DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT - have new techs & Wonders? (esp. Technological Singularity?)

egaonogenki

Warlord
If Firaxis ever decided to include the Technological Singularity as a Wonder in a downloadable pack, what are all the benefits it should give?

We see some future tech in the original build: Fusion + Nanotech, etc., but like on Alpha Centauri, I'd also like to build cities at sea.

(We already kinda have cities at sea - Venice, et al.)

Then later in the future era, is there anything wrong with cities in the sky? (Cloud City, et al.)

How about underground? (New Zion, et al.)

Then underwater (New Martim Vaz, et al.)

The same repulsorlifts that float Bespin's Cloud City would finally enable the airlifting of ships. (I played Civ II in middle school; upon pressing the "Airlift" button while a battleship was selected, a pop-up said "Ships can't be airlifted, silly.")

But there have already been some downloadable expansion packs. What new techs & wonders did they add already? Where can I read more about them?

Techs and wonders as DLC.....

How can I describe the gut wrenching nausea I would feel if this were true?

To see whats available as DLC load up steam (or go to the steam webpage) and search for civilization 5

The official games have never been interested in future technologies, barring Alpha Centauri which is unlikely to be remade. There are mods, however - someone is transferring as much stuff from the Call to Power games to Civ 5, and Civ 4 has the Next War derived stuff.

I'd love to see the Singularity in one of these games, but it would certainly more powerful than a wonder with all the advantages it should bring. Then again, post-scarcity/virtual democracy, the civics based the Star Trek replicator type tech of Call to Power and Rise of Mankind mod were treated as only mildly superior (milage may vary) to other late game civics

BTW, good God no, no DLC. I don't even know why there's DLC for a mod friendly game like this

Techs and wonders as DLC.....

How can I describe the gut wrenching nausea I would feel if this were true?

:lol:

A $5 DLC pack that includes a couple of new technologies and a new wonder ... it sounds so perverse that it would probably sell like hotcakes! :rolleyes::D

And what does this even mean? Why shouldn't there be DLC in a mod friendly game?

Well, instead of buying all these individual civilizations packs like Catherine the Great, what's actually stopping the modding community releasing their own?

Well, instead of buying all these individual civilizations packs like Catherine the Great, what's actually stopping the modding community releasing their own?

Besides the lack of released code, and that Steam/2k owns any mods that are posted? not much.

Why pay money for 3 or 4 new techs when the same thing can be posted on the game servers for free?

At least with a new leader, there are graphics that the mod community currently can not match.

Why not just release an expansion pack with the civs, techs and scenarios? That would make me buy it. At least you get a proper product there. In most cases anyway.

Besides the lack of released code, and that Steam/2k owns any mods that are posted? not much.

They're additional civilizations. They're the minimal of mods in the grand scheme of things. Granted, you won't get superficial stuff like the leader heads, but so what? Did the reused leader models for the BTS mods detract from them?

What happens when the larger mods finally do turn up? There's bound to Civ 5's equivalent of Next War, Rise of Mankind and all. Won't Take Two allow these mods to be remain free, even though they offer more content than the DLCs? Will they limit distribution of the hard work of the modders?

Suppose it's the way the world's going. The ringtone, app, and facebook crap generation

They're additional civilizations. They're the minimal of mods in the grand scheme of things. Granted, you won't get superficial stuff like the leader heads, but so what? Did the reused leader models for the BTS mods detract from them?

What happens when the larger mods finally do turn up? There's bound to Civ 5's equivalent of Next War, Rise of Mankind and all. Won't Take Two allow these mods to be remain free, even though they offer more content than the DLCs? Will they limit distribution of the hard work of the modders?

Suppose it's the way the world's going. The ringtone, app, and facebook crap generation

If I am interpreting the Steam/2K Liscensing agreement correctly, any mods uploaded to Steam have no ownership rights. I'm not a lawyer, and I could be wrong, but any mods like Rhys or FFH made for Civ V will no longer be their creators property, but belong to the suits.

If I am interpreting the Steam/2K Liscensing agreement correctly, any mods uploaded to Steam have no ownership rights. I'm not a lawyer, and I could be wrong, but any mods like Rhys or FFH made for Civ V will no longer be their creators property, but belong to the suits.

Sounds about right, and worrying if they do hold back mods like those. I can see a huge grey area occurring though, between the IP and DLC rights of Take-Two/Firaxis, and the free expression (nothing evocative meant) from those who like to mod and tinker. Activision ended the modding scene for the Call of Duty games when they started controlling servers and using DLC. I'm thankful Civ hasn't gone that far, but it's a worrying direction for me

Top Bottom