Dutch history in a nutsack: The pocket guide to the Dutch past

DaanO

Chieftain
Ok, so I had this idea for an AAR, but I don't know yet if it will actually be entertaining or interesting to read. The idea is that I play a game of Civ, and according to how I play, make up a history around it. This has probably been done before, but I'm still quite sure it'll be a nice change of scene here in the AAR section. Please tell me what you think.

Oh, and important, I meant Nutshell. Not nutsack, I just realised that is something quite different from a nutshell. If one of the mods would be so kind to change the title to nutshell and not sack, that would make me quite happy

Settings:
Map: Continents
Size: Large
Civ/Leader: Dutch, Willem van Oranje
Diffuculty: Monarch
Speed: Epic
All the rest is just standard settings

------------

The Dutch history is an interesting one, especially in contrast to the history of most other nations on this earth. In contrast to most of this world´s historical states, The Netherlands have been a relatively free, open and democratic society since their rise as an entity. Even under the old Wilhelmian kings, who ruled dynastically from about 2000 BC ‘till 310 BC, the Dutch people had a relatively large voice in the way their lands were ruled. This also colors the Dutch history quite differently: there were barely any revolts against the current leaders, most problems with other nations were solved diplomatically, or atleast with as little violence as possible. This on it’s turn printed the Dutch as pacifist people, which they have been for most of their history.
Traditionally, the Dutch history begins in the so-called mythic Era, which lasts to roughly 2200 BC, when the teachings of Judaism became deeply penetrated into Dutch civilization. There is little known about this particular time of Dutch history, even though there is evidence that the Dutch were already highly developed by 2500 BC. The society was still Tribal in nature: monthly chiefs gathered with their most prominent townsmen and discussed the state their village and the country was in. The towns who were large enough had an high degree of independence, and only answered to the High Chief on military and some economic grounds. The Council of Raadsmen in Amsterdam was some kind of ‘senate’, but it is unclear how powerful they really were
It is in this era that the ‘Great Three Cities’ were founded, Amsterdam, Utrecht and The Hague (Den Haag). The exact founding date of Amsterdam is shrouded in mystery, but recent archeologic operations have showed that it is probably much older then the other two. There are also two giant monuments that come from this age: The Amsterdam Standing Stones, and the renowned Great Wall.

The Great Wall is a most interesting chapter in Early Dutch history. According to archeological discoveries, the wall was built around 2500 BC, which is close to the end of the mythical era, and there are some mentions of the structure in Egyptian documents of this time. The wall was apparently meant to shield the Dutch sphere of influence of barbarian incursions, but it follows a very different route then the actual Dutch ´borders´ of that time. The small area above the Maas, called ´Boven-Maas' in Holland, is also shielded by the Wall, while it was at the time still habitated by Aztec people. Apparently, these Aztec people asked for Dutch protection after they were raided by unkown Barbarians a few years before the wall was finished. The Council of Raadsmen denied them any military help, but did offer them to be built in by the wall, in exchange for their loyalty. The tribe agreed, and so the Wall was directed away from the line of the Maas it was supposed to follow, and around the Aztec tribal lands. Due to the wall, the tribe was somewhat locked away from their fellow Aztecs, and they were not happy with the amount of influence the Dutch had on them. After a few years of safety due to the wall, the Aztec tribe was done with the Dutch influence, and broke away from the Confederation.

This was only possible because Dutch political power was mostly decentralized, and it may even be a bit to early to speak of a Dutch state: more so of a Dutch confederation, which loosely tied the larger cities into the confederation. Around 2250 BC, times were changing however. An Egyptian exile named Solomon, who was banished because of his religious beliefs, arrived in Utrecht and was accepted into the court of the local Chief, William of Orange, as a teacher for his children. This mysterious figure influenced the Chief to a large degree, and converted him to his personal religion: Judaism. It is said that he then wrote the entire Torah in one week, in some trance like state, and then died. To this day it is still debated if this is a true story, or just something William made up to influence his peers through religion, but a fact is that William spread the word of the Torah, which found much response among the Dutch people. Within a few years, large parts of the Dutch population was Jewish in nature, and there was a cry for a Jewish leader instead of the still pagan Council of Raadsmen. William, who was also in the council, declared himself king in the council in 2232 BC, and thereby founded the First Dutch Kingdom. He was backed by the men of the cloth, and a large part of the recently converted Dutch population. The Council of Raadsmen still continued to exist, but were a lot less powerful then they were before.

A small map of the Dutch Kingdom in 2232 BC
Black line is the Great Wall
Orange line are the approximate spheres of influence of the Dutch cities

------------

As you see my little map has been crudely drawn in Paint. If anybody knows a better program to do stuff like that, keeping my limited computer skills in mind, that would be pretty damn awesome

The map actually looks nice: it looks as if somebody drew it by hand, then scanned it and typed up the labels.

Try drawing it by hand and then scanning it in. Paint doesn't allow much finesse.

Good job so far... can you post a few screenshots?

Top Bottom