Fastest achieved culture/science victory?

Thorak

Warlord
I just finished my first standard sized game as Polynesia on archipelago on diety (I usually play small maps).

Cultural victory at turn 272, built 5 cities and spammed moai everywhere I could. Managed to win after researching airport and using an artist to get a golden age for international games together with purchasing 2 musicians from faith.

Searching in the Hall of Fame I found the quickest culture victory was at 1814 AD (which I managed to beat by a few turns).

I really have to say I feel like the standard sized maps are a bit too big for me though so I am moving on to small maps for my next target which is a quick science victory. Looking at the hall of fame entries there are none on diety.

So are there anyone out there who had a really quick science victory on diety that I can compete with? Otherwise I'll just see if I can manage a quicker science victory than culture victory. ;)

This has been discussed at great lengths in many threads in the "strategy and tips" forum.

Thing about comparing earliest victory timing is that almost nothing is standardized. Even if you limit the game speed, map size, etc, just the pure starting location, resources, other civs in the game, etc affect the game too much. And some people may reload and lie about it, others won't reload.

I believe I have a deity cultural wins on turn 185ish on standard size map, standard speed, continents (as Spain). I also have science wins (same map settings) by turn 215. But these are probably misleading because I reloaded many times to find the advantageous maps and huts.

I just finished my first standard sized game as Polynesia on archipelago on diety (I usually play small maps).

Cultural victory at turn 272, built 5 cities and spammed moai everywhere I could. Managed to win after researching airport and using an artist to get a golden age for international games together with purchasing 2 musicians from faith.

Yer killin' me! I've been trying to do this a ton over the last two weeks with no luck. I love the moia and love the idea of a CV on deity without conquest, but by the time I get to 600+ tourism/turn, ONE of the AIs is generating enough culture and is annoyed enough with me (no open borders, etc.) that I can't break through.

Part of the problem might be that I have been playing on a large map; I am finding it tough to find enough spots to settle on a standard-sized map.

(Another is that I can't yet decide the best SP chain and whether to rush to Plastics, then bounce back to Archaeology, or hit Archaeology early. If I do the former, there's often not enough great works for me to bump up tourism that way. If I do the latter, I might not hit Plastics until turn 240'ish or so, which means the AI builds Christi and may get to Firewall.

Don't suppose you have your turn-0 save?

Generally the smaller the map, the quicker the cultural victory - you've got less civs to dominate, less civs to compete with for wonders, trade routes can basically reach more civs, etc.

Science victory doesn't seem that affected by map size to me.

I don't think my start was that spectacular, but I provided you the initial save as well as a save halfway and a save close to the end.

Beating Spain on a lucky start, especially if you reload to find early wonders/huts, will be almost impossible so I can see your point here. I did some reloading in my game though not so much (only when I failed coup against city states, Greece is rather annoying), so I can not enter the hall of fame either.

---

I'll try out a science victory as Maya (never played as them) and see what turn I end up with.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    550 KB · Views: 30
  • Kamehameha_0151 AD-0820.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Kamehameha_0256 AD-1730.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
What is it with people reloading turns? If I started reloading, or rerolling for that matter, the whole point of this game for me would cease to exist.

Whats the point in beating the game if you KNOW you cheated?

What is it with people reloading turns? If I started reloading, or rerolling for that matter, the whole point of this game for me would cease to exist.

What they are doing is not so much as cheating concerning their reloading habits. I would define it as more refining their strategies for the particular map that they are playing. UNLESS YOU ARE PLAYING SOMETHING LIKE A HOF CHALLENGE, where reloading is strictly prohibited in those types of games.
There is nothing wrong with reloading. I personally don't do it because I prefer the ebb, and flow of the
game in general.

What's the point of beating the game if you didn't cheat? For me, it's fun. Coming up with and testing strategies is what is fun for me. Reloading allows me to minimize the random factors involved. I am denying that reloading allows me a huge advantage. But I am not claiming that my victories are better than others' either. Sometimes I will play games without reloading. In this case, the fun lies in adapting to various random events. Both types of games are fun in their own way.

Searching in the Hall of Fame I found the quickest culture victory was at 1814 AD (which I managed to beat by a few turns).

I really have to say I feel like the standard sized maps are a bit too big for me though so I am moving on to small maps for my next target which is a quick science victory. Looking at the hall of fame entries there are none on diety.

So are there anyone out there who had a really quick science victory on diety that I can compete with? Otherwise I'll just see if I can manage a quicker science victory than culture victory. ;)

Did you notice that hof game was on a huge map? :) Best CV games on standard size come around t.230-250.

Anyway, i could answer your call, if you're still interested. Let's pick a civ and compete in hof for CV. I'll let you pick a civ. I would prefer standard size+ games though.

EDIT: They only started BNW hof a month or two ago. Waited for the patch. Hence - not many entries yet.

@Lambatatte:
I can agree somewhat about the reloading. I just reloaded once when I lost my fully upgraded spy with 85% coup success and no other reloading (too annoyed with alexander at that point and his 100% coup success rate).

Rerolling is something different though and I really consider it no fun to start with a nonoptimal start if I try to finish the game as early as possible.

---

@Moriarte:
Ok, let's make a challenge then. I'm away for christmas celebration for a few days now, but when I come back how about a game with the following settings:
- Brazil
- Continents
- Standard size
- Everything else standard

In what forum are these challenges usually posted? The Hall of fame forum? Do you prefer to use the same map or just the general guidelines above?

Ok, let's make a challenge then. I'm away for christmas celebration for a few days now, but when I come back how about a game with the following settings:
- Brazil
- Continents
- Standard size
- Everything else standard

In what forum are these challenges usually posted? The Hall of fame forum? Do you prefer to use the same map or just the general guidelines above?

Yes, you can post this challenge in hof section, there is a chance someone else will join in to compete. Or, if you're busy/lazy, you can skip it and then it's just you and me.

I agree to your settings. Didn't play Brazil yet, so, should be fun. Oh, be sure to read hof rules. There are few requirements, like autosave every single turn should be enabled and certain settings are forbidden: allow policy savings and few others..

Ok I am back. I read through the rules and I realised I am not allowed to use "strategic balance" for resources. I also changed to save every turn and keep 1200 (wow that's a lot) autosaves. I am a bit surprised goody huts are allowed as these are truly random and have a rather big impact if you manage to find a culture one early one.

But I'll post my starting settings here just to make sure I don't break any HoF rules unintentionally:

---

Brazil
8 civs
16 city states
Continents
Standard size
Difficulty deity
Game pace standard
Ancient Era
World age 5 billion
Temperate
Normal
Sea level high
Resources standard (I always play strategic balance, will be interesting to see how different this one is)

All victory types (but we're going for cultural)

No checkboxes in last section except:
Quick combat
Quick Movement

---

Does everything look ok according to HoF rules? If it does I will post this as a challenge in HoF forum...

(Another is that I can't yet decide the best SP chain and whether to rush to Plastics, then bounce back to Archaeology, or hit Archaeology early. If I do the former, there's often not enough great works for me to bump up tourism that way. If I do the latter, I might not hit Plastics until turn 240'ish or so, which means the AI builds Christi and may get to Firewall.

Is Christo really that important at this point? Have you tried Archaeology right after Radio with build of Radio Wonders, Museums, Broadcast Towers (obviously buy when possible.) Then Refrigeration for Hotels. I ask because I'm not really a Deity player. Are you just trying to keep it out of the AI's hands?

Part of the problem might be that I have been playing on a large map; I am finding it tough to find enough spots to settle on a standard-sized map.

Standard size should be easier for sure. Again, not a Deity player.

Yer killin' me! I've been trying to do this a ton over the last two weeks with no luck. I love the moia and love the idea of a CV on deity without conquest, but by the time I get to 600+ tourism/turn, ONE of the AIs is generating enough culture and is annoyed enough with me (no open borders, etc.) that I can't break through.

Great Musician bombs still not enough? Again, not a Deity player; I'm really not sure how much more Tourism you need to win.

Merry Christmas, everyone! :)
Happy Holiday Season for anyone not celebrating Christmas. :king:

Top Bottom