vanilla is 2:c5food: 2:c5production: 1:c5gold: and the game takes the maximum of the two to determine your city tile yield.

So for a cow tile you get an additional :c5food:, for a good luxury you get an additional :c5gold: and for a strategic on a hill you get an additional :c5production:

No. What happens is this: The natural yield is checked against the minimum city yield for each yield type. Minimum city yield in vanilla is 2:c5food: 2:c5production: 1:c5gold: and the game takes the maximum of the two to determine your city tile yield.

So for a cow tile you get an additional :c5food:, for a good luxury you get an additional :c5gold: and for a strategic on a hill you get an additional :c5production:

Thank you, that is awesome.

Top Bottom