Firaxis at Pax East 2014 - Speculations?

Why are the mods still deleting it's public knowledge now.

Yeah, this looks awesome. Never played Alpha Centauri but will definitely pick this up.

I was almost positive they would be anouncing Civ 6, then yesterday it crossed my mind that since Alpha Centauri belongs to EA they could just announce a 'spiritual successor' which boils down to SMAC with the serial numbers filed off, but then I thought it unrealistic because it would mean that Firaxis has given up on the IP and surely they wouldn't do that.
Well, looks like they did. On the one hand I'm a little sad that a real Alpha Centauri 2 now seems even more unlikely, on the other hand I'm happy and hopeful that we might get a worthy SMAC sequel in all but name, and we all know what the first big mod project for this will be.
I'm a bit bummed that they seem to be using a modified Civ 5 engine though. Means we won't have true 3D terrain and it will be on a rather small scale, but that could change for the final product.

Yes, but it has to be set up by a site admininstrator. When it is set up, all of the Civ:BE discussion will be moved there.

Well, that's some egg on my face...

Don't feel too bad, everyone else having the conversation with you already knew what the game was! It leaked earlier. Mods here were just nuking all mention of it.

We weren't talking about a hypothetical AC2, we were talking about a *cough* "hypothetical" AC2. :lol:

Don't feel too bad, everyone else having the conversation with you already knew what the game was! It leaked earlier. Mods here were just nuking all mention of it.

We weren't talking about a hypothetical AC2, we were talking about a *cough* "hypothetical" AC2. :lol:

I knew it was a giant conspiracy...

To credit those who did correctly predict an AC2, the leak didn't happen until like 30 minutes before the reveal, so there were plenty of people predicting it without seeing the leak of it.

I did enjoy AC tremendously and I will enjoy this one as well. Probably it's for the better that it's a spiritual successor, because this allows them more freedom on designing things. Besides what Alpha Centauri without Brian Reynolds, it is his baby and it should remain his.

Let the new franchise emerge!

To credit those who did correctly predict an AC2, the leak didn't happen until like 30 minutes before the reveal, so there were plenty of people predicting it without seeing the leak of it.

Actually leak was available in the morning european time, so it was available for at least 8h before official announcement.

I do not envy civfanatics mods during that time. :)

Top Bottom