Enlarging the human family: Homo troglodytes!

smalltalk

monkey business
A recent study suggest that chimps belong into the Human Genus. So species name should be changed accordingly into Homo.

This functional DNA evidence supports two previously offered taxonomic proposals: family Hominidae should include all extant apes; and genus Homo should include three extant species and two subgenera, Homo (Homo) sapiens (humankind), Homo (Pan) troglodytes (common chimpanzee), and Homo (Pan) paniscus (bonobo chimpanzee).
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/100/12/7181

The figure shows the inferred phylogenetic relationships among select catarrhines: Old World monkeys, apes and humans. The members of the genus Homo (as proposed in the paper) are shown in green, estimated dates of divergence in white and other catarrhines in yellow.

Welcome to the club!

Does this mean we'll now have to give equal rights to our fellow chimps? We should deffinately take "affirmative action" and allow a quota of bonobo's in Harvard, Oxford or Sorbonne.

humans are Homindae Homo Sapiens. Neanderthals were Homindae Homo Neanderthalis. Chimps used to be Pongidae Pan Tylodeges but are now Homindae Pan Trylodeges. Bonobos are now Homindae Pan Paniscus

I think Chimps(and Bonobos) should be in our Family, but not our Genus. I also think that it should be illegal to own an Ape and illegal to experiment on an Ape.

i know i didn't spell all of the names correctly on my chart, but, o well! :)

I would love to see GWB's face when someone told him be comes from a family of "Homos"... :)

Oh, wait... he didn't believe in evolution...

Exactly... perfectly fitting for magazine covers ;)

Originally posted by Cimbri

No, not in a catholic country :p

Is there still such a thing as a catholic country? And they say muslims have it wrong...

If we even contemplate treating apes as anything near humans, we all know that the consequences will be harsh, involving them taking over the world, riding horses and speaking with English accents. :ack:

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade
If we even contemplate treating apes as anything near humans, we all know that the consequences will be harsh, involving them taking over the world, riding horses and speaking with English accents. :ack:

Yes, and eventually they'll start looking like Michael Jackson.

:rolleyes: Golly. That's dumb. Evolution was just made up. This whole "chimps are closely related to humans" stuff is just worthless.

The chimp lobby is a powerful thing.

I think the homo genus should be restricted to rational animals, such as the erectus, the neanderthalensis, the sapiens arcadis and the sapiens sapiens(us!)

Originally posted by luiz
I think the homo genus should be restricted to rational animals, such as the erectus, the neanderthalensis, the sapiens arcadis and the sapiens sapiens(us!)

Not to forget homo sapiens civfanatiensis, the true follower of homo sapiens sapiens ;)

Don't you know that this new branch was created by John Kerry?

"You've got 52 troglodytes on the other side," Mr. Kerry said of his Republican colleagues, before abruptly stopping himself. "I take that back — I'll take that back. You have 50 people who believe something else on the other side of the aisle."

Source- New York Times ("As Campaign Tightens, Kerry Sharpens Message" By ADAM NAGOURNEY, August 10th, 2003)

So now we know where to find this new species.

Top Bottom