CIV VI MONTHLY CHALLENGES NOW ON STEAM

I don't see any way to access the challenge via my launcher or the in-game main menu.
Am I missing a setting or something else?

I don't see any way to access the challenge via my launcher or the in-game main menu.
Am I missing a setting or something else?
Make sure your game's updated. It's right on the main menu.
1700009297953.jpeg

Thank you for responding Lex.
I've updated but still no option to play the challenge.
I'll try reloading.

Oof, seems all hardcoded, no files accessible. The only thing that could be done I suppose is recreate the whole thing by hand with FireTuner or so as a savegame.

Oof, seems all hardcoded, no files accessible. The only thing that could be done I suppose is recreate the whole thing by hand with FireTuner or so as a savegame.
The files seem to be downloaded by the .exe from one of the following urls:
From either of these you can download a .ZIP file containing the challenge's map-file and other such pertinent data

EDIT: I meant to add that as I was playing the challenge my laptop abruptly shut off; no crash message or anything, just straight to black. It booted back up just fine though. Did anyone else experience this?

EDIT #2: You can also find in your appdata folder under "AppData\Local\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Challenges"

Last edited:
Not a happy camper!:mad: The rotating map and Civilization title is all I get (along with the music), even after several (10+) minutes.

EDIT: referring to after loading the game update. No text

Last edited:
I have so many questions.

Basically, we are aiming for a Cultural victory with a Cultural leader for a month. We have 5 victories in the game, so 5 months worth of challenges. With World Congress being exclusive to Gathering Storm, if they plan to play all victories, the expansions have to come out to play at a moment.

I guess, we could see something like that (random pick):
  • Rise and Fall, probably a King Challenge, Religious as Georgia.
  • Gathering Storm, probably Emperor Challenge, Diplomatic as Canada.
  • New Frontier Pass, probably Immortal Challenge, Scientific as Maya → it needs an expansion, either Standard of Gathering.
  • Leader Pass, probably Deity Challenge, as Domination as Julius Caesar.
(Scenario and Civilization Packs do not exist)

But why? It would be a good way to get the player spellbound to the news of the franchise. But what would be the announcement?
Perhaps they are going to (re)announce Civilization VII. Or maybe they going to add a small expansion on Civilization VI as: "the Ultimate patch" or something?

If I am right on the victories focus, they could even add a new victory condition. For example, they could bring back the old Domination victory as an Expansion victory. Something like:
Expansion victory: Your Civilization and City-States under your control have to cover 50%+ of the landmass, and have at least twice as much territory as the most wide empire beside you.

If so, nothing could prevent them to update the victory conditions. Domination could have a Vassal / Liege system, and update its conditions to: Capture the Capital or be the Liege of all Civilizations in the game.
It would be the perfect opportunity to fix the World Congress. They could alter the voting system so that a wider and populous Civilization could have more base votes, but still have Diplomatic Favor as a currency to either buy votes, or proposes resolutions to be put under votes (no more random ones). They could expand the diplomacy with Grievances for people opposing the resolutions.

Or they could instead choose to bring back a "Money" victory in some way, even if I am instinctively making the connection to diplomacy, where money can buy, corrupt or lobby your way to victory. But they can do something interesting to it, more than "being the first at being at an arbitrary GPT / total Gold".

It's tempting, though it's been so long since I played the base game I don't know if I remember how.

I'm a little confused. Are we competing against other players? How do we actually "win"?

Is this also open to Mac players and consoles? But a lot of the DLC -- including the expansions -- are available for the other platforms, right?
I updated my game: I have GS, NFP, and LP. The challenges are visible for me.

Last edited:
Is this also open to Mac players and consoles? But a lot of the DLC -- including the expansions -- are available for the other platforms, right?
The Challenges are only on Steam, but If I recall correctly, all DLCs are available to all platforms now.

Unfortunately, the in-game Hall of Fame doesn't save progress to a cloud or in Steam, because after I reinstalled Windows, all my game progress was lost (

Maybe it's not just about reviving hype for Civ 7 announcement but also testing yet another future feature? Humankind also does some challenges here and there and it goes into the nowadays typical "Don't allow players to forget your game for a second, spam them with activities" business practices games seem to consider "modern".

Wouldn't be surprised If we got these regularily with proper rewards during Civ 7 run.

Maybe it's not just about reviving hype for Civ 7 announcement but also testing yet another future feature? Humankind also does some challenges here and there and it goes into the nowadays typical "Don't allow players to forget your game for a second, spam them with activities" business practices games seem to consider "modern".

Wouldn't be surprised If we got these regularily with proper rewards during Civ 7 run.
I wouldn't be surprised either. I mean, GotM has been a popular activity here at CFC for decades. Firaxis is just making an official variant of it.

I hope not to the extent Humankind has done it. Using FOMO with missable in-game rewards to cajole me to play just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope not to the extent Humankind has done it. Using FOMO with missable in-game rewards to cajole me to play just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Didn't they stop doing that, though? I thought that they'd made the rewards available in some other way and switched to community-wide challenges where everyone gets the rewards.
Is this feature available in the Aspyr version of the game?
I cannot find it anywhere in the in game main menu:
View attachment 677485
It's only available on Steam.

Not a happy camper!:mad: The rotating map and Civilization title is all I get (along with the music), even after several (10+) minutes.

EDIT: referring to after loading the game update. No text
If you're using Enhanced Goodies and Hostile Villagers and/or Enhanced Natural Wonders Selection, one or both is very likely the culprit. This game update introduced a new MainMenu.xml template which at the very least has new instance definitions for the carousel UI shown in the screenshot posted by @LexTheMighty above. Since these mods replace that template with a version that does not contain these instance definitions, the updated MainMenu.lua script breaks the main menu UI completely when it tries to load the carousel UI. Removing the mods should resolve the issue until I can get updated mod versions published, which should happen soonish.

EDIT 2023/11/16: New versions of these mods have been published to the Workshop, which should resolve the main menu UI breaking issue. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom