GOTM - do they work for you?

kjpg@ucla.edu

Chieftain
I downloaded GOTM 11, and attempted to join the fun. The file is recognised but then civ4 hangs when attempting to load it, and I force quit. (I waited a minute or so and didn't see the load screen appear). Is this typical? I am using civ4 1.61, iMac 2.0 ghz G5.

cheers,

Kevin

I did GOTM 9 and didn't have any problems. Other than the AI civs, at least. I haven't tried 11 yet, I ran a practice game with the same settings to prepare, but I haven't grabbed the game itself. I'll try it and let you know.

Welcome, :wavey:

Do you have any mods installed in CustomAssets, other than graphics like Blue Marble? I investigated a similar report by Lateralis, and it seems the Mac version is not correctly disabling CustomAssets mods, and tries to access some of the files when you run a game with locked assets, such as the GOTM start file.

You will need to remove mods from your CustomAssets in oder to play the GOTM file, it seems. I've reported this to Brad.

I'm getting my butt handed to me in GOTM 11 on a 15" Powerbook. Works fine with Blue Marble installed.

@Welnic- I hear you. Thought I could handle Contender instead of Adventurer for once. Thought wrong.

i can tell you that every GOTM i've done so far (the last 3) the load has been EXTREMELY long. so much so that I did think it was frozen but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and checked my email while it loaded (playing in a window). the next time i clicked into civ, it was loaded up just fine.

as long as you don't have anything in the customassests folder, it should load. i've taken to keeping 2 folders: a completely empty customAssets_GOTM and a modded customAssets_multimod and just renaming the one i need right before firing up civ 4. not pretty but it gets the job done.

bio_hazard: thanks for the heads up.

I've actually never had many of the problems that others have reported around here, except the black ice phenomenon (which isn't that big a deal). And, once I realized that I needed to keep a clean custom assets folder, I've had no problems with the GOTM.

I hope it is possible to bring the HoF mod over to mac in some way, shape, or form. What are the chief complications to doing so?

willpax said:
I hope it is possible to bring the HoF mod over to mac in some way, shape, or form. What are the chief complications to doing so?
It uses a custom dll created and compiled using the Windows SDK (Software Development Kit). Mods using such dlls simply don't work with the Mac version. There isn't a Mac SDK, so I have to work out how to emulate as many as possible of its functions in some other way. I'm currently poking about in PyObjC :eek:

I already have the Python and XML bits if it working OK, so most of the enhanced adviser screen stuff works. It's mainly the security and management features that will give me headaches. There's no chance of getting the MapFinder feature working, but that's only used for HoF.

Other than that, I have to ensure that it works well under Locked Assets conditions. The fact that GOTM start files get screwed up with CustomAssets makes me a little nervous about that, but let's be optimistic, eh?

now I want to be clear that I really enjoyed participating in the Mac GOTM for civ 3 back before we could even play the usual GOTM but dammit, I really LIKE being a part of the full GOTM now! while I understand all the reasons, that doesn't mean I have to like them.

:(

lateralis said:
while I understand all the reasons, that doesn't mean I have to like them.

:(
Sorry? All what reasons?

Firstly, it provides added security to the game...

In terms of game administration, it also greatly simplifies the process...

It will also remove the need for players to upload the .Civ4Replay file, and reduce the problems of determining final scores...

those reasons.

Sorry, I thought you might be referring to my list of complications related to the Mac version.

You haven't explained *why* you don't like the mod. I recommend you raise your concerns in the relevant GOTM thread for discussion there. I'm the only GOTM staffer who's likely to see them here, and I don't want to have a separate debate, unless they specifically relate to the Mac version.

sorry - what I don't like is the idea that mac users might get booted from GOTM if we can't get the mod working for us.

that's why I posted here and not over there. I use bits and peices of the HOF mod when I'm not in GOTM mode and like them. I'd love to have the HOF mod for mac, but i don't want to be booted from GOTM play because we don't have it.

Ahah! A pessimist. I did suggest we should try to be optimistic :p.

Thanks for the explanation, Alan. I wish you good luck and good work, which is about all that I and my "hello, world" level coding skills can offer.

AlanH- just out of curiosity, how many mac folks have played the last couple of GOTM's? Enough to have the staff delay the change until the HOF mod is in place? Or few enough that if the HOF mod isn't ready for GOTM12, that it wouldn't be too much of a burden for the staff to score our games?

lateralis said:
i can tell you that every GOTM i've done so far (the last 3) the load has been EXTREMELY long. so much so that I did think it was frozen but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and checked my email while it loaded (playing in a window). the next time i clicked into civ, it was loaded up just fine.
I wonder if this is due to some slight differences in the saves?

When Alan gets the Mac HOF mod version working, then you people will have a mac-generated starting save file to load, so hopefully it will solve these issues.

re: load speed on a mac... Loads are probably about 1min on my underspec powerbook. It is noticeably longer than SP games generated on my computer, but not long enough to bug me.

Top Bottom