Great Recession of 2020

I've tried to go through his posts closely and reply. Read his posts.

I've tried to go through his posts closely and reply. Read his posts.

I assure you, I've read the whole thread up to now. Your replies do not actually respond to what El_Mach is saying. That is why I'm now asking you to explain what you think his point is in your own words.

He thinks US bonds are/have been riskless and if the rates are higher than GDP growth, it indicates bond holders taking money they don't deserve.

To be clear, I think we devolved into short-hand. Bonds have risks, because inflation is a future unknown and you're taxed on the nominal income. But we discussed that above, where commonly the actual return wasn't very high.

It seems to be quite hard to both send and receive money anonymously. :sad:
Square Cash's Cash App is fairly anonymous?

Having the receiver get a P.O. Box for a few months and the donation people send gift cards through the mail with no return address is fairly anonymous, but the post office box costs $$$ to rent.

I think I've found a way to send small amounts of money abroad anonymously? :hmm:

If I want to give a gift to say, a Canadian, I make an account on Amazon.ca and buy them an e-gift card that has Canadian currency and send it to their e-mail.
They open the e-mail and redeem the e-gift card and get a nice credit to spend on Amazon.ca (surely everyone has an Amazon account?!)
Then they make sure not to send any kind of thanks on Amazon to stay anonymous.

I think major American credit cards like Visa can buy things priced in Canadian currency like Amazon e-gift cards?

Anyway, Amazon credits are almost like real money since you can buy anything on Amazon.
And the governments are happy because there are nice electronic trails that the money took.

As for the recession, in February 2020 the U.S. had 152,530,000 non-farm employees, and in February of 2021 the U.S. had 143,048,000 non-farm employees.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PAYEMS

All the stimulus kept things from crashing, and the questionably legal eviction bans and generous unemployment benefit extensions really helped out too.

My thread title "Great Recession of 2020" was somewhat wrong thankfully. :whew:

Still, the numbers are discouraging.
The number of jobs took 6 years to recover after 2008.

Also, June 2007 was 138,095,000 jobs.
The current 143,048,000 jobs in February 2021 sucks being 14 years later.

Last edited:
Zellepay is another way to send money in the US using your phone.

Yes the great recession never quite happened. $1400 checks may start flowing as early as next week.[/URL]

I think I've found a way to send small amounts of money abroad anonymously? :hmm:

If I want to give a gift to say, a Canadian, I make an account on Amazon.ca and buy them an e-gift card that has Canadian currency and send it to their e-mail.
They open the e-mail and redeem the e-gift card and get a nice credit to spend on Amazon.ca (surely everyone has an Amazon account?!)
Then they make sure not to send any kind of thanks on Amazon to stay anonymous.

I think major American credit cards like Visa can buy things priced in Canadian currency like Amazon e-gift cards?

Anyway, Amazon credits are almost like real money since you can buy anything on Amazon.
And the governments are happy because there are nice electronic trails that the money took.

As for the recession, in February 2020 the U.S. had 152,530,000 non-farm employees, and in February of 2021 the U.S. had 143,048,000 non-farm employees.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PAYEMS

All the stimulus kept things from crashing, and the questionably legal eviction bans and generous unemployment benefit extensions really helped out too.

The number of jobs took 6 years to recover after 2008.

Also, June 2007 was 138,095,000 jobs.
Actually, might be able to send the e gift card to my own email.

Then private message the code to the person on a forum.

That way they won't have to share an email.
Hmm

The number of jobs took 6 years to recover after 2008. Also, June 2007 was 138,095,000 jobs.
People talk trash about him, but Trump was very good at assembling capable people. His economic and foreign policy teams produced excellent results. Jobs are not as bad as you are making out. The economy is sound, held back only by COVID restrictions.

J

Trump asked the Fed to not raise rates which was impactful. The tax cuts were good short run and bad long run (inequality slows long-run growth). What else did he do or lead that was his doing?

People talk trash about him, but Trump was very good at assembling capable people. His economic and foreign policy teams produced excellent results. Jobs are not as bad as you are making out. The economy is sound, held back only by COVID restrictions.

J
Can you list those capable people and what the did?

EDIT: The economy was sound until the pandemic and it is sound now. Trump's terrible handling of the pandemic and ignoring 500,000 deaths cost him the election. Biden will get people back to working again.

Last edited:
It's amazing that sometimes "doing nothing" is enough to get good results. The "economy" is capable of doing so much on their own, many times you don't need to intervene to get good numbers for economic growth. These of course then say nothing about the distribution of wealth, of basic human development levels and of so many other indicators of the social area, not the economic one.

Investment in human capital must be achieved via social policy because almost no one can afford to do it on their own. The fault line you are imagining doesn't exist.

It's amazing that sometimes "doing nothing" is enough to get good results. The "economy" is capable of doing so much on their own, many times you don't need to intervene to get good numbers for economic growth. These of course then say nothing about the distribution of wealth, of basic human development levels and of so many other indicators of the social area, not the economic one.
Sure but then it’s not a team of capable advisors assembled by someone special. It’s just people making do.

J

All of Trump's people were the most incompetent people in the country for their jobs. By design.

I haven't yet gotten the $600. A applied it to my tax return, which I also have not yet gotten. '

But I spent the whole $600 by giving it to charities.

People talk trash about him, but Trump was very good at assembling capable people. His economic and foreign policy teams produced excellent results. Jobs are not as bad as you are making out. The economy is sound, held back only by COVID restrictions. J

Gaslight <----- we are here now
Obstruct
Project

Top Bottom