Gran Colombia or Brazil

Which would you prefer?

• Gran Colombia

Votes: 66 44.0%
  • Brazil

Votes: 84 56.0%

• Total voters
How different is Portuguese from Spanish? They both came from Latin.
Is the distance like English and German? or Dutch and German?

Yes, probably more like Dutch and German (although I'm not sure how far is one from the other). A Portuguese speaker will understand a good deal of written Spanish, but have difficulties to understand it spoken, unless one speaks slowly.

However, look at your examples of the civs that should be included.

kinda like how the inca's greatest accomplishment was growing potatoes that were shipped all over the world after they were conquered.

of course, the aztec and inca are more than just people who were there, since they have a rich culture even today (especially the inca), but they couldn't influence the rest of the world very much. that doesn't mean they're not fun in the game, though.

kinda like how the inca's greatest accomplishment was growing potatoes that were shipped all over the world after they were conquered.

of course, the aztec and inca are more than just people who were there, since they have a rich culture even today (especially the inca), but they couldn't influence the rest of the world very much. that doesn't mean they're not fun in the game, though.

They're fine in the game, I was querying the suggestion that the empires chosen should be important - and then considering the Aztecs a more significant power than, for instance, Brazil. I doubt I'd find Brazil in the game especially interesting (though obviously it would depend what they did with it), but objectively it is already longer-lived than the Aztecs and has had far more regional influence over a wider area.

They're fine in the game, I was querying the suggestion that the empires chosen should be important - and then considering the Aztecs a more significant power than, for instance, Brazil. I doubt I'd find Brazil in the game especially interesting (though obviously it would depend what they did with it), but objectively it is already longer-lived than the Aztecs and has had far more regional influence over a wider area.

Aztecs,Iroquois and Incas have been in Civilization series since Civ3 at least . And like I said before,it's a moot point,because Aztecs isn't competing with Brazil for the 9th slot . And I doubt of your position of finding them boring,because you'd never know which UA and UU/UB/UI they would have if they won't be added .

Brazil

Trait
Amazone riches (production, gold and science from clearing a jungle or forest tile)

Unique building
Ethanol Power Plant: runs on sugar

Unique units
Fatherland Volunteer: cheaper Rifleman, no upkeep
Brazilian Marine: +1 movement when garrisoned, can build railroads

Brazil
Unique building
Ethanol Power Plant: runs on sugar

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Energy_Returned_on_Energy_Invested_-_USA.svg

Biofuels are probably the worst energy source ever devised by man!

Surely Brazil has some worthier buildings that might be noted.

Trait
Amazone riches (production, gold and science from clearing a jungle or forest tile)

I like the idea of connecting something to the presence of the vast Amazon rainforest; that would be a very interesting mechanic.

I might prefer that there be some sort of bonus related to the maintenance of the forest, though; after all, if you tear it down in 1600AD, then you never receive the medical and other rewards in the modern era in terms of medicine and other things.

This sort of thing interests me in the inclusion of Brazil quite a bit, though.

Brazilian UA, UB and/or UU have been discussed in another thread.

I think the UA shouldn't be related to the Amazon, I mean, most of the country is outside of it. I suggested somewhere else it could be: Carnaval - +1 Happiness for each city during peace time.

As for UU, there is no need to invent, we have many real options, the most likely being Bandeirantes, but could also include Jungle Infantry.

As for UB, it could be a Sambadrome. Biofuel is not a bad energy source. Mind you, Brazilian biofuel has a higher productivity than the American one, and it's a viable, environmentally friendly alternative to oil. It could serve not as a UB, but as a UI, giving production bonus to Wheat or Sugar tiles.

Aztecs,Iroquois and Incas have been in Civilization series since Civ3 at least . And like I said before,it's a moot point,because Aztecs isn't competing with Brazil for the 9th slot . And I doubt of your position of finding them boring,because you'd never know which UA and UU/UB/UI they would have if they won't be added .

As I say, gamewise they could well be interesting - I wouldn't have picked Austria as a choice of civ, though as a Great Power when the concept was developed and for some time afterwards, they have a reasonable case. but gamewise I'm intrigued by them (and love the leader screen background).

But any civ can be given any game mechanic - look at the Songhai, whose mechanic doesn't obviously reflect the real-world civilisation, but is interesting gamewise and has added a moderately obscure civ to the Civ pantheon. They could easily have been named after goodness knows how many other civs, from various parts of the world - and in their own region the Nigerian Oyo would probably be a more suitable representation for the same effect.

The reason people are discussing "what should be the next civ" is entirely because the names and backgrounds to particular civs interest them, not the game mechanics. You yourself mentioned in Brazil's favour elements of its native heritage, cultural diversity and slight differences from European cultures. None of that would be reflected mechanically if Brazil were in the game, but that doesn't prevent people wanting a Brazilian civ.

For me, Brazil is simply not a particularly interesting culture, any more than Austria is, and I wouldn't find Brazil as a society as interesting as, say, the Nabateans or the Champa - or indeed the Sumerians - even if they were given the most original ability in the game and became my favourite civ to play. My preference for civs to add to the game would be ones with a longer history or past civilisations with a particular cultural legacy, those which aren't especially well-known and, as a personal bias, particularly ones from Asia.

Hmm, for a Brazilian UU how about:

Sertanista (replaces Scout): Improved chance of getting 'population to settle in your city' results from Ancient Ruins. When encountering barbarians during the Brazilian turn, has a chance to make peaceful contact (i.e. barbarians will not attack the unit if peaceful contact is made).

These are real UU's.

The Amazone rainforest spans 5.5 million km2, admittedly in part outside Brazil, while Brazil has an area of 8.5 million km2.

I meant unique UUs. "Volunteers" or "marines" every country has had in history.

As for the Amazon, its region covers a bit over 1/3 of the Brazilian territory. Like I said, most of Brazil is outside of it. I live in Brazil and have never been even close to the Amazon.

Phil, as for the Sertanista, I hate when scouts get population. I like getting new technologies, lol. And I don't know, I think it wouldn't be a realistic UU, since Scouts are from 4000 BC, and Brazil, you know, appeared some time later than that, lol.

I meant unique UUs. "Volunteers" or "marines" every country has had in history.

As for the Amazon, its region covers a bit over 1/3 of the Brazilian territory. Like I said, most of Brazil is outside of it. I live in Brazil and have never been even close to the Amazon.

Phil, as for the Sertanista, I hate when scouts get population. I like getting new technologies, lol. And I don't know, I think it wouldn't be a realistic UU, since Scouts are from 4000 BC, and Brazil, you know, appeared some time later than that, lol.

I very rarely get new tech, but the extra pop is one of the better alternatives, and does make sense for the sertanista (a type of Brazilian explorer-ethnographer whose original job was to make contact with native populations and integrate them into Brazilian society).

Yes, I'd have favoured an Explorer unit to replace, but we don't have one of those in Civ V. Plus a late-game unit wouldn't come across many ruins.

The reason people are discussing "what should be the next civ" is entirely because the names and backgrounds to particular civs interest them, not the game mechanics. You yourself mentioned in Brazil's favour elements of its native heritage, cultural diversity and slight differences from European cultures. None of that would be reflected mechanically if Brazil were in the game, but that doesn't prevent people wanting a Brazilian civ.

The Cultural diversity might reflect on the choose of the UA or even on the choose of an UB,but history has more influence than culture on the choose of the UA .

For me, Brazil is simply not a particularly interesting culture, any more than Austria is, and I wouldn't find Brazil as a society as interesting as, say, the Nabateans or the Champa - or indeed the Sumerians - even if they were given the most original ability in the game and became my favourite civ to play. My preference for civs to add to the game would be ones with a longer history or past civilisations with a particular cultural legacy, those which aren't especially well-known and, as a personal bias, particularly ones from Asia.

But these civs were already added in Civ series . Since there are only 2 civilization in G&K which have never been officially represented in any game of the Civ series before(Austria and Huns),I suppose the 9th Civ must fall in the same category . Brazil seems to be a very known Civilization,but I can assure you that you more about Ancient Civilizations' history than Brazil's history . But that's not my only civilization I bet it'd be the last one . My another bet is Majapahit,which seems to be a very interesting choice as well .

Amazon covers 61% of the brazilian territory I think.

The brazilian UA could be something like "Tropical riches" instead of "Amazon riches" it would expand the concept of it. They should relate it to bonus for tropical resources.

But these civs were already added in Civ series . Since there are only 2 civilization in G&K which have never been officially represented in any game of the Civ series before(Austria and Huns),I suppose the 9th Civ must fall in the same category . Brazil seems to be a very known Civilization,but I can assure you that you more about Ancient Civilizations' history than Brazil's history . But that's not my only civilization I bet it'd be the last one . My another bet is Majapahit,which seems to be a very interesting choice as well .

There's still one plausible choice that was in Civ IV but missing from Civ V (excluding Portugal, as Lisbon is a CS): Sumer. I doubt it because it overlaps heavily with Babylon. The Hittites were in Civ III, and are the only civ (other than the Zulus and Portuguese) that was in that game but is so far missing from both Civ 4 and Civ 5 (except for the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario), so they're another possible option.

There are many historical civs that haven't been in Civ V, including many from Asia - SE Asia in particular is a culturally very rich area that has only been represented twice in Civ games - by the Khmer in Civ IV and Siam in Civ V.

Amazon covers 61% of the brazilian territory I think.

The brazilian UA could be something like "Tropical riches" instead of "Amazon riches" it would expand the concept of it. They should relate it to bonus for tropical resources.

61% is the area of all states that have at least a part of its territory in the Amazon, that's why.

But yeah, this UA would be better, I guess.

I think this UA would fit better for Brazil,because it's based on their history rather than their territory :

Unique Ability: Ordem e Progresso. Culture and Faith generation increased during Golden Ages and less penalties for Unhappiness (like no loss of GA points and less penalties on strength of units)

What do you think?

Not sure. Their Golden Age is just about to begin, and it's hard to say what it will bring.

if so,then it might be better to replace the Golden Age bonus for a boost on "We love the King day" events,like doubling their duration or having a culture/faith boost during them .

Top Bottom