Ffh Gotm?

Dogfax

Chieftain
Now I know that this would take alot of working out... but after Ice is finished and everything is running smoothly...does any one fancy making a FFH GOTM??

What's this Gotm you speak of?

Game of the month

I've not really looked at this in the past, but does someone actually play-test a world before uploading it?

Surely it's just a case of creating a world, saving it before making any moves, taking a screenshot and then posting these?

Perhaps start at Noble level, and then build the level up/down each month depending on feedback, and then occassionally changing the custom settings?

.... Sounds like a good idea.

We have a bloody good view of Erebus via FFH. and Gotm's could be a nice way of keep the tale deepening.

..... but with all the scenarios coming it would be in the "far furture".

exactly...in the future.. but it was just an idea to keep us on our toes after Kael is finally finished with FFH...

What's this Gotm you speak of?
Hummm... it is unfortunate that a thread is started without giving basic explanations... no one is supposed to know all the shortcuts used by civ-fanatics...;)

GOTM or Game Of The Month, is a game where the map has been prepared and heavily customized by someone (shape, land marks, resources, civs...) and is made available to teh community.
As a player, you only know who you are supposed to play, the difficulty, and the special settings (ex: wildland, barbarian cities, victory types...).
Of course, the map is locked for editing.
Participants download the initial map, and everyone starts with the same map. You have a deadline for submitting your result (a win or not) and you can compare your results with others.
BUT... there are constraints!!!
  • you may NOT reload a game!!! You may save, and you may start from where you saved, but you may NOT re-load even 1 minute or 1 turn before!!! Whatever you do, it is a linear play, no 2nd chance EVER!! No reload for trying to have a better result from a village, changing a decision, or recover a unit by undoing a loss (ex: when exploring...)
  • you may NOT replay a game!!! The 1st time you play it is the only time.
  • you may NOT share your information with others, until you reach the deadline for submitting the game...
Of course, temptation are HUGE for (just 1 time!... please... ...) pressing quick save/quick load, but doing this, even 1 tinme, cancel teh game.

On the main CIV board, the GOTM game is done along a little software that will control if your play is linear, with time stamps and other... It is pretty complex, and the folks receiving the saved games are now masters in detecting the cheaters, and there are many... too many...

the BIG problem I see is that it is "Officer and Gentleman" style, and you understand well that such a GOTM would be easily ruined by, say , a couple of cheaters.
Unfortunately, I do not think a GOTM would be interresting if there is ANY ranking.
If a GOTM map is done/created by the FFH team, it should be played for your own pleasure only. A thread can be created for collecting your thoughts after the battle, but in no way files should be sent, so then you just have a challenge with yourself, and your honesty
... believe me, staying honest with a GOTM is very very difficult ... almost like having the Calabim making a gentle garden party with the Elohim or Bannor...:devil:

JPRC makes some excellent points in his post. Sorry I didnt explain at the begining. Agreed, it would only be for a bit of fun, but it would help new people to see some of the ways to play FFH by following some of the players post on what/why they did what. And yes, it would just be for fun.. no ranking or ultra competive posts...... and anyone who cheats would be cheating themselves

I'd play, but I wouldn't worry about extra software. Post the rules, and have everyone play and tell their stories. No ranking. Just stories of what happened.

That way, you focus on the fun of it, and less on getting a top score which will make competitive people forced to play a silly version of the game just to win.

I'd prefer reading threads of other people's thoughts given the same set of basic circumstances.

Ah, sounds like Shatner who posts his hillarious stories playing as certain people in certain circumstances =D

-edit-
Ninja'ed ='(

wouldn't work because we have a number jump at least every 2 months, and a letter jump that breaks saves every week

"facepalm" um... i knew that

If a GotM is not feasible, I think that FFH would lend itself especially well to the "roleplaying challenge" style games that are done on the forums. For those unfamiliar, someone will basically come up with a set of conditions for game play based on roleplaying concepts. A game start may or may not be included.

For example, you might decide that you're playing the Clan as the emerging leader of all barbs. Settings might include barbarian world, raging barbs. Conditions for play might be that all non-barb cities must be razed rather than captured... but Conquest is disabled as a victory condition so you must also have some concern for empire building and establishing a barbarian "culture" and that means you're likely doomed to eventually face the "you've grown to civilized for us" rebellion from your fellow barbarians.

Shatner's recent examples of Bannor's berzerk crusade and Kuriotate polytheism play would be good examples for sets of self-imposed roleplay conditions as well.

This is a bad idea. Why? It'd hurt feelings. Think bout it.

Top Bottom