Favorite Bands/Artists

bestrfcplayer

Steppin' up!
This thread is a discussion on your favorite bands/artists.

My favorites: Skillet, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Shinedown, Eminem, Bon Jovi Journey and Jason Aldean.

We should include reasons so as to make this a better discussion.

My current top 5 favorite artists are probably Björk, PJ Harvey, David Bowie, Kate Bush, and Portishead.

Reasons:
Spoiler :
Björk: I do not dislike any albums that Björk has made. In fact, my favorite album, Homogenic, is by her. I think she has a very unique instrumentation and ways of expressing emotions, as well as a captivating voice.
PJ Harvey: Like Björk, she also has a captivating voice, but instead of being rooted in electronic dance music, she is influenced by post-punk and blues. She is also a very effective songwriter.
David Bowie: The breadth of music he has done is fairly astouding; more astounding is how successful he is at them (at least in the 70s), from the piano-driven pop of Hunky Dory to the harder Ziggy Stardust to the art rock of Station to Station and the Berlin Trilogy.
Kate Bush: Like Björk, she has unique ways of expressing emotions, and refreshingly refuses to has irony or cynicism in her songs. She can effectively have arty songs if she wants, as on the B-Side of Hounds of Love, but she also has written some of my favorite pop songs ever, such as Wuthering Heights and Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God).
Portishead: Portishead are perhaps the best painters of a certain atmosphere or mood of any group I know. The emotions of despair, hope, and resignation are practically tangible on their best songs. They spawned legions of imitators in the late 90s, but they are by far the most rewarding of any downtempo group of their period, both in the production and in the songwriting. Also attractive about Portishead is Beth Gibbons's wonderfully expressive voice.

My favorite artists at this moment are:

Grateful Dead
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
Howlin' Wolf
Eric Clapton (Specifically Derek and the Dominoes)

Yeah, been majorly getting into 50s Chicago blues lately.

Not an exhaustive list:

30 Seconds To Mars
Angels and Airwaves
Antonin Dvorak
Antonio Vivaldi
Billy Talent
Blind Guardian
Fall Out Boy
Ludwig Beethoven
Michelle Branch
Mika
Missy Higgins
My Chemical Romance
Nine-Inch Nails
Owl City (sort of)
Pink
Rise Against
Scott Joplin
The Killers
Trivium

I have many bands that I like. I'm not even sure how to do this list, since I like classical a lot. But they aren't exactly a "band" since different conductors can perform the same work of a single composer. Often when driving I put it on a classical station and just enjoy whatever is on. I hardly listen to metal anymore.

So it seems strange to list metal bands as my favorite bands when I don't listen to them like I once did, but I will do so anyways. I still listen to pop music, and I really dug 80's pop/rock bands like the Police, Heart, etc. But I'll focus more on metal since that was my passion from age 13 on. As for why, I can't say why in most cases.

Metallica: still my favorite band. Not too heavy, not to light (except the black album which was a bit too light and too clean). My main gripe is their last two albums have been too muddy. Not that I want to return to the black album days of clean, but something in between would be nice. They are getting old though.

Tool: just damn cool, what can I say.

Iron Maiden (old): I mainly say the first 7 albums. I like Fear of the Dark too, but not much else of their newer stuff. I like their lyrical themes the most.

Rammstein: They have a certain sound American bands don't have, and they don't sacrifice heaviness for electronica stuff.

Black Sabbath (Ozzy years): They defined heavy metal as far as I'm concerned.

Led Zeppelin: not metal, but a perfect blend of styles.

I really don't know who my favourites are. I listen to so much music, it's so hard to pick.

Having said that, a few that come to mind are
Muse
The Living End
The Wombats
Silversun Pickups
Eskimo Joe
Children Collide
Rise Against
Kasabian
Pearl Jam
Trial Kennedy
Queens of the Stone Age
Art Vs. Science
The Kooks
Foo Fighters
Gyroscope
We Are Scientists
Arctic Monkeys
The Subways
Birds of Tokyo
Disturbed
Kaiser Chiefs
AFI
Slipknot
Iron Maiden
Billy Talent
Silverstein
Linkin Park
Kings of Leon
Klaxons
Interpol
Bloc Party
The Killers
Bullet For My Valentine
The Butterfly Effect
Stone Sour
Coheed And Cambria
Bluejuice
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Rapture
Maximo Park
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Placebo
Metallica
LCD Soundsystem
The Jezabels
Architecture In Helsinki
Calling All Cars
blink-182
The Presets
Franz Ferdinand
Fall Out Boy
Avenged Sevenfold

I'd better stop now.

1. Jimi Hendrix - The best guitarist ever, nuff said
2. Black Sabbath (Ozzy years) - First and Greatest Metal band
3. Bob Marley - Jah Man'
4. Ozzy (solo years) - Awesome vocals
5. Gorillaz - a new but great band

I decided to put this as a top ten in order of how many albums I own from that band or artist.

Dream Theater
Ayreon / Star One
Pain of Salvation
Porcupine Tree
Symphony X
Yes
Nightwish
Queensrÿche
Riverside
Genesis

Queen, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Phil Collins, Dire Straits... Daft Punk and Coldplay

I'd say Robert Johnson was better.

Will anyone ever play that crazy acoustic blues style of his again ? No . Was he doing the whole chord / melody at the same time thing well before Jimmy was even born ? Hell yeah .

But does his mastery of the guitar and diversity of output match that of Hendrix ? I doubt it and I'd suggest RJ would admit it . (But Jimi certainly doesn't have the whole ultra cool Crossroad thing going on)

Is asking yourself questions then answering them , quite lame in retrospect ? Yes

Dude the guy took the Delta Blues and converted it into the style of guitar playing that would later become the Chicago blues style. He could, quite literally, play anything after hearing it once. I have no doubt that if he was afforded the same opportunities and technologies that Hendrix was given he would match his output and exceed it.

Dude the guy took the Delta Blues and converted it into the style of guitar playing that would later become the Chicago blues style. He could, quite literally, play anything after hearing it once. I have no doubt that if he was afforded the same opportunities and technologies that Hendrix was given he would match his output and exceed it.

I'm not convinced that " taking the delta blues and converting it...." necessarily takes you into the stratosphere of greatest guitarist ever though . In the same vein , Jimi took the electric guitar and did things never heard before , nor since .And being able to play anything after hearing it once , well I can watch savants do that on the discovery channel .

And heh , the guy did die at 27 and he was totally self taught , hardly a wealth of opportunities . And really , his technological advantages aren't much more than amplification and a wah wah ( admittedly , not insignificant) . Im thinking this is more about taste in music than a discussion on the mastery of an instrument .

I'm not convinced that " taking the delta blues and converting it...." necessarily takes you into the stratosphere of greatest guitarist ever though . In the same vein , Jimi took the electric guitar and did things never heard before , nor since .And being able to play anything after hearing it once , well I can watch savants do that on the discovery channel .

Do you think it's any different for Johnson? That guy did things with the guitar I still can't believe. Entirely innovative, and he was just as mindblowingly good on slide as he was without. What's more we only have 40 2:30-3:30 minute snippets to go on with Johnson as opposed to several albums and dozens of live recordings to go on for Hendrix. These guys are both easily in the top 5, but come on. It's Robert freaking Johnson.

Since I'm in total agreeance that in the sphere of blues inspired ( so everyone from Keith Richards to Scotty Moore and Duane Allman included as opposed to classical , Country ,metal , flamenco etc ) guitar , both guys are easily top 5 , it probably comes down to taste .

Edit....those guys I mentioned don't complete my top 5 , I just used them to define the limits of the genre

This thread is a discussion on your favorite bands/artists.

My favorites: Skillet, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Shinedown, Eminem, Bon Jovi Journey and Jason Aldean.

My favourite band is absolutely the Beatles.love all of their songs...

Meh, they had 3 or 4 good albums, but they are grossly overrated. Especially in their early years when they were little more than a cheap Buddy Holly ripoff.

Oh lordie.

In no special order, here are some bands/artists I listen to a lot: The Clash, Depeche Mode, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, The Pixies, Faith No More, various Mike Patton projects, Kraftwerk, Muslimgauze, KMFDM, The Church, The Cure, and Dead Can Dance.

Top Bottom