FF051 OoS thread.

Webrider - thank you for that post. I would definitively say this is a cause of out of synchs. Because I made a mod that turned off goblin archers ranged attacks and the game was able to continue on without incident instead of OOSing at the start of each turn.
This is a victory of the highest order in the OOS war. (gives him a star)

From my end, I proudly bring the FF multiplayer community OOSBreaker, a simple short module which turns off the Goblin Archer's ranged attacks and allowed us to continue our game. If further problems continue I may have to pull all of the ranged attacks, but right now the barbs seem to be the ones that cause the most OOSing.

Disclaimer: OOSBreaker is currently only good for this one type of out of synch. No warranties, guarantees, or refunds. May contain dolphin.

Attachments

• OOSBreaker.7z
    8.3 KB · Views: 79
i stopped playing fall further because of oos.

i only play multiplayer so we went back to FFH2 - there it perfectly works.

check out with Kael - there have to be a great deal about oos - i remeber issues in ffh2 too

don't invent the wheel again - ask how he found the obviously ultimate solution.

As with medicine, there is no miracle panacea for OOS issues. What was dobe to solve them before has already been done, so cannot ve done again.

Ice: Could you post in the bug thread about Gobbis causubg OOS issues?

Also the I think the ranged OOS only happens when the ranged attacks are supposed to be visible to a human player, if they happen in the dark so to speak they are fine. Because until you uncover that gobbie archer the game ran fine.

I did post this on the bug report thread for .50 on may 3rd

While on the subject I have experienced OOS due to ranged attacks in general, one time the Mechanos player (playing FFPlus) warned us of a big siege taking place (3 or 4 mortars and some Organ Guns) and as he pressed Bombard, the game went OOS.

I have long suspected ranged attacks in general to be a source of OOS errors.

Got another one I can't find an explanation for other than the randoms getting jammed up. Seems to get confused right when the animals attack.

Attachments

• OOS9-5.7z
    60.3 KB · Views: 71
I would hate to see ranged combat removed to fix the OOS I hope youcan fix the code.

I didn't pull Ranged Combat - just ranged combat from Goblin Archers.
That seems to fix it. I'm still able to do ranged combat with troops and against AI civs just fine.

Cool will it be in the next patch or do you have a mini file we could install to fix it>>??

Bad news - it's ALL ranged combat. We hit another OOS wall I was only able to pass with a new mini-file that removes it from everything. Something about it is shunting the games out of synch when it comes up. With it removed, we're now onto finishing our first FF game - OOSing very rarely - once every 50ish turns, at turn 471 now.

I don't like the idea of having to remove ranged combat, but since it's what I had to do to get a game into the late 400s multiplayer and be as stable as base Fall, I did it without major regrets.
So far, it's working REALLY well.

I'm thinking if you remove sound from ranged combat first and see if that fixed it. Somewhere in the the code it tells the computer to do sound. I bet that is a half the equation. If you could split the sound from the graphics that might eliminate half the equation up front. Hell I could do without sound if that was the simple fix.

oh well just a thought since they seem the most delayed. We play via teamspeak and can hear the difference. Too bad you can't break the graphics off as well. I figured the computer would transmit the event in 3 pieces, sound, graphic, and effect. So much for being logical.

the computer doesn't transmit those things at all. Assets are all stored locally.

All it really needs to transmit is the fact that a battle is occuring at <x, y, z> between MR A and MR B. As well as the results of said battle and such, I'm guessing.

It doesn't even translate the results - the potential results are from the random seed (which isn't really random, but a series of numbers the game pulls when anything that needs them comes up.) and the only thing transferred is the fight - at the start of the game it puts both players on the same random seed so as long as everybody does the same stuff, you get the same results. This is why the tiniest difference causes a total desynch - maybe not now, but later on the line.

Example: Player 1 gets a ranged attack, player two doesn't, so now player 1 is a random seed number ahead of player two. This means that he pulls a 46, the other player pulls a 25. If the chance is 50% the game won't desynch, but if the chance is 30% it will.

Ice: If you can capture a save where all I have to do is load up the game on my computer with 2 human players and click on ranged attack with a unit you tell me to use and it'll go insta-OOS every time, that would be AMAZING for helping me to know if I have solved this issue completely (or at least discovered the specific portion causing problems)

I will see what I can do in that respect, but it's usually the AIs between turns that does it. I'll still see what I can do.

Top Bottom