DoF Proposal in Diplo w/ leaders useless

I'm finding the option to offer a DoF to any AI useless, seeing as they never reply to it when I propose.

It always the AI that proposes it, so I figure why even have the option to offer it yourself when the AI rarely accepts the offer from you personally?

I hav noticed the same pattern. All my DOF stuff becomes passive.

I imagine it must be different for people depending on the difficulty they play or the AI personalities, but honestly this has happened every single time, so I came to this rather jaded conclusion. Really don't like coping with the whimsical yet almost predictable patterns for certain leaders, like a Friendly but backstabbing Alexander.

Is this a problem with the most recent patch? It's doesn't happen every time, but I've definitely had AIs accept my proposals for DoF's.

Just luck of the draw then.

It does work, but they do seem to be pretty strict about when they accept it. You'll offer a DoF and have it rejected and then have it offered back like 3 turns later, which is annoying. I usually just let them offer it since I get tired of guessing whether or not they'll accept it.

What I miss in diplomacy from civ3 at least, is the advisor saying if they will accept said offer or not. It would be so much easier not to have to guess everything.

For example there could be a notification (enabled at will), which would let you know which civs would probably accept a DoF at said turn. It may sound gamey, but at least it would prevent guessing.

Give DoF to a civ and he come begging, gimme this or that. An extra resource? they know it before you! So they beg before you even know you had the resource and before you could sell it.

Because the AI's turns are before you as as player, that's why they win the GL on you by a turn.

Blow an Engineer on a wonder, and the AI finish it the same turn, you just get cash.

DoF means you're giving in to the AI for the rest of the game, if you comply.
You can't get anything from the AI, so it is a one way street atm.

I'm finding the option to offer a DoF to any AI useless, seeing as they never reply to it when I propose.

It always the AI that proposes it, so I figure why even have the option to offer it yourself when the AI rarely accepts the offer from you personally?
I used to experience the same problem, then in my first game after new patch I've found three AI's agreeing to sign a DoF with me, while others didn't. I'm not certain what causes some of them to agree while others are having none of it (they were all in green on diplo screen).
That surprised me in a positive way :)

Either way I just notice that I've never been able to establish a DoF on my own, and I don't really care if I ever do considering how one-sided it all is. Still kinda ticked that the AI will be so many steps ahead of you, Civ has never been fair or lenient like that, and it never will be.

How does DOF actually help the player?

The only thing that comes from it is the AI asking you for money and luxuries and then denouncing you later on if you don't agree to their demands :p.
Or if they are crazy like Alexander, they might denounce you while you are friends and then you get a diplomacy hit with everyone for the rest of the game.

I know one reason to DoF and that is to have a block of friends so everyone starts to like each other more. But 1 on 1, doesn't do much.

Top Bottom