[GRAPHICS] Blue Marble for Colonization

ColdFever

blue
This program allows the installation of a new graphic design for Sid Meier's CivIV Colonization™, based on images of the NASA project Blue Marble, supplemented with a graphically modernized and harmonized user interface. Individual components are selectable in the setup program.
Homepage and Download: http://www.civfanatics.net/bluemarble
German Mirror: http://www.civilized.de/www/content/index.php?cat=civ4_bluemarble

Desired/Undesired components can be enabled/disabled during installation via options:
Terrains: BlueMarble textures of the earth
Themes: BlueMarble fonts and mouse cursors
Backgrounds: BlueMarble backgrounds (loading screens, advisors, civilopedia)
Leaderheads: BlueMarble leaderheads (color adapted and "aged")

history:
2008-09-23: V1.00 - initial release
2008-09-26: V1.50 - new wood interface, improved deserts, plains, greens, trees

terrain screenshots:

comparison screenshot:

Hey, is it possible to use Colonization main game interface in a BtS?

The new terrain looks good to me, guess I will try it. But the original background for the Continental Congress ist looking way better then the metallic new one and the original fits much more into the time span of the game. Just my 2ct.

Noob question here, will these mods work w/ the game purchased on Steam?
Sorry, I cannot tell. I do not purchase games via Steam, so I cannot test these versions. My mod has been tested with the DVD version. I am confident in your case, but if the mod installer does not find your Steam game via the regular registry entries: try placing the mod installer into the program directory where "Colonization.exe" is located.

The new terrain looks good to me, guess I will try it. But the original background for the Continental Congress is looking way better then the metallic new one and the original fits much more into the time span of the game. Just my 2ct.
No problem. To disable this part of the mod, just disable the option "Backgrounds" in the installer. For myself I did not like the original "Old Wood" design so much, because it looks old like coming from a museum - while during the time of the game this wood has been brand new. The "Colonization" times were revolutionary, fresh times, and as a player I'd like to experience this. For this reason the metallic interface tries something completely new: applying modern knowledge (NASA satellite maps) on old tin art, trying to generate a kind of "Tin Platter" experience.

No problem. To disable this part of the mod, just disable the option "Backgrounds" in the installer. For myself I did not like the original "Old Wood" design so much, because it looks old like coming from a museum - while during the time of the game this wood has been brand new. The "Colonization" times were revolutionary, fresh times, and as a player I'd like to experience this. For this reason the metallic interface tries something completely new: applying modern knowledge (NASA satellite maps) on old tin art, trying to generate a kind of "Tin Platter" experience.

No need to defend your opinion (with weak aguments btw. :D). I dont change my mind, just becouse I know what you where trying to do. To me metallic plates based on sattelite maps will not fit - no way for them to find into my game. But I bet, many fanatis here will love your metallic looking backgrounds. I don't. Anyway, keep up this good work. :)

If my weak personal arguments won't do, how about a historic argument for Metal as background as alternative for Wood in a Colonization game: During the Colonization period - how many people have been killed with wood weapons, how many people have been killed with steel weapons? I cannot recommend the following book enough. It even has been used by Soren Johnson for the development of CivIV:

Guns-Germs-Steel
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393061310

Both Wood and Steel have been essential for the Colonization era.
So I guess it comes down to personal preference again.

I agree with Henry, the wooden background feels more "Colonization" - Let's chop some wood and build up a colony :)

I agree with Henry, the wooden background feels more "Colonization".
Hmmm, if this would become general consensus perhaps I should drop the Steel/Silver/Tin design for Colonization. But first I will gather some more feedback from people who actually haved played the game and had the chance to compare both versions. In the meantime I can look for some wood textures. At least I would want modern wood, not museum wood.

Hmmm, if this would become general consensus perhaps I should drop the Steel/Silver/Tin design for Colonization. But first I will gather some more feedback from people who actually haved played the game and had the chance to compare both versions. In the meantime I can look for some wood textures. At least I would want modern wood, not museum wood.

I'll give it a shot tonight. Looks very interesting.

Noob question here, will these mods work w/ the game purchased on Steam?

Yes, mods do work with the Steam version (AoDII was developed on a Steam version). The only diff between a digital version and the DVD version is instead of checking the disk, it checks with Steam.

I installed only the terrain textures and the leader heads (i dunno what those change, really.)

just putting my two cents in.

oh that's cool!

you're a really talented guy, great work!

i must have installed it wrong, but the game interface is now the one you've made, but all the other backgrounds and such stayed the same. I must say, after playing it for a while I DO prefer your style. :D

If my weak personal arguments won't do, how about a historic argument for Metal as background as alternative for Wood in a Colonization game: During the Colonization period - how many people have been killed with wood weapons, how many people have been killed with steel weapons?

Why does it got to be about death? ;)

Seriously, think of it this way: colonists travelled to the new world on wooden boats, not metal ones. When they landed, they built houses out of wood. Sure, metal predominated their weapons, but wood predominated their lives. That's why I think it's a more contemporary option for the game.

EDIT: Agree the wood should look fresh (although rough-hewn), not old and museum quality.

Ok - after all the feedback I really tried all day to create a wood look I would prefer over the Silver/Steel/Tin look. I tried all kinds of woods: bright woods, dark woods, colorful woods, less colorful woods, new woods, old woods, more or less maser - but so far not with convincing results. Being a musician, wood even is my favorite material in daily life - I really love its structure and warmth. But so far my texturing results for Colonization are not good enough:

Always when the wood itself looks great and realistic, it detracts from the game. But choosing a look that is less great and realistic appears not advantageous enough to me over the Firaxis solution. So currently I think that it should stay as it is: who prefers the look of wood can keep the Firaxis version, who prefers the look of Silver/Steel/Tin can use the current BM backgrounds. I always will release only what I like best, and so far I prefer the metal background with the unmodded wooden/paper elements of Firaxis on it. Please check yourself too - you can always uninstall the metal backgrounds with two simple clicks in the Blue Marble installer.

Top Bottom