Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Celts

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Maya

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
I, hoping, and almost sure, am going to get Civ III complete very soon. (a very big upgrade from vanilla) I wanted to know which civilization was better to play as. I see soo many people in highscores with civs such as Maya and Aztecs, but i was thinking more along the lines as Ottomons, Vikings, Cartaginians, Celts, and perhaps Maya. I am new to the concepts of new government types and i need help deciding who i should play as, and who i should play against. Winning, my #1 priority after those decisions, is already done. I have already decided that conquest is the way for me.

Any suggestions? tips? hints?

All the above. ;)

There's clearly no best one. Though I find Carthaginians as one of the worst, personally.

i agree completly. i hate the carthaginians. i dont know why. it really depends on what your style is, what you like doing.etc.

so, seeing as both of you dislike Carthage, would you suggest them as my enemy?

let just say, i am playing as the Ottomans ( that is who i voted for since i like their UU, but ONLY because i think their UU is good )

Would say, Carthage, France, India, Greece, Japan, Sumer, Byzantine, Aztecs and maybe Portugal as my enemys?

Do you think that would be a fun, easy game for me to win?

well.yeah i guess that would work. lol.

just like the vanilla version..the expansion civs have a few that the AI just doesnt know how to play...even though they might be deadly in human player hands..i find any the bazentines to be almost a worthless AI enemy..but good to play as. koreas a good example of a civ that is almost always backwards as well.

I voted Celts but also think after a while you should play as Canada in the Balancer Reloaded Mod and then the Huns in the soon to be released Anno Domini mod.! Yes now that you will have the latest 'console' shall we say, you'll be able to run the best games you've expierenced since you picked up the pastime. THink of them as addition X paks

THink of them as additional X paks ontop of Conquests that play and feel like the original Conquest 'random epic' but are enhanced with more selection and flavour along the way. THis, makes for games that run smoother along the course of history! (fully Pedia supported of Course)

Edit: Crosspost with T.A JONES....

so, seeing as both of you dislike Carthage, would you suggest them as my enemy?

let just say, i am playing as the Ottomans ( that is who i voted for since i like their UU, but ONLY because i think their UU is good )

Would say, Carthage, France, India, Greece, Japan, Sumer, Byzantine, Aztecs and maybe Portugal as my enemys?

Do you think that would be a fun, easy game for me to win?
Yes, I think so. But pretty much any variant of enemies will be. :D Ottomans can be a very powerful civ, and it's one of the most used civs at high difficulties (from Demigod they become very powerful)

well.yeah i guess that would work. lol.

just like the vanilla version..the expansion civs have a few that the AI just doesnt know how to play...even though they might be deadly in human player hands..i find any the bazentines to be almost a worthless AI enemy..but good to play as. koreas a good example of a civ that is almost always backwards as well.

I agree entirely, I've never seen the Byzantines advanced in any game, but they are deadly in human player's hands. (on an Archipelago map, there's basically no better civ than them, IMHO)

Good luck with your first game. :goodjob: Keep us informed about how the game goes!

Good luck with your first game. :goodjob: Keep us informed about how the game goes!

will do. I think that T.A Jones is right, i think i got it down to 2 civs now, Celts, and Ottomans. maybe, make fate decide. I will make a normal map on editor, and make it so that i can only choose between 2 civs, celts and ottomans, and make it pick at random.

I probably will make a thread in story forum when i start. I will post when and if i get the complete packet here first. :)

Well, you should try all of them but I personally love the Celts. Their civ-specific unit (Gallic Sword) is one that you can swear by (instead of at) and their civ traits combine well.

There ya go!. Seeing your good taste prevails, mybe we can even get you into a Secret Celtic Society's Succession Game!. First we gota see about getting you the sacred seal ;) mine's sown on my skin so it stays close even in the shower :goodjob:

(im kidding bout all this btw. welcome to the club anyways)

I voted Ottomans, their traits give you an awesome advantage at the beginning, and they UU is pretty good too.

I would play with all of them, except Maya. I have recently gotten a grudge against the Maya in the game because of their starting location on a world map...

I would play with all of them, except Maya. I have recently gotten a grudge against the Maya in the game because of their starting location on a world map...

rolfcopter! :lol: This reminds me of why i hate Egypt the most, because it was my first game ever played, i had no clue what to do, i played as USA, against Egypt only, and i did horribly! I was behind by like 4 techs, and in no range to gain it back. I built like 2 knights, and thought that i could take a victory over another nation and when i failed, they sent over like 3 galleons full of knights and took like 5 of my total of 10 cities. I held a grudge and have never played as the Egyptians, and i play against them, i never let them last until the end of the game. I always kill them off.:D

plus, im an Ottomans fan too, although i still like the Celts and Vikings, it is a tight race, and im still lingering on what i will choose.

The vikings are incredibly fun on an arch map - nothing like building the lighthouse and sending out waves and waves of move 5 galleys with berserkers taking cities without being subject to counterattack...

I voted Celts and the Ottomans are very good too. However, one excellent choice which you didn't list was the C3C Iroquois. Their traits were changed to Agricultural and Commercial, and they play even better now than they did in vanilla.

@T.A. Jones: Ah, a Celtic club. I'll join, yeah. :D

@Taras Bulba: How can you abuse my beloved :egypt:? :joke:

@gmaharriet: I haven't played Iroquois since before I started playing Conquests. I should try one of these days. :b

I voted Ottomans, their traits give you an awesome advantage at the beginning, and they UU is pretty good too.

Hey I see Highland came stylin! sorry, I can't quote avatars, :) I did noticed you came bearing the seal and had ditched the spear dude though. I should have recognized your true colours. First clue is in the name I guess. (i know its "High road" but still can't resist thinking of that good ditty for some reason :( )

Cool coincidence is all I'm saying and ya, to comment on what makes or breaks a Civ in my book, I hate a Civ that keeps popping up in all my randoms over an over, like the Iroquois or Persia used to have a knack for. Since I started playin mods with them excluded, we have become alot better aquainted.

Note: I should probably attach this to my siggy but its only for those who are seeing it now... Man thats 3 or 4 edits in a row! thats a dismal new record ! In case any longstanding members have ever inquired why Im always tampering, it has to do with a Sacred Celtic grammer ritual thats emposed. First, I post the thing right away then press edit and try to fix the mess or add stuff before the grammer police can flag me!

Fun eh? No? well anyway, The dishonour associated with the constant tainting of content from degrading " last edited..." tags is suppose to act as encouragment for development of rock hard grammer technique. As you can see, its not working quite as well as Id like :D

rolfcopter! :lol: This reminds me of why i hate Egypt the most, because it was my first game ever played, i had no clue what to do, i played as USA, against Egypt only, and i did horribly! I was behind by like 4 techs, and in no range to gain it back. I built like 2 knights, and thought that i could take a victory over another nation and when i failed, they sent over like 3 galleons full of knights and took like 5 of my total of 10 cities.

Hey, 4 techs behind is not a great disadvantage. You can recover after being almost an era behind. :D But if you're playing 1 vs 1, yes, it's very hard to recover. :)

I voted Celts and the Ottomans are very good too. However, one excellent choice which you didn't list was the C3C Iroquois. Their traits were changed to Agricultural and Commercial, and they play even better now than they did in vanilla.

yeah, i have heard about how the iroquois are great in Conquests, but i kinda wanted to play only with the new civs that i am getting. I will play will iroquois maybe some other time, but i want my first to be with a conquest or ptw civ

Hey, 4 techs behind is not a great disadvantage. You can recover after being almost an era behind. :D But if you're playing 1 vs 1, yes, it's very hard to recover. :)

well, that is true, and if i played that game now, i might be able to turn it around, but it was quite some time ago, and i didn't even know how to upgrade science funding! i was losing like 20 gpt, so it wouldn't have hurt anything to increase it. oh well, i think it is a bit late to fix that game :lol:

I voted Carthaginians because I have never played them myself.

Top Bottom