Gran Colombia or Brazil

Which would you prefer?

• Gran Colombia

Votes: 66 44.0%
  • Brazil

Votes: 84 56.0%

• Total voters
That's why my suggestion of UA was more related to it being peaceful, giving a happiness bonus.

What do you think?

I think that is a great UA. But this would be completely understandable only by someone which knows the brazilian history. The "Tropical" term is much more related to Brazil under the eyes of a non-brazilian instead of "Ordem e Progresso". But I would enjoy to see it as the brazilian UA too.

Brazil's UA should involve sugar and oil. Sugar because it was the most important thing they exported when colony and now they use it as a source of energy (to produce diesel), and oil because recently they have found oil in ocean ( pré-sal ). Somehow this UA shows their history and why it's a relevant nation nowadays.

That's why my suggestion of UA was more related to it being peaceful, giving a happiness bonus.

The decreased penalties for unhapiness is mainly based on the numerous but unsucessful attempts to separate from the Brazilian empire that happened between 1822-1889 . From the 14 attempts to separate from Brazil,only one of them had sucess(The Cisplatine War,which leads to the Independence of Uruguay,which separates from Brazil) . Besides,there were many rebellions as well,that happened during 190 years of Brazil's history . Most of the suggestions I've seen about Brazil's UA always forgets their history .

I think that is a great UA. But this would be completely understandable only by someone which knows the brazilian history. The "Tropical" term is much more related to Brazil under the eyes of a non-brazilian instead of "Ordem e Progresso". But I would enjoy to see it as the brazilian UA too.

That's the idea . When they read the Civilopedia about Brazil's history,they will understand this bonus and understand the name of it and they'll appreciate Brazil's history as much as they appreciate the history of others civilizations .

The decreased penalties for unhapiness is mainly based on the numerous but unsucessful attempts to separate from the Brazilian empire that happened between 1822-1889 . From the 14 attempts to separate from Brazil,only one of them had sucess(The Cisplatine War,which leads to the Independence of Uruguay,which separates from Brazil) . Besides,there were many rebellions as well,that happened during 190 years of Brazil's history . Most of the suggestions I've seen about Brazil's UA always forgets their history .

I meant more about international conflicts, Brazil seldom got involved in those, choosing diplomacy over war. That's why I think it should be related to how peaceful it is, giving a happiness bonus. In fact, here's a curiosity, Brazil has never declared war to any country. It has always declared a "state of hostilities'. Just semantics, but it's interesting.

The UA could be related to religion too. Afterall, Brazil is the biggest catholic and evangelic country in the world. Theres churches and temples everywhere.

Another option is a UA with bonus on food or somekind of gold bonus related to food to represent the "agrobusiness". Brazil is the top exporter of inumerous agriculture commodities.

UU: Bandeirantes, Dragoes da Independencia ou Jesuitas.

Culture and Faith generation increased 50% during Golden Ages and less penalties for Unhappiness (like no loss of GA points and less penalties on strength of units)

I really like the GenjiKhan's suggestion, here is why:

-It really changes the gameplay. The only Golden Age related UA, currently, is the Persia's one, which gives your units a combat and movement bonus and your Golden Ages a greater duration. It's nice because you have to strive for Golden Ages, so you'll have to manage your population and great persons and plan your buildings, wonders and policies more carefully. Plantation or Tile related bonus are just plain and boring.

-As GenjiKhan explained once, the Golden Age bonus to Culture and Religion could be connected with the "Brazilian Gold Rush" (think of Minas and all those Baroque Churches and statues). The "Rubber Boom" (think of Manaus and Belém, the Teatro Amazonas etc.) is another example. The Modern Art Week in 1922 and the Coffee, another example. I'd say Brazil had several "Golden Ages", and to represent this through its cultural meaning instead of jungles and plantations is a creative and interesting way, to say the least.

I meant more about international conflicts, Brazil seldom got involved in those, choosing diplomacy over war. That's why I think it should be related to how peaceful it is, giving a happiness bonus. In fact, here's a curiosity, Brazil has never declared war to any country. It has always declared a "state of hostilities'. Just semantics, but it's interesting.

The problem with such choice of UA is that it would be easily useless if your neighbor happens to be hostile . And in Multiplayer's game,it happens to be even worse . Such kind of UA which depends on the good will of the players should haven't even consider to be an option of UA .

The UA could be related to religion too. Afterall, Brazil is the biggest catholic and evangelic country in the world. Theres churches and temples everywhere.

Another option is a UA with bonus on food or somekind of gold bonus related to food to represent the "agrobusiness". Brazil is the top exporter of inumerous agriculture commodities.

UU: Bandeirantes, Dragoes da Independencia ou Jesuitas.

The thing about religion is not true. I mean, it may have the largest Catholic community, but Brazilians are not veeery religious. Other Latin Americans are much more. And there are more evangelical Christians in the US. By far.

Oh, and jesuits "worked" in many places, not only Brazil.

The problem with such choice of UA is that it would be easily useless if your neighbor happens to be hostile . And in Multiplayer's game,it happens to be even worse . Such kind of UA which depends on the good will of the players should haven't even consider to be an option of UA .

Well, tough luck. Many UAs are useless after some time, or completely useless depending how you play. That's why they give the game a different dynamic. Someone playing with Brazil would have to seek to avoid war to continue with the bonus.

One thing that could work with religion though, is an added bonus for every new religion inside the Empire. We don't know how religion will exactly work in the game, but that could be a good UA for Brazil.

Well, tough luck. Many UAs are useless after some time, or completely useless depending how you play. That's why they give the game a different dynamic. Someone playing with Brazil would have to seek to avoid war to continue with the bonus.

On Highers levels and Multiplayer games,it's almost impossible to avoid an declaration of war by another Civilization(unless you build an empire impossible to conquest until Modern Era) . But if you do this,the bonus is useless,because you can't expand . If you expand,you can't build an impenetrable empire and other players will dow you,so it'll remain useless .

One thing that could work with religion though, is an added bonus for every new religion inside the Empire. We don't know how religion will exactly work in the game, but that could be a good UA for Brazil.

Culture/Faith bonus either during Golden ages or during "We love the King day" would fit better and Liex have already explained why . But if you mean something about "Religion Spreading",then I think a faster religion spreading might be a good complement on the weak Arabia's UA .

The thing about religion is not true. I mean, it may have the largest Catholic community, but Brazilians are not veeery religious. Other Latin Americans are much more. And there are more evangelical Christians in the US. By far.

Are you kidding me? Faith is a huge deal on Brazil, as I said theres churches everywhere and millions of people live for their religion. About the evangelics, I will try to find a source for make my point more solid.
I think you are mistaken what most foreigners think about Brazil (carnaval and sex liberty) with what Brazil really is. I know that the Company of Jesus worked on lots of places, bur they were especially active on Brazil. Jesuitas would be a nice replacement for a generic missionary unit.

But, I would prefer a UA related to food and trade.

I'm not going to get into a debate about Brazil and religion since I know very little about it, but giving it a Jesuit UU would be absurd considering how active Jesuits are in so many different Catholic communities throughout the world. There are 28 Jesuit colleges & universities in the U.S. alone, and many of them are very well respected universities. Besides the U.S., the Jesuits have done missions and are active throughout Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Africa, and I don't believe there is any evidence that they are "especially active in Brazil," at least any more active in Brazil than in any other region.

Ok, I dont think this is worth fighting for. I let go the jesuits option.

Also, Radu is right, US have a larger evangelic pop.

I'm not going to get into a debate about Brazil and religion since I know very little about it, but giving it a Jesuit UU would be absurd considering how active Jesuits are in so many different Catholic communities throughout the world. There are 28 Jesuit colleges & universities in the U.S. alone, and many of them are very well respected universities. Besides the U.S., the Jesuits have done missions and are active throughout Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Africa, and I don't believe there is any evidence that they are "especially active in Brazil," at least any more active in Brazil than in any other region.

Agreed . Jesuits weren't more important in Brazil than in others countries . I think the Independence Dragoons would fit better for UU:

Unique Unit: Independence Dragoons. Replaces Lancers. Doesn't have defense penalties, unlike Lancers, but is weaker. Cost 220. Strength 20. Movement 4.

i just hope the brazilian units wear fruit hats and move in conga lines

Link to video.

They're fine in the game, I was querying the suggestion that the empires chosen should be important - and then considering the Aztecs a more significant power than, for instance, Brazil. I doubt I'd find Brazil in the game especially interesting (though obviously it would depend what they did with it), but objectively it is already longer-lived than the Aztecs and has had far more regional influence over a wider area.
i was adding to what you said, not disagreeing with it.

On Highers levels and Multiplayer games,it's almost impossible to avoid an declaration of war by another Civilization(unless you build an empire impossible to conquest until Modern Era) . But if you do this,the bonus is useless,because you can't expand . If you expand,you can't build an impenetrable empire and other players will dow you,so it'll remain useless .

Culture/Faith bonus either during Golden ages or during "We love the King day" would fit better and Liex have already explained why . But if you mean something about "Religion Spreading",then I think a faster religion spreading might be a good complement on the weak Arabia's UA .

Regardless, I don't think this idea of Golden Ages is realistic, because I don't see a relation to Brazil.

i just hope the brazilian units wear fruit hats and move in conga lines

Awesome,
Im Brazilian and I could give you tons of historical reasons why my country should be included in the game. But all of them have the same principle: Nationalism.
Fruit Hats? Conga lines? Seriously. Honestly, I didnt like to read this. But I might even agree with your 'supposedly funny' suggestion, but just as long as Americans units lose all their line of sight, since most of you cant see beyond their own navel.

Awesome,
Im Brazilian and I could give you tons of historical reasons why my country should be included in the game. But all of them have the same principle: Nationalism.
Fruit Hats? Conga lines? Seriously. Honestly, I didnt like to read this. But I might even agree with your 'supposedly funny' suggestion, but just as long as Americans units lose all their line of sight, since most of you cant see beyond their own navel.

Calm down, the joke in that is that AMERICANS think of conga lines and fruit hats when they think of Brasil, not a joke about Brazillians for real. The joke is Americans think of Carnival and know nothing else.

Top Bottom