Great Recession of 2020

Sure, but I'm more questioning why anyone thinks the economy won't just keep contracting next year.

Serious ?

If you go subsector by subsector through what makes them tick and what the special plus/minus is from Covid, what the influence is of the general free disposable income, what the influence is of more specific income groups... what disposable money goes to saving accounts... etc, etc... just a big excel table and taking your time... have the economical GVA weight per line and GVA per FTE.... you get a long way in understanding what matters.

Your Agency of Statistics should have done that already and published at sector granularity like construction, housing decoration-furniture etc, health care, several kinds of hospitalty. etc etc etc
And employer associations per sector will have done that as well for their members.

A lot of sectors are hardly influenced.
Some sectors grow as well

The answer of BJ is the rough one I use as well when talking in soundbytes

And do mind... lots of people have no loss of income and spend less... lots of government money poored also to the people increasing spending power.

There is always risk; it is just that risk can vary both over time and situation. In the recent past US government CDs, Treasuries, and other bonds were mostly safe and would produce a modest 3-5% return over time without risk to the capital.
Yeah, I remember. But it's interesting that we were used to being able to get 'safe' returns that were greater than the actual nominal growth rate of the economy. It was part of the trickle-up, and the average capital-holder was able to get in on the action for a little while. Collecting more on your capital than the people actually risking theirs to grow the economy. The calculations on returns were always tough when comparing to inflation, because we're progressively taxed on the nominal return. If I got 5%, I keep 3% of which 2% was eaten by inflation, for example.

From the other side, this is why we thought of government debt as being a drag on the economy, since we imagined that we were paying more for it than we were getting back in average growth. This is variant of my criticsm of Trump's economy, where he was running deficits that were higher than growth in order to speed up the trickle up effect.

Serious ?

It is a serious statement.

Where is the touted V-shaped recovery?

Why is Europe going into a second lockdown (does anyone pretend it won't, by now?), and still no one shows any signs of having learned from the failure of the first? Namely, that the purpose of a lockdown should not be to "manage" the virus but to get rid of it.

Why is the staff of the WHO, who was wrong on the impact of covid, wrong on recommending people not to wear masks, wrong on now closing borders and air traffic to slow spread, still holding their jobs and supposedly being taken seriously by the governments of Europe?

We're ruled by fools. Or worse than fools. Based on their recent past performance and the fact that they remain in place I hold ho hope of seeing any recovery soon.

Yeah, I remember. But it's interesting that we were used to being able to get 'safe' returns that were greater than the actual nominal growth rate of the economy. It was part of the trickle-up, and the average capital-holder was able to get in on the action for a little while.
that is a good and interesting point.

Yeah, I remember. But it's interesting that we were used to being able to get 'safe' returns that were greater than the actual nominal growth rate of the economy. It was part of the trickle-up, and the average capital-holder was able to get in on the action for a little while. Collecting more on your capital than the people actually risking theirs to grow the economy. The calculations on returns were always tough when comparing to inflation, because we're progressively taxed on the nominal return. If I got 5%, I keep 3% of which 2% was eaten by inflation, for example.

From the other side, this is why we thought of government debt as being a drag on the economy, since we imagined that we were paying more for it than we were getting back in average growth. This is variant of my criticsm of Trump's economy, where he was running deficits that were higher than growth in order to speed up the trickle up effect.
The growth in GDP is an aggregate number tied to economic activity across the whole economy. it is unrelated to the rate of return on any specific investment opportunity. You appear to be saying that the growth of GDP should be some kind of cap on investment returns. 70%+ of GDP is tied to consumer spending, why should that be tied to rates on bonds of any sort? The time value of money is its own thing that changes day to day and month to month etc.

For the 60 years before the great recession the rates on 10 year treasuries were between 4 and 15% with an average around 6%. Of course those rates are also set by the Fed to drive (up or down) economic activity.

The growth in GDP is an aggregate number tied to economic activity across the whole economy. it is unrelated to the rate of return on any specific investment opportunity. You appear to be saying that the growth of GDP should be some kind of cap on investment returns. 70%+ of GDP is tied to consumer spending, why should that be tied to rates on bonds of any sort? The time value of money is its own thing that changes day to day and month to month etc.

For the 60 years before the great recession the rates on 10 year treasuries were between 4 and 15% with an average around 6%. Of course those rates are also set by the Fed to drive (up or down) economic activity.

What he's saying is that if people with investments can earn higher rates of return than the rate of GDP growth, then you get increasing inequality over time even if you don't change anything (ie, redistribute wealth through any other policy). I think that's his point anyway.

What he's saying is that if people with investments can earn higher rates of return than the rate of GDP growth, then you get increasing inequality over time even if you don't change anything (ie, redistribute wealth through any other policy). I think that's his point anyway.
Why should the rate of GDP growth be a limit on investment return? They are not related. Should people without investments be limited to pay raises no more than GDP? If inflation increases GDP, should that affect investment returns directly? Why should a return on Apple stock be tied to GDP?

GDP is a backward looking measure. Investments like stocks are forward looking and anticipatory of future events. Bonds are a balance against the risk of other investments. Using GDP as the guide for investment returns is like driving a car and only looking at the rear view mirror.

Why should the rate of GDP growth be a limit on investment return? They are not related. Should people without investments be limited to pay raises no more than GDP? If inflation increases GDP, should that affect investment returns directly? Why should a return on Apple stock be tied to GDP?

GDP is a backward looking measure. Investments like stocks are forward looking and anticipatory of future events. Bonds are a balance against the risk of other investments. Using GDP as the guide for investment returns is like driving a car and only looking at the rear view mirror.

You're once again confusing macro with micro, I think, and kinda missing the point. I don't think El_Machinae is arguing that investment income should be tied to GDP, just that if the general ROI is higher than GDP growth it's indicative of a problem.

You're once again confusing macro with micro, I think, and kinda missing the point. I don't think El_Machinae is arguing that investment income should be tied to GDP, just that if the general ROI is higher than GDP growth it's indicative of a problem.
Apples are redder than oranges, so what? I don't think that GDP rates being lower than broad market rates of return indicates any such thing. Maybe he will explain his position later. GDP is a very complex thing. Individual investments are much less so. I do not see any underlying connections that indicate that the relationship shows a problem. Wealth accumulation is its own problem. It can be solved independent of GDP. I guess we wait.

It’s more like, if someone’s portfolio is growing faster than the average, then their share of the pie is increasing.

But stock values increasing is not the same as money supply, so even if your share is growing it doesn’t literally have to come from the transfer of someone’s wealth to you.

Why should the rate of GDP growth be a limit on investment return?
There is no 'should', just pointing out that people got spoiled. Government's benefit from a growing economy by having a larger tax base. If a 'safe' investment (i.e., government bonds) generates greater growth that the average of the growth rate, it means that the bond-holder is benefiting more than the people's whose government borrowed on their behalf. The GDP growth rate is the sum of the 'success' (if we're measuring it that way). The average growth rate is the sum of all entrepreneurial efforts, so it's the average of all the successes of a country. People wanting a 'safe' investment that above average in returns is a type of taking-things-for-granted.

Quite simply, liken it to company that's growing at 3% but issues bonds at 5%. You know that such a deal cannot last forever, so being one of the early bond-issuers and getting paid (but then getting out) is the game-winning move. The next generation of bond-buyers can't get those returns, and if they want returns they need to do what the rest of economy does - take risks.

Expecting a risk-free rate greater than the growth rate means that the capital is being siphoned out.

On riskier investments, we expect some to generate higher than the average (thus creating the average). But safe investments generating higher than the average means that there's something wonky going on.

There is no 'should', just pointing out that people got spoiled. Government's benefit from a growing economy by having a larger tax base. If a 'safe' investment (i.e., government bonds) generates greater growth that the average of the growth rate, it means that the bond-holder is benefiting more than the people's whose government borrowed on their behalf. The GDP growth rate is the sum of the 'success' (if we're measuring it that way). The average growth rate is the sum of all entrepreneurial efforts, so it's the average of all the successes of a country. People wanting a 'safe' investment that above average in returns is a type of taking-things-for-granted.
You can't compare the impact of a 3% rise in GDP to a 5% bond rate. The impact of a rise in GDP has very broad implications and impacts. It could mean more jobs, better highways, benefits that are spread all across the population. That is what government is supposed to do. Bond rates reward savings and providing the government with funds to do things.
GDP is used (rightly or wrongly) as a measure of economic success in the past. It says "this is what we all have done" (government and private enterprise together). There is no relationship between that and what it takes to motivate a person to buy a bond.

Quite simply, liken it to company that's growing at 3% but issues bonds at 5%. You know that such a deal cannot last forever, so being one of the early bond-issuers and getting paid (but then getting out) is the game-winning move. The next generation of bond-buyers can't get those returns, and if they want returns they need to do what the rest of economy does - take risks.
GDP is not money, it is a measure of transactions of activity. Interest rates are a measure of money, cash mostly. Growth in yesterday's volume of economic activity is not related to the future demand for accumulating savings.

Expecting a risk-free rate greater than the growth rate means that the capital is being siphoned out.
Governments should minimize the risks of the people who invest their savings in it. The government is not the stock market. It usually pays the lowest returns and has the safest places to put one's money. That is its job.

On riskier investments, we expect some to generate higher than the average (thus creating the average). But safe investments generating higher than the average means that there's something wonky going on.
A company that is growing at 3% is revealing its history: old news. A company that issues bonds (at whatever rate) is looking forward to the future. It sets the rate based on the market and what will attract buyers. It's 3% growth (in Net income?) is a net number connected to lots of things and easily manipulated or driven by past events. NI does not represent its potential. A balance sheet might be better for that. Why couldn't a company growing at 3% issues bonds at 5% every year for many years? The 3% NI growth might easily provide all the cash it needs to pay 5% interest on bonds. Typically bonds are issued to finance asset growth and the growth in assets is to grow the company's profits.

You seem to be saying that the problem is that risklessness of government bonds is the problem and such free money a bad thing. Well we have seen in the past decade it is not riskless. Feel free to collect your 70 basis points every year. Bond markets do tend to be steady but they are not flat. The 4% floor we've seen until 2009 is now gone and those folks who were counting on that 4%, got screwed. You should be quite happy now. The only people smiling are those holding 30 bonds from 2005. :)[/quote]

It’s more like, if someone’s portfolio is growing faster than the average, then their share of the pie is increasing.

But stock values increasing is not the same as money supply, so even if your share is growing it doesn’t literally have to come from the transfer of someone’s wealth to you.
Yes, prosperity is not a zero sum game. Often it looks that way because it is harder for poorer people to become wealthy than it is for the rich to get richer. Apple stock went up today and I am now $400 richer than I was this this morning. Tomorrow that will change. In neither case is anyone else's wealth affected.

Pretty good article on the US economy in the past decade.

The Verdict on Trump’s Economy, Before the Coronavirus and After

Covid dashed growth and a job market that had lifted many people

BY JON HILSENRATH

Donald Trump has presided over two economies during his time in office. In the first, which lasted until March, the economy reached historic milestones for jobs, income and stock prices. While it’s debatable whether it was the best U.S. economy ever, as the president has said, it was without question good and getting better for millions of Americans. The second part, which arrived with Covid-19, was historically bad. It sent unem- ployment to depths unseen in post-Depression records before reversing itself quickly but only partially, leaving the U.S. with an outlook that’s especially hard to forecast.

The two economies will be factors driving the choices voters make in November. The reality for Mr. Trump: Many achievements of his first economy have been wiped out by the second. The president’s economic record never fully fit the black and white story told by either his ardent fans or his furious foes. His detractors said his tax policies catered to the rich, yet poverty and inequality fell. Minorities were big beneficiaries during his first three years, though they have also been big casualties in the past seven months. His backers note that the growth rate accelerated as Mr. Trump said it would, but it didn’t speed up as much or in the ways he projected. Bluecollar towns reaped some of the revival his trade policy aimed for, but that revival was far from complete when it was set back by the pandemic.

A lesson that became clear after a health crisis knocked the economy off the rails: One of the best ways to advance broad-based prosperity is to keep an expansion going. Good things tend to happen, especially to those typically left behind, in the late stages of long expansions. The one that ended in March was the longest recorded in U.S. history, an accomplishment Mr. Trump shared with his predecessor, Barack Obama.

Mr. Trump received higher marks on dealing with the economy than Joe Biden in a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll after their Sept. 29 debate and in general has outpolled his rival on this issue. In addition, a Gallup survey in September found 56% of Americans said they were better off than four years ago, higher than Ronald Reagan or Barack Obama polled the years they were re-elected. However, in the same poll, Mr. Trump received lower marks than Mr. Biden for being able to deal with the coronavirus crisis that hurt the economy.

Here are five takeaways from the Trump economies that led to this point.

Jobs
A few weeks after Mr. Trump was elected in 2016, Federal Reserve officials gathered to update their outlook and interest-rate plans. The consensus at the Fed and among many forecasters was that the unemployment rate, then 4.7%, would level out around 4.5% and sit there for the foreseeable future. Instead, by the end of 2019 it had fallen to 3.5%. The pace of job growth had been projected to slow and it did, but less so than many economists expected. It averaged 2.6 million jobs a year during Mr. Obama’s second term and 2.2 million a year in Mr. Trump’s first three years.

One thing driving the jobless rate lower was a fiscal boost in 2017 and 2018, first from corporate and individual income-tax cuts and then from a February 2018 bill that reset spending caps Republicans demanded in the Obama era.
“I remember thinking at the time that the last thing the economy needed was a substantial tax cut and fiscal boost,” said Janet Yellen, who led the Fed early in Mr. Trump’s term. The worry was the economy might overheat and spur inflation. Instead, inflation rose to the Fed’s 2% target in 2018, then receded.

Low unemployment produced cascading benefits. Wage growth accelerated, and opportunities for low-skilled workers grew. People with disabilities or criminal records, for the first time in years, found themselves sought after for work. “It is hard to accomplish those things until firms are really finding it tough to hire,” Ms. Yellen said. As the jobless rate fell, Mr. Trump criticized the person he’d chosen to replace Ms. Yellen, Jerome Powell, for raising interest rates. The Fed reversed itself after it saw inflation retreat. Then, when the coronavirus struck, it cut rates and flooded the financial system with funds.

The economic damage from social distancing and states’ shutdowns overwhelmed the gains from Mr. Trump’s first three years. The jobless rate hit 14.7% in April. By September, it was falling more quickly than the Fed expected, standing at 7.9% last month. Still, five million more people were unemployed in September than when Mr. Trump took office.

Growth
The expansion that started in mid-2009 was historically slow. Mr. Trump said he would change that. His first budget projected that the growth rate under his policies would pick up to 3% by 2020 and stay there. It did rise, but not as expected.
During the expansion under Mr. Obama, GDP grew at an average annual rate of 2.25%. It picked up to a 2.5% rate in Mr. Trump’s first three years. One important driver was government spending. It grew faster during the Trump years, even before Covid-19, than during the Obama years. Excluding the effects of federal spending, GDP grew at the same rate in the Obama phase of the nearly 11-year expansion as during the Trump phase.

Federal revenue didn’t keep up. Mr. Trump had said in his first budget that faster growth would combine with fiscal restraint to put the U.S. on a path to balance its budgets and pay down debt. Instead, deficits widened late in the expansion, when deficits in the past have tended to recede. Mr. Trump’s tax cuts and a push to scale back regulation were meant to spur private-sector investment and worker productivity to set U.S. growth on a faster track for the long term. It wasn’t clear that was happening. Productivity rose, but it didn’t approach levels achieved during the 1960s, late 1990s or early 2000s.

Business investment traveled a serpentine path. After jumping following the 2007-09 recession and slowing later in the Obama years, investment rose again after the business-tax cuts. Then it slowed again when the U.S. challenged trade rivals with tariffs. In all, the pace of investment was slightly slower in the Trump part of the post-2008 expansion than in the Obama part. Now, another headwind to a long-run growth pickup is reasserting itself. Declining birth rates and retiring Baby Boomers have been restraining the expansion of the workforce. The period of low unemployment provided a respite, drawing new workers into the economy. The virus reversed those gains. In the spring, the percentage of working-age people who had a job or were looking for one fell to its lowest level since the 1970s.

Growth went haywire as states shut down economies and then reopened at different paces. Washington’s salve was an explosion of government intervention—trillions of dollars in payments to households, small businesses, states and the airline industry. Even with this support, by summer the U.S. output of goods and services was running at an annual rate—$19.5 trillion—that was $1.9 trillion below the year before.

Minorities, Low-Income Workers
A decade ago, Leroy Johnson was working an $11-an-hour customer service job for United Airlines in Hartford, Conn. Over the next 10 years, Mr. Johnson, Black and single, worked his way up to being a manager in San Francisco, making nearly $100,000. In the first three years of the Trump presidency, median household incomes grew, inequality diminished, and the poverty rate among Black people dropped below 20% for the first time since World War II. The Black jobless rate went under 6% for the first time in records going back to 1972.

“We saw over those three years that we could sustain an economy with much lower unemployment than had previously been thought possible,” said James Stock, a Harvard professor who studies business cycles and a former Obama economic adviser. Some of these trends had started to click in during Mr. Obama’s second term. Inflation- adjusted median household income started moving higher in 2013 after over a decade of stagnation. Like other United Airlines managers, Mr. Johnson, who is 33, took a 20% pay cut after the virus struck and the expansion ended. He escaped a storm of layoffs and in June got word he was being promoted to senior manager for airport operations, soon to earn more than six figures.

Many others haven’t had that good fortune. While minorities and low-skill workers tend to do best late in expansions as the jobless rate falls, they also tend to be hit first in downturns when some firms dismiss the most recent hires. The Black unemployment rate in September was 12.1%, reversing all of the gains achieved since 2014. The jobless rate for high-school graduates with no college was 9%, reversing the gains since 2011.

Trade and the Blue-Collar Job
Mr. Trump’s trade policies were aimed at helping blue-collar towns hurt by competition from China, Mexico and other low-wage countries. The U.S. manufacturing sector shed eight million jobs, more than half its workers, between 1979 and 2009. Manufacturing employment began a modest ascent in 2010 and extended those gains under Mr. Trump. Covid-19 knocked manufacturing employment down to a level comparable to the 1940s.

The bicycle industry shows the obstacles. The Trump administration imposed tariffs up to 25% on bicycles and bike parts imported from China beginning in 2018. Trek Bicycle Corp. makes custom high-end bikes costing up to $4,000 at its hometown of Waterloo, Wis. Moving its Chinese production of lower-end bikes to Wisconsin, too, didn’t make sense to Trek. “In order to build in volume, you need a supply base around you. Nobody is making bicycle tires here, or crankshafts or derailleurs or rims,” said John Burke, Trek’s chief executive. “All of those parts come from Asia.” After Mr. Trump imposed bike tariffs on China, Trek moved some production to Cambodia. U.S. export growth slowed starting in 2018 as Mr. Trump’s tariff battles ramped up. The U.S. trade deficit grew to $577 billion in 2019 from $481 billion in 2016. It widened further after the corona-virus struck. Exports fell as the global economy collapsed.

Also widening the gap was a boom in U.S. demand for imported electronics, needed for classrooms and home offices.

Wanted: Crisis Managers
In the 1970s and 1980s, recessions tended to be driven by Fed decisions to raise interest rates to fight inflation. As inflation receded, a different threat to expansions emerged: The unexpected shock. In the early 1990s it was Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait. In the 2000s, it was a housing bust. Then it was Covid. Mr. Trump says he responded aggressively by curbing travel from China, getting ventilators to states and marshaling a financial rescue program. His opponents say he played down the severity of the virus, largely left states to fend for themselves and provided a financial rescue only with the help of Democrats.

Republicans say governors in states run by Democrats hurt the economy by keeping shutdowns in place too long. Democrats say the economy can’t get back on track until the virus is contained. One way to measure economic performance during the health crisis is by comparison with other countries. In growth, the U.S. isn’t exceptional. Every major economy will shrink this year except China’s, which is projected to grow 1.9%, says the International Monetary Fund. The U.S. contraction of 4.3% will be in line with that of the world as a whole, the IMF projects. It expects the U.S. to outperform some large rivals, such as Germany, Japan and Canada, but underperform others, including South Korea, Australia and Taiwan.

On government debt, the U.S. is projected to take on more than any other nation in 2020, relative to size, according to the IMF. Federal debt has increased by $5.6 trillion on Mr. Trump’s watch. It is on course to surpass the debt added in the Obama years by the end of 2022, meaning in six years versus in eight. Debt the U.S. has taken on in the health crisis, during Mr. Trump’s second economy, has cushioned the downturn. With interest rates very low, it is manageable for now. The risk, economists say, is that the debt level could hinder the nation’s ability to invest in the future, restraining the nation’s pursuit of faster economic growth.

Yes, prosperity is not a zero sum game. Often it looks that way because it is harder for poorer people to become wealthy than it is for the rich to get richer. Apple stock went up today and I am now $400 richer than I was this this morning. Tomorrow that will change. In neither case is anyone else's wealth affected.
It's super easy for the poor people to get wealthy: good governance, property rights, public goods, and entire technology trees are invented and ultra-cheap. China was able to get 7% growth for quite awhile off of that (with only some degradation of the environment and liberties). Theoretically, any ultra-poor region could show the same benefits by plucking all the low-hanging fruit of available low-cost technologies and process improvements.

The only other way to see growth like that is to have enough free capital that you can let it compound through the ups and downs! i.e., you can be hard-working with every necessary improvement already discovered by someone else's efforts, or just rich enough to sit idly as your wealth accumulates.

But, I think you were missing my point - that the government creating returns by siphoning off of the economy at rates greater than it was growing is a 'good deal that we got spoiled by'. There was no 'should', we got used to risk free returns

In Canada, we're running into a similar imbalance where our banks pay greater returns than consumer/business loans. This means that it's safer AND more profitable for my to buy shares of Canadian Banks than it is to loan money to a small business at competitive rates. In other words, siphoning off of the growth is more profitable than actually investing (in the economic sense) in that growth. Weird times.

I think we are going to just have to disagree on this. :)

There are jobs for some, just not all or the least skilled.
WSJ said:
Some Industries Enjoying a Hiring Boom

The economy has lost millions of jobs this year. But in many industries, hiring is booming.

Paul Anselmo, chief executive of Evolve Mortgage Services in Frisco, Texas, has hired 120 new home-loan underwriters in the past 90 days and needs to find an additional 100 by the end of the year. The home-mortgage market is booming, as low interest rates have led millions of Americans to refinance and continued work-from-home policies are incentivizing people to buy new houses. In Maryland, mortgage company NewDay USA has hired roughly 300 new people during the pandemic and is looking for about 200 more to join by March, the company said.

A two-track recovery is emerging from the country’s pandemic-driven recession as some companies and careers show signs of prospering despite the recession while others in sectors such as hospitality fall victim to continued lockdowns and changing consumer behavior. When the pandemic set in, the U.S. lost 22.2 million jobs in March and April, causing the economy to shrink 31.4% in the second quarter. Since the start of May, employers have added back more than 11 million jobs, with business and hiring booming in some sectors. In more-normal years, fourth-quarter hiring tends to be dominated by seasonal work at stores in preparation for holiday shopping.

The current hiring boosts go beyond that need. Last month, Amazon.com Inc. said it planned to hire 100,000 more workers in the U.S. and Canada, as more people stay home and shop online for necessities and other purchases. Amazon added 175,000 warehouse workers in March and April, 125,000 of whom it said it would keep on. Other big businesses—including cloud-computing companies that help businesses digitize and financial-services firms—are also ramping up fourth-quarter hiring. Fidelity Investments Inc. needs 4,000 additional workers around the U.S. to fill roles such as customer-service representatives, which don’t require a college degree, and financial advisers. The demand reflects surging stock-market trading volume and an uptick in inquiries from customers about their 401(k)s and other investments during the pandemic, said Bill Ackerman, head of human resources at the firm. Fidelity’s hiring is up nearly 40% so far this year, as the company adds thousands of other roles in technology and product development. A number of positions don’t require a finance background, Mr. Ackerman said, adding that Fidelity has a record of hiring people with customer-service experience at hotels and restaurants and training them.

ServiceNow Inc., a cloud-computing company, plans to hire roughly 500 new people this quarter, said Chirantan CJ Desai, chief product officer. The engineering and product-development department that he oversees is expected to add at least 275 new hires in roles such as software engineer and product designer, bringing division hiring to 1,300 for the year. Cloud companies such as ServiceNow are experiencing a boom as businesses, governments and universities bolster their digital capabilities amid the Covid-19 crisis, which is pushing more people online. “For us, that has been a tailwind,” Mr. Desai said.

In Champaign, Ill., companies in the manufacturing and food-distribution sector have dramatically ramped up hiring, said Richard Yoerk, who owns a local franchise of Express, a staffing company. His office currently averages around 400 job openings a week, up from about 55 a week before the pandemic. “It is unprecedented, and we’re having a difficult time filling them,” he said.

To try to entice people back, companies are offering better compensation, flexible hours and signing bonuses. Six months ago, the average local pay rate he saw for these types of roles was $10.92 an hour; now it is $14.80. “Wages are going up faster than it has in the previous 10 years I’ve been in the business,” he said. “We know there are plenty of people in the market—we just have to incentivize them to get to work,” Mr. Yoerk said.

By Patrick Thomas, Chip Cutter and Te-Ping Chen

What are you disagreeing with?
That government bond interest rates and growth rates of GDP have the relationship El Mach thinks they do.

That risk free returns greater than growth is the government shuttling wealth upwards? And that buyer's are lucky to have that opportunity?

Or that my point would be better made using a metric other than GDP growth? You understand my complaint, so what should we compare to?

We will disagree though, since I think the management board that continues to issue 5% bonds at a company that generates 3% growth eventually run into trouble with the shareholders

Last edited:
Top Bottom