Hi @Fortis1

Same issues with Cursed Altair, Death Altair, Free Pirate Harbor.

I downloaded the EFMII files and checked to see if the files were there.
The missing files are included in the EFMII 1.03 beta, but were not included in previous versions, nor in subsequent patches.

I suggest that you re-download the EFMII 1.03 files, then put the latest patch on it (EFMII beta 1.07) and copy and overwrite them to the game's civilization III directory.

EFM_beta_all.jpg EFM_Beta_1.03-1.07_files.jpg

If you have installed the latest patch for EFMII beta 1.0 (EFMII beta 1.07), it does not contain the files described. unfortunately it has become such a large patch that it was difficult to unpack and repack at all times due to the size of the patch. EFMII beta 1.03 contains the missing files, the following patches are no longer.

Last edited:
I see, no problems. I just used placeholders. The game also crashed when I tried to build Eagle rider. Ini files seem to be referencing Wild Griffin, but the actual sounds are located in Griffin Rider folder.

I am playing as European Wizards, so far so good after 250 turns. Good guys seem to be way stronger then undead. Irrigation is a game changer. Dwarfs seem overpowered to me, since they have both access to irrigation and mining. Wood elves are also strong, since they can plant forest, which can compensate lack of mines.

It took me around 200 turns to realise, that you have to build 3 taverns to be able to build Town Hall which allowes growing beyond size 6. I should be way stronger by this time. I am second after Canadian Dwarves in score (sorry, can't remember actual civ names).

Reducing number of harbors worked very well. Now the game is fast. However, magical portals do the same. I think, you could tie them to some resource (mana or crystals) too. Speed is managable for now though.

There are still issues with unit balance, howerer my army is way more diverse compared to undead. Fast magician units upgrade to slow wizards and the only fast unit left in middle era is Wise one, which is only A3. I managed to trade for elephants, which made situation better, but you rarely could take elephants by yourself, since they are only found way south. There are problems with air units. Great Eagles are simply the best and one of the cheapest units. With ROF 3 and 15 bombard and lethal land bombardment they can kill any foot unit in one go. Firebird looks like the best interceptor - better than eagle rider or griffin rider or royal griffin, but at least it is expensive. Flying castle looks very cool, but it is no worth in building it, unless you don't have nest resource. It has weak A/D, low range and only 1 RoF. Civilopedia mentions them having lethal sea and land bombradment, but they can't destroy land units. Dragons look worthless. For their shield costs their stats are underwhelming. Stealth is nice, but I could simply build 2-4 eagles instead. They also have lower RoF. Bombardment is good, but with low defense of the lategame units they are not worth it either.

I have a very bad luck with hardwood too. It disappeared 3 times from my territory already. I suggest that you make at least one naval unit which doesn't require any resources. I was able to build ships only after discovering navigation (cannon cogs do not require hardwood).

I see, no problems. I just used placeholders. The game also crashed when I tried to build Eagle rider. Ini files seem to be referencing Wild Griffin, but the actual sounds are located in Griffin Rider folder.

Thank you for your feedback.
I fix the bugs and look at the balance of the later units, I neglected it a bit as I didn’t have much time to deal with it.

I am playing as European Wizards, so far so good after 250 turns. Good guys seem to be way stronger then undead. Irrigation is a game changer. Dwarfs seem overpowered to me, since they have both access to irrigation and mining. Wood elves are also strong, since they can plant forest, which can compensate lack of mines.

i will figure out something else as to how i can support the undead. I can also raise the unit maintenance costs of the governments on the good side to make it a little harder to develop their armies.

Reducing number of harbors worked very well. Now the game is fast. However, magical portals do the same. I think, you could tie them to some resource (mana or crystals) too. Speed is managable for now though.

This is a good idea, so it will be resource dependent to build portals. :)

I have a very bad luck with hardwood too. It disappeared 3 times from my territory already. I suggest that you make at least one naval unit which doesn't require any resources. I was able to build ships only after discovering navigation (cannon cogs do not require hardwood).

I will also look at which of the marine units would need hardwood.

It took me around 200 turns to realise, that you have to build 3 taverns to be able to build Town Hall which allowes growing beyond size 6. I should be way stronger by this time. I am second after Canadian Dwarves in score (sorry, can't remember actual civ names).

if I forgot to write this into civilopedia, I will make up for it... ;)

I suggest that you give additional food production to planes, grassland, floodp plain and maybe hills to make effect of irrigation less powerfull, You can increase food consumption by citizens to mitigate increase of food production. At the same time you can make hills, deserts, mountains and maybe plains to produce more shields, so mines also worth less. I suggest railroads to be available to everyone, it is too powerful tool for a single race to have. Planting forest can be available to all good factions to mitigate loss of mines. Overall, I feel that workers don't have much to do. I just built roads everywhere I could, then irrigated everywhere I could. Now I just clean pollution with workers.

Concerning governments - I don't get the point of lategame govs available in late age. All of them seem to be very poor with marginal benifit of increased work speed (which isn't really needed since workers don't have much to do). I liked Dark Mage Empire, since it was stated in civilopedia, that it has minimal corruption, 150% WR and pay citizens with decent army support. But it ended up forced labour. Since pay citizens is almost always better (at least with mine 400 gpt income) I decided to stick to elemental kingdom.

Spies are overpowered in human hands. I can just go and pillage improvements in civs I am not in war with. I suggest you at least remove ability to pillage from them, so human player has to use bombardment and sacrifice a spy if they want to destroy improvements.

I think, late game navi can benifit from some additional speed (+2 or +3). It can be an effective alternative to railroads.

I am doing great so far. I am second in score and Canadian Dwarves are way ahead of me. They already took over almost whole of both american continetns. Scandinavian Elves are also strong and build a strong empire north and east of me. They destroyed Russian Dwarves with my help and now seem to stuck at war with Dark orcs from China (which are more like demons then orcs, I suppose?). African dark elves were strong, before they decided to go to war with me. I Quickly overwhelmed them with my Eagles and Elephant archers. I cut their empire in half and I doubt they will cause any serious troubles from now. South African undead, Inidan orcs and Indonesian pirates looks like formidable regional powers. Other factions are either destroyed or reduced to 1-3 towns. A lot of AI's towns are with only pop 1. I have no idea why. I think, more food may really be worth it.

I couldn't check for EFMII mod errors as much as you ran into it. You helped a lot. :thumbsup:

I suggest that you give additional food production to planes, grassland, floodp plain and maybe hills to make effect of irrigation less powerfull, You can increase food consumption by citizens to mitigate increase of food production. At the same time you can make hills, deserts, mountains and maybe plains to produce more shields, so mines also worth less. I suggest railroads to be available to everyone, it is too powerful tool for a single race to have. Planting forest can be available to all good factions to mitigate loss of mines. Overall, I feel that workers don't have much to do. I just built roads everywhere I could, then irrigated everywhere I could. Now I just clean pollution with workers.

It’s a good idea, so I’ll look into it and still modify the production in the areas. However, this will lead to further population growth, so I will also adjust the unit maintenance cost of good species governments to balance it. In the dwarf government, I will change the cost of unit maintenance on a larger scale. This will hopefully bring them back to normal levels so that they are not stronger than the other species.

Concerning governments - I don't get the point of lategame govs available in late age. All of them seem to be very poor with marginal benifit of increased work speed (which isn't really needed since workers don't have much to do). I liked Dark Mage Empire, since it was stated in civilopedia, that it has minimal corruption, 150% WR and pay citizens with decent army support. But it ended up forced labour. Since pay citizens is almost always better (at least with mine 400 gpt income) I decided to stick to elemental kingdom.

I'll review this too.
The Dark Mage Empire government is an accessible type of government for the good wizards as well (unfortunately), but I didn’t tailor it, the good wizard AI player will hopefully not choose this government because I set the ‘avoid’ setting. I didn’t want to make this type of government available to dark magical civilizations right from the start of the game. By getting the Dark Wizard to have this government option at a later era, the good wizard group also sees what he has access to.

Spies are overpowered in human hands. I can just go and pillage improvements in civs I am not in war with. I suggest you at least remove ability to pillage from them, so human player has to use bombardment and sacrifice a spy if they want to destroy improvements.

it's a good idea, I'll change that soon.

I think, late game navi can benifit from some additional speed (+2 or +3). It can be an effective alternative to railroads.

This is also a good idea, I am working on their implementation.

I started fixing bugs and filling in the gaps, (thank you).
I'll be back as soon as I'm done. ;)

Last edited:
Good guys seem to be way stronger then undead

I plan to further strengthen undead civilizations. Two buildings will hopefully move their cause forward. I would allow them to Hall of bones and a Hall of dead bodies. These would give the construction of similar small capitals like the Forbidden palace of the epic game.

I suggest railroads to be available to everyone, it is too powerful tool for a single race to have. Planting forest can be available to all good factions to mitigate loss of mines. Overall, I feel that workers don't have much to do. I just built roads everywhere I could, then irrigated everywhere I could. Now I just clean pollution with workers.

I want to leave the benefits of afforestation to elves and dark elves, but I’m coming up with something to help disadvantaged groups (except dwarves). I would also leave mine construction to the dwarves, but as you wrote, modifying the terrain values could also handle this. I would leave the mine-cart railway to the dwarves, but I would slip it to one of the final late developments of the last era so that its benefits would not be exploited for long. I will increase the movement of later naval units to replace the railway.

I'm currently making patch 1.08 for EFMII. Unfortunately, I'm making slow progress with it because I don't have much time to work on it on a daily basis. I noticed a minor error in the diplomacy.txt, I also corrected it and expanded it with a new batch of text matching the mod. I made 3 new buildings available to support the weakest species. The 'Hall of Dark' building can be built by dark races (except the undead, dark elves, chaos dwarves and pirates), the undead have two buildings: 'The Hall of Bones' and
'The Hall of Dead Bodies'. All three buildings function as a kind of small Capital.

I also created the graphics for the new buildings...
The Hall of Dark, The Hall of Bones, The Hall of Dead Bodies:

Hall_of_Dark_Splash.jpg HallofBones_Spash.jpg HallofDeathBodies_Splash.jpg

I updated civilopedia.txt, fixed in unit errors...
I am currently working on the air unit settings. as soon as the new unit balance is ready, I'll add it to the maps, then I'll add the new patch.

Last edited:
I tried to raise unit reservations at the government level. All species would have received an additional unit upkeep cost, except the undead.
Elf and Dark Elf governments would have paid +2 gold more unit upkeep per unit.
orc and dark orc governments would have paid +1 gold more unit reserves per unit.
goblin governments would have paid +2 gold more unit upkeep per unit. dwarven governments would have paid +3 gold more unit maintenance per unit.
chaos dwarven governments would have paid +2 gold more unit upkeep per unit.
human governments would have paid +1 gold more per unit reserve.

By definition, the amount written above would have been added to the current costs, which would have significantly increased the maintenance of units for the dwarves, in most dwarven governments it would have cost 6 gold, the highest cost required 7 gold unit maintenance, already at the beginning of the game under the Clan government, some units after the budget went into the red. Therefore, this cost expenditure surplus does not seem to be a viable option.

Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Elf, and Dark Elf governments may receive an additional 1 gold per unit maintenance cost in addition to the current cost. I'm still trying this to see how it works. ... or another solution is to increase the number of units with free maintenance in certain governments for disadvantaged species.

New EFMII beta 1.08 patch is available

Fixes, unit balance adjustments, especially focusing on air units.
I increased the durability of hardwood, so it disappears more slowly.

More information about the EFMII unit balance changes can be found in this xls file:

Attachments

• EFMII_unit-ballance-2.xls
    823 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
New EFMII beta 1.09 patch is available
I found a freezing bug in Pediaicons.txt, civilopedia pointed to the wrong path, I fixed that.

Last edited:
This MOD was fantastic in my opinion, congratulations for the work, when I'm on vacation in college I'll definitely play it a few times.

A very cool job. thanks

Top Bottom