Double Your Pleasure

Now I know I'm going to break every netiquette there is but, I have been repeating this so often now, apparently without anyone listening, so I'm starting to get a bit p****d off by it.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SCRIPT.TXT - IF THERE WAS, IT WOULD NOT.... I REPEAT.... NOT BE WORKING FOR ME AND KAL-EL!!!!!!!!

Phew, glad I got that off my chest.....

Now please stop and think through what I just wrote...The Script.Txt is Not the problem - It is a symptom of the problem......as of now, we don't know what the problem is.
We only know how to remove the symptom (i.e. replace the Script.txt) ...... we need to find out what the Real problem is, after all, who is to say this will be the only problem of this kind we experience....

The way I see it is this: There is something different between my Civ3 Installation/Operating System/hardware/whatever, and that of anyone who is experiencing this problem - we need to find out what it is - we can remove/replace the script.txt for now, but that will not solve the problem, and I think it's very likely this is not the last time there is a problem like this, unless we figure out where our installation/OS/Hardware/etc. differ.

Originally posted by Isak
Now please stop and think through what I just wrote...The Script.Txt is Not the problem - It is a symptom of the problem......as of now, we don't know what the problem is.
We only know how to remove the symptom (i.e. replace the Script.txt) ...... we need to find out what the Real problem is, after all, who is to say this will be the only problem of this kind we experience....

The way I see it is this: There is something different between my Civ3 Installation/Operating System/hardware/whatever, and that of anyone who is experiencing this problem - we need to find out what it is - we can remove/replace the script.txt for now, but that will not solve the problem, and I think it's very likely this is not the last time there is a problem like this, unless we figure out where our installation/OS/Hardware/etc. differ. [/B]

All right here is exactly what happened to me.
I installed patch 4.5 on top of the following installed in this order
1.) Civ 3
2.) Patch 1.21
3.) DYP 033 Full
4.) Update DYP033 to04
5.) Update DYP040 to 045
Started playing a game. Built Stone hedge. Game crashed.
Tried to start game again. Kept on getting "Civ3 has caused an error, try restarting your computer" message.

Un-installed everything and put what remained in the infogames interactive folder in trash.
Got a weird message that I could not empty trash because file still in use. Restarted computer. Was then able to empty trash.
Defraged drive.
Reinstalled game (see above)
Defraged drive
Same error message.
Un-installed everything emptied trash (same error message) and defraged drive again.

Re-installed Civ3 and checked to see if I could start game.
I could.
Installed patch 1.21
Started game.
Installed DYP033 full
Game started
Installed Update DYP033 to04
Game started
Installed Update DYP040 to045
Error message
Installed Nightstorms script
Game started

Operating system windows ME
667 Intel Celeron processor
64MB Ram
48x CD ROM drive
15 GB hard drive

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cricket

Originally posted by cricket

Re-installed Civ3 and checked to see if I could start game.
I could.
Installed patch 1.21
Started game.
Installed DYP033 full
Game started
Game started
Error message
Installed Nightstorms script
Game started

Cricket

The same happened to me. Now I can play my favorite Civ3:) :love: How good to have Civ3 forum :goodjob:

Originally posted by cricket

Started playing a game. Built Stone hedge. Game crashed.
Another strange occurrence - I just played some turns and managed to build Stonehenge without errors...:confused:
But, concerning the startup-crash, am I right in assuming this means it started the first time with the 0.45 script.txt but then wouldn't load after that, or do I misunderstand you?
Tried to start game again. Kept on getting "Civ3 has caused an error, try restarting your computer" message.
Un-installed everything and put what remained in the infogames interactive folder in trash.
Got a weird message that I could not empty trash because file still in use.
Only because the program wasn't terminated correctly - some part of windows was still locking the file, preventing you from deleting it.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cricket
Thanks for posting it and please don't think I wanted people to lie in order to make me happy (if I want that, there's usually a fee involved).
In fact, postings like yours (though you can also email them to me ) are exactly what I'm going to need to solve this dumb puzzle. Thanks a lot, cricket :goodjob:

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SCRIPT.TXT - IF THERE WAS, IT WOULD NOT.... I REPEAT.... NOT BE WORKING FOR ME AND KAL-EL!!!!!!!!

Schhhy..
Stop shouting.
Well it maybe that there is nothing wrong with the script.txt in itself. I did a filecompare of the two text files and then used the very few changes there is and did a copy/paste

After a few changes I was able to start Civ3. Until the script.txt was close to the by Isak listed I was unable to start civ3 at all.

Go figure !

Originally posted by bernskov

Schhhy..
Stop shouting.
Sorry about that..... there comes a time in a man's life where he must do that, I guess... It's over now, so don't worry about it.

Maybe there will soon come a time in my life where I will have to cry too, especially if I don't figure out what's going on with the script.txt bug.

I'm taking a fresh new approach now, and I need to know the following from the people who had problems before using Nightstorm's script.txt:

- Your desktop resolution (800x600, 1024x768, or whatever) and you color scheme (16, 256, 16 bit, 32bit, or...??)

Alternatively, could someone try and replace Nightstorm's script.txt with the one from the v.0.45 and try running the game again. If it doesn't start, try changing your resolution to 1024x768 and color scheme to 16 bit.
Of course, if you're already running this when the game refuses to start, let me know, and I'll start looking into something else.

If it doesn't start, try changing your resolution to 1024x768 and color scheme to 16 bit.
Of course, if you're already running this when the game refuses to start, let me know, and I'll start looking into something else.

This is what I run.

Originally posted by NightStorm

This is what I run.
Ok, try changing it to 32 bit colors then.... that's what I run.

I am glad i found the (sympton to) the problem, and I am as puzzled as anyone else as to why it is causing the error to occur. I know that some games have crc checks on the files to that if the file is not a certain size, it fails, but I dont see any reason why civ 3 would be that way.

The new script.txt is an editing version of the 1.21f file, right? If it is not the edited version of the newest file, then it may be something that civ 3 thinks should be there and is not.

If you find the actual error, let me know. I have not been in a "civ 3 mood" since I got Dungeon Siege so I dont have the newest version of the DyP mod myself. :p

GIDustin

edit: OK this has puzzled me for too long. I am downloading the DyP mod now. I hope to be able to find a solution.

After comparing the DyP Mod's script.txt with the original 1.21f, I found 2-3 things that were different between them and not changed due to the mod (that i know of). One was the script for abandoning cities. Unless the DyP mod disabled that option, that text should be in the file. After fixing all the errors that I could see, I came up with the attached file.

I believe the only entries changed due to the mod were the dawn of civilization, and the artilery bombardment, but like I said, there were 2-3 other changes that may have been causing the crash. One of them was that #SCIENCEADVICERANK_STRONG_FUNDING had been renamed to #SCIENCEADVICERANK_AVERAGE_FUNDING, meaning that if you have a strong science funding, your game is doomed to crash because the entry is not there.

I hope this solves any problems (but knowing civ 3, i probably just created several more)

GIDustin

I got bored and started looking through the civilopedia and found many many errors. I would post them, but I am not a spammer. :p

If the person now in charge of pedia entries would like to know of these errors, just let me know (Example: TECH _Slavery should not have a space, . . .)

Also, I installed the dyp mod and *sigh* unfortunately it let me in the game with no crashes, so I am unable to test my own edited script.txt, so I will need someone else to test it for me.

Thanks

GIDustin

I understand this may be a little off topic -- OK a lot off topic, but I would like to thank all responsible for this mod. I have had zero problems with it and frankly, its better than any thing I have run across for this game.

The only thing that could be improved (and I am not complaining) are some of the graphics associated with the new advances and city improvements.

I dunno who gave this mod 4 stars -- it deserves a 4.9

mjc

GIDustin,

thanks for fixing that script.txt file. I guess I must have been using the 1.17f file.

Also, I installed the dyp mod and *sigh* unfortunately it let me in the game with no crashes, so I am unable to test my own edited script.txt, so I will need someone else to test it for me.

why is this unfortunate?

quidveritas,

Thanks, :) I am glad you like it. if you haven't already voted for this mod, please do so. (shameless, I know :D)

Did hit an error.

Invalid page fault in Mod Civ.exe at 0177:0056c33e

Error occurred right after I build the Oracle. Sorry but not a programer so I have no suggestions.

mjc

Originally posted by bernskov
And before it is released it is passed round to the a couple of us to test for validity etc.
Then (this is after testing) it is announcedon the board .. "and there was much rejoicing"

Will do! Consider yourself a DyP tester from now on. In addition I volunteer myself, Isak and Kal-el (unless they strongly object) and I would like Nightstorm as well. Any others? Send me a note on robert.olesen@get2net.dk - basically the job will be to test a coming release for crashes and in comparison with the readme/changelog within a given timeframe (a few days) and report any findings to the whole test group.

The mod is stabilizing so much that this is getting more important. Heck, it was also important previously, but we all wanted to lay our hands on this asap so that we could play it.

Originally posted by GIDustin
I got bored and started looking through the civilopedia and found many many errors.
If the person now in charge of pedia entries would like to know of these errors, just let me know (Example: TECH _Slavery should not have a space, . . .)

There are some more.
The change from Theocracy to Fundementalism is not complete (or intended?)

There are a few 'invalid entry' with some of the links.

The Civilopedia is far from complete.

Sorry guys, thanks for looking into to it, please send me the corrections you find (in a simple txt file not an edited civilopedia.txt, please).

The only thing I have done in the civilopedia which is currently included, is to add the BLDG_ entries, effects pages only - nothing else has been changed. I have an updated version, but it is still far from complete, so I don't want to post it (trying my best not to release untested material ;) )

Still, send me anything you notice needs changing, just to make sure I don't miss it once I get around to finishing

Uninstalled Civ3
Deleted all left-over files with the exception of saved games and hacked editor directory
Re-installed Civ3
Game Started.
Installed patch 1.21
Game started.
Installed DYP033 full
Game started
Game started
Never got past initial splash screen, no movie
Installed original game script
Game started

Followed this procedure. Running at 1024x768x16 bit.

Ok, try changing it to 32 bit colors then.... that's what I run.

Ok, did that.

Originally posted by GIDustin
After comparing the DyP Mod's script.txt with the original 1.21f, I found 2-3 things that were different between them and not changed due to the mod (that i know of). One was the script for abandoning cities. Unless the DyP mod disabled that option, that text should be in the file. After fixing all the errors that I could see, I came up with the attached file.

Downloaded this file. Once again, same problem at both 16 bit and 32 bit. Changed script.txt to script.bak and then copied in the original CD Installed script.txt file and the game works again. I'm stumped. :confused:

Originally posted by quidveritas
The only thing that could be improved (and I am not complaining) are some of the graphics associated with the new advances and city improvements.

The new advancements won't get any new graphics. This is because of a limitation with the number of techs added.

As for the graphics with the new wonders and improvements, I have seen a few that show some pink where it shouldn't be. Let me know which ones and I'll fix them and get them to Isak for a future patch.

Top Bottom