ExtraModMod continued

@lfgr I am so glad you're continuing development of this! I'm confused where this mod is as it still said MNAI-U 2.9 beta 3 and not just 2.9 last I can find incorporated. When is EMM going to use 2.9 (no beta)? Is it waiting for a non-beta 0.6 version on it? Thanks so much!

That sounds wonderful to me: is there anything we can help with testing specifically in game that may help you on the EMM part since it's been in a beta a while now? We mostly play multiplayer, so anything that's broken in singleplayer should likely show up there aside from WorldBuilder stuff so if there's WB stuff to check out I can play more singleplayer for you a bit. Seems like most of the untested work may be on Revolutions, is that the only thing or what else/other options should I be playing with to provide feedback?

Don't worry too much about the "beta" designation. It only means that some features that Terkhen (and I) originally planned for 0.6.0 are still missing. It's not meant as an indicator of stability (at least not since I revived the project).
Anyway, it's nice to hear that you're playing multiplayer successfully. I take it you're experience has been OOS-free so far? Otherwise, let me know.

Thanks a lot for your offer to help with singleplayer testing. You're right that Revolutions is the most experimental part. But feedback on that will be more valuable after I release the next version, since the MNAI 2.9u merge will bring some changes already. I'll post a thread on further balance changes in the near future, you can then also comment there if you're interested.

I can't think of any other option that specifically needs playtesting. You could turn on the "Living World" option to get more events, so you'll have a higher chance of encountering buggy events. Otherwise, I'd say just play it the way you like, and let me know if anything goes wrong. :)

I'm not sure if this will be covered by your planned edits to Revolutions, but this is the first time I've seen a revolution outright not spawn. In the first autosave Stormgul revolts against me, forming the Shaem, and in the next turn they die without any units spawning or attacking me

Attachments

• AutoSave_TURN-0532.CivBeyondSwordSave
    882 KB · Views: 30
  • AutoSave_TURN-0531.CivBeyondSwordSave
    879.6 KB · Views: 47
1: Is it intentional that Holy City Inquisition is disallowed?

2: Is there a way to teach the AI not to attack Runewyn and other similar summons? As funny as it is to throw a Runewyn onto a hill in enemy territory and watch them waste permanent units trying to kill it, that really shouldn't be a viable strat

I do just want to say, this is an amazing mod. I nitpick on a lot of things, but that's because I keep coming back to it and love it dearly

Is it intentional that Holy City Inquisition is disallowed?
I think so, and I think it's fine. You can still raze the city when conquering.

Is there a way to teach the AI not to attack Runewyn and other similar summons? As funny as it is to throw a Runewyn onto a hill in enemy territory and watch them waste permanent units trying to kill it, that really shouldn't be a viable strat
Good point, at the very least they shouldn't attack when it's duration is only 1 turn. I'll see what I can do. (Of course there are some very specific situations where they actually should attack, e.g. if it's at a chokepoint they want to pass, but whatever.)

I do just want to say, this is an amazing mod. I nitpick on a lot of things, but that's because I keep coming back to it and love it dearly
Thanks for your kind words, and I do appreciate that sort of nitpicking. :)
Of course, most of the credit goes to the original FfH team, Tholal, Terkhen, the original EitB developer(s), the BUG mod developers...

I think so, and I think it's fine. You can still raze the city when conquering.

Well often I want to keep a city for its wonders, but its also got the Ashen Veil holy city for example. But I certainly understand if its a deliberate design choice to ban Holy City inquisition

I am completely baffled as to why nothing shows up for the Khazad, Adaptive or Barbarian Trait UI interface improvements. The tooltip Khazad information shows up as normal and fine when hovering over the gold amount in the top left, but where is the other information supposed to be? My understanding is that these should be showing as bars? I see the code in the MainInterface.py, but it appears to be generating no result. Is it possibly an issue with resolution? I have tried a few, but usually only use the smaller resolutions so I can see my 3rd Kuriotates plot and read the text (which I already enlarge from the default in the Civ4 theme file). I am not having any problem with the Kuriotate city display "1/5" etc. from the same file, but it appears to be separate from the BUG files unlike the customizable bar implementations. Which files or options in BUG or python I should be checking to see if I can find the issue?

Last edited:
My understanding is that these should be showing as bars?
Correct.
Which files or options in BUG or python I should be checking to see if I can find the issue?
No idea, I don't remember adding BUG options for those (except the Khazad bar). I'll check it myself and then get back to you.

So, I tested it with my current development version (so there might be a difference to what you experienced with the released one). The Khazad vault BUG option does nothing, I'll remove it. The vault bar is displayed, though, on the top right. Same for adaptive and barbarian mistrust. Any chance you missed that?

So, I tested it with my current development version (so there might be a difference to what you experienced with the released one). The Khazad vault BUG option does nothing, I'll remove it. The vault bar is displayed, though, on the top right. Same for adaptive and barbarian mistrust. Any chance you missed that?

With Khazad, I have no vault bar.
With Malakim's Varn, I have no Adaptive bar.
With Kuriotates' Cardith Lorda, I have no Adaptive bar.
With Grigori's Cassiel, I have no Adventurer Counter bar and no Adaptive bar.
With Charadon, I have no Barbarian bar.
With Clan of Embers, I have no Barbarian bar.

With all of them I have Technology/Research as top bar in the middle with Great General bar to the bottom left of that and Great Person bar to the bottom right of that. Although I can't read the bars anymore if I go to higher resolutions, I can tell they go to a single line at higher resolutions. I see no bars of any kind under the clock, turn counter, menu button or advisor buttons if that's what you mean as to where there should be bars. If I am playing on variable difficulty challenge or a scenario red text is displayed below that area on the top right, but I see no bars there. When I play as Kuriotates, then on the top left to the right of the research "slider" (which I've never understood that name since it has never slid just has +/- buttons, but I digress) I see the current/maximum cities in white. I also see the Maximum Cities shown on the Kuriotates' flag hover tooltip as usual, and the vault status tooltip when hovering over gold as Khazad, but I don't see any other place to look where the Barbarian or Adaptive trait information/progress can be seen in any fashion. Is it possible to see this information without bars somewhere? If so, then I can live with the loss of functionality as nothing else seems amiss. For the Adventurer Counter, that's a different story as I have no idea what's happening there without a point of reference.

I didn't even know the bars were supposed to be a thing until I was trying to play as Grigori for the first time and observing nowhere to see said Adventurer Counter. Recently going through the notes of changes and what's in the python scripts I then saw the bars' coding, but I didn't see a more recent emm_features.txt since 6.0.1 to check if something had changed even though I see these bars identified in the python MainInterface.py still there, not commented on and not removed or commented out. I see no other references to them at all in any other files, so I don't know if they're stand-alone there in MainInterface.py what else could be conflicting that would give no errors at all but just never display the bars. I do see references to the Adventurer Counter in the CustomFunctions.py and CvEventManager.py, but even if there were something amiss there (which there isn't as far as I can tell), I don't know why all the other bars would disappear without any error or hint anything is wrong. It's all terribly mysterious! (smile)

Hi, I tried to give this a try after a pretty long time, but don't seem to get it to work with Civ4 on Steam. I just get this error:
upload_2021-7-9_12-45-54.png

My steamapps dir is in C:\Games and not in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam, which is probably the problem. Any other way to get it to run?

but don't seem to get it to work with Civ4 on Steam.

This might be unrelated to your specific problem, but to use most mods with Steam, you probably need to use the "old" version of BTS.
To change between versions: right click on BTS inside Steam, select Properties, select Betas, change beta opt in to original_release_unsupported.

The main difference (in addition to mod compatibility) is how multiplayer works. The "new" Steam version uses Steam's multiplayer and at most 4 players can be in the same game and the "old" GameSpy version enables DirectIP multiplayer option, that is not available in the Steam version, where there is no limit to number of players (but you might need to do additional things to make it work since GameSpy doesn't exist anymore).

Well, that could explain why an older EMM version I tried just caused weird errors when I tried to start the game. It's a pity there isn't a Steam workshop option for Civ 4 to get all the required mods installed easier.

Thanks for the hint. :)

This might be unrelated to your specific problem, but to use most mods with Steam, you probably need to use the "old" version of BTS.
To change between versions: right click on BTS inside Steam, select Properties, select Betas, change beta opt in to original_release_unsupported.

The main difference (in addition to mod compatibility) is how multiplayer works. The "new" Steam version uses Steam's multiplayer and at most 4 players can be in the same game and the "old" GameSpy version enables DirectIP multiplayer option, that is not available in the Steam version, where there is no limit to number of players (but you might need to do additional things to make it work since GameSpy doesn't exist anymore).

I have also been wondering why this happens. Other mods such as Realism Invictus work fine with the "new" Steam version.

Using the old BTS version branch seems to have fixed the installation problems, but both FFH2 vanilla and EMM refuse to start with a critical error:
upload_2021-7-9_19-17-54.png

If I go back to the original BTS branch, I'm at least able to start them, but I get dozens of XML errors and the game is pretty much broken, since I just get question marks for the Civ and leader selection.
So yeah, it's not looking good for me... :cry:

@lfgr I usually play on 1366 x 768, but if I have been playing Kuriotates then I'll change to 1280 x 800 because I have to in order to select anything in the top row of their third ring of workable tiles (just barely selectable at this resolution).

I switch between the resolutions as at 1280 x 800 the center message text will overlap the Research bar and conceal what's output, which I live with playing with Kuriotates but refuse to tolerate as any other civ where I don't need that top row selectable. I can at least still see the plot yields for all the other tiles in 1280 x 800 and can view those top three tiles in the overhead city view (single-click on the city name as opposed to double-click) even though you can't select different tiles to work in that view.

At any higher resolution, I either can't see or select the top row of the third ring at all or the city screen view zooms out so much I can select every tile but then can't see any of the tile yields because they're too small. Thanks very much for looking into the missing bars!

Last edited:
but both FFH2 vanilla and EMM refuse to start with a critical error
No idea what's happening there.

I'm at least able to start them, but I get dozens of XML errors and the game is pretty much broken, since I just get question marks for the Civ and leader selection.
So yeah, it's not looking good for me...
I could be wrong, but that sounds like an improper installation to me. Could you maybe try re-installing vanilla FfH? Does that work? You could also check the folder structure, there should be a file ".../Mods/Fall from Heaven 2/Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll" if vanilla FfH is installed correctly.

Top Bottom