going from gray to loaded texture maps on large map

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
Is this a thing? I have a pretty screaming machine but late game on a large map large portions of the map are gray and load on every turn.

I have an ATI videocard and recently downloaded the latest driver. It had 300meg of crap which really porked my machine. I've backed up to an earlier driver.

I usually play on a medium map and don't have this problem.

Does Nvidia make drivers that don't load a bunch of programs you DON'T WANT on your machine?

Nvidia also likes to add a load of features these days also, many of which can be useful depending on what you actually want/like.
You can always do a custom install (i would assume this option is also available with ATI drivers) to choose what features it installs in the first place or use 'msconfig' and look under the start up tab to choose what you want loaded from start up so you only load what you need at any time (should be checked regularly anyway to prevent loads of crap loading on start up).

I get that too, I believe it's an engine limiation so that the game doesn't overload the tiles individually.

It's rather annoying as it slows down when it actually loads.

I also suffer from this, though this issue comes and goes. Quite annoying. I heard that mods that decrease size of map and improvement textures help with it, though I usually play on standard-sized maps and never bothered to actually try it. If you are really bothered with it, wou may chack it out.

My laptop is definitely not screaming and I do get the grey textures that need to load sometimes but its never really a problem - that's on huge or large maps with 6-10 AI civs and 20 citystates.

More noticeable with huge rather than large of course.

Top Bottom