Guess the New Civs

Why don't we look from previous civ games to guess the new civs

missing fom Civ II:

The Sioux (they are highly famous and Civ could use anothe horse-based nation)

The Zulu (because its not right without Shaka)

Missig from Civ III:

Austria (one of greatest renaissance empires, though I'm not sure if thier inclusion in Civ III is accurate, I owned all of that incarnation and didn't see them)

The Hittites (great ancient empire; three-man chariot instead of horse archer would be nice)

Portugal (confirmed as CS; bummer because trading posts that do the same as citedels would be cool)

Sumer (literally the worlds first civilization; nuff said)

Missing from Civ IV:

Ethiopia (Zara Yaqob make a great religious leader)

Holy Roman Empire (considered by many people as the First German Empire, please 2K never again)

Khmer (I don't know enough about this region to be sure, but I think it overlaps with Siam, plus Suryavarman II creeped me out)

Mali (simply impossible due to Songhai)

Native America (I guess they could use various tribes as cities, bt that might step on too many toes)

So taken all the info above, my guesses are:

The Sioux
The Zulu
The Hittites
Sumer

Actually agree with everything about this list except the Khmer part. Khmer is culturally completely distinct from Siam and ruled a much larger portion of SE Asia. Picture Siam to Khmer as US to Great Britain, a former vassal that broke off and did interesting thing from a larger empire with a different cultural tradition.

EDIT: OH, AND THE FINAL FOUR! I THINK ETHIOPIA, HITTITES, SIOUX, ZULU is the most likely, but I'd rather have the Khazars than Hittites.

Just wanted to add, all of Canada is officially bilingual, not just certain provinces ><

Although some parts are less enthusiastic about it than others.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Polish or Austrian civ. I think both could include aspects of neighboring nations/peoples. Poland with a Lithuanian UU, UB, or UA. Austria with a Hungarian UU, UB, or UA. Firaxis uses Denmark's UU Ski Infantry to represent Norway, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same with Poland and Austria.

Would I be completely off my rocker to suggest a South African civ that included aspects of Zulu, Xotho, Afrikaans, etc culture in it? Would be interesting to see Impis and Boers as UUs with Mandela (of Xhotho heritage) as the leader. It is probably too modern, some Zulu fans may be disappointed, and it would be mixing quite a few peoples and cultures together in one civ to ever be included, but I think it would be interesting none the less.

The Zulu are a standard of the series. But you never know, firaxis may throw us a curveball.

My list:
Poland
Ethiopia
Comanche/Sioux
Zulu

So everyone has spoken about how European focused and how minimal the focus on Africa is. I personally would like to point out that the entire Southern Hemisphere only has two civs! Now that is some serious imbalance no? :mad:

So everyone has spoken about how European focused and how minimal the focus on Africa is. I personally would like to point out that the entire Southern Hemisphere only has two civs! Now that is some serious imbalance no? :mad:

Considering the Southern Hemisphere has only 10% of the world's population, no.
Not that I wouldn't like the Zulu :)
I stil think the Kongo would be better though.

Given that all the announced civs are series regulars, there is a good chance the some (maybe all) of the other four are new comers to the series.

I think there is a good chance of at least one more civ from the far east. A good a candidate would a representative of the of the Indonesian Archipelago. This could be Indonesia, or one of the historic kingdoms of the region like the Srivijaya, or a more generic representation of the various Malay speaking people as a Malesian civ.

Yeah the lack of African civs is a major annoyance. Also, the fact that they tend to include native American civs that the US fought before other, more historically significant choices (Iroquois before Inca and Maya in both III and V, the Sioux in Civ II).

Well, the vast majority of people live in the Northern Hemisphere, and this was even more true in history. Short of adding the Australian Aborigines (who fall far, far short of being a civilization), South Africa, Brazil, or South American tribes, there really isn't much they can do about that.

And we need two civilizations for canada as much as we need two for belgium (ie: could do very well with 0 for both)

Yeah the lack of African civs is a major annoyance. Also, the fact that they tend to include native American civs that the US fought before other, more historically significant choices (Iroquois before Inca and Maya in both III and V, the Sioux in Civ II).

The Iroquois' significance wasn't really so much that America fought them. By that point, they were beyond their heyday. Instead, it's about the French fighting them, the Susquehannock fighting them, the Dutch using them as a power broker, the English using them as a power broker. Other tribes using them as a power broker. The Iroquois using their status as British allies to their advantage to gain influence and domination over other tribes. The Iroquois using their status to claim an Empire that stretched to the Ohio river valley (even if, in practice, this was overstated).

If you wanted to bring up the Sioux in Civ2, I'd agree. They are essentially the American equivalent of the Zulu. Famous for getting a few military victories against the far more dominant power before being defeated and fading into history.

Ok well I can do that quick here are some images:

Possible Buildings/Improvements:

http://www.fertur-travel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/revash3-300x225.jpg

A picture of a Chullpa: (A Cliffside Mausoleum). Very important and distinct, mumification appears at its earliest in the Andes in these Mausoleums. They tended to be built on the edges of cliffaces/rugged terrain and are extremely hard to reach.

The Chachapoyan burial places are quite exquisite.

Here is a picture of Chachapoyan Sarcophagi which show both their Amazonian and Andean roots:

http://xenohistorian.faithweb.com/latinam/chachapoya1.jpg

====================================

The Chachapoya were also famous for their forts/city construction. Their forts allowed them to fight against both northern invaders and the Inca for centuries. Their round forts can be seen easily via a google search, but here are some links/pics too.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/3468476-Kuelap-Chachapoyas.jpg

http://images.travelpod.com/users/k...tist-rendering-of-what-kuelap-looked-like.jpg

Now Chachapoyan unique units will/would be harder to implement. They however were famous for their maces and slingers. (Their slingers were more feared than Incan Slingers ever were) The problem is slingers are already in game.

That leaves us forced to use something with their maces.

I can't give you any great pictures for a Chachapoyan Mace Warrior (Or give you a better name really) but here are some pictures from a couple of documentaries:

http://www.natgeoprogramming.com/images/categoryimages/file/inflightimp-1909.jpg

http://tabulorasa.info/uploads/posts/2011-02/1298189748_e64a1601-7cd2-458a-ab99-082672503ec8.jpg

==========

And here is a picture that could be used for the Chachapoyan Standard/flag/Symbol:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Abisco_or_Pajaten.jpg

===========

Some pictures that could help I hope if you did want to make a mod of them in the future.

============

Some possible cities could include but are not limited to:

Kuelap, Revash, Huancas, Purun Llacta, Yalape, Olan, Leymebamba, Chilchos, Gran Vilaya, Condors Lagoon, Congona, Jalca Grande, Macro, Yamon, Rentama, Iyacyecuj, Meseta, Chachapoyas, and not all cities are listed here (While I know some about their culture, I am still by no means an expert).

The leader would be limited to one of their latter leaders before their end at the hands of both Incan revenge/Smallpox/Spanish conquest; Blas Valera.

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting!

The Iroquois' significance wasn't really so much that America fought them. By that point, they were beyond their heyday. Instead, it's about the French fighting them, the Susquehannock fighting them, the Dutch using them as a power broker, the English using them as a power broker. Other tribes using them as a power broker. The Iroquois using their status as British allies to their advantage to gain influence and domination over other tribes. The Iroquois using their status to claim an Empire that stretched to the Ohio river valley (even if, in practice, this was overstated).

If you wanted to bring up the Sioux in Civ2, I'd agree. They are essentially the American equivalent of the Zulu. Famous for getting a few military victories against the far more dominant power before being defeated and fading into history.

True, I wasn't being specific enough, but even still it points to the same bias - native groups relevant to US history get more shrift than those not. In 1400, North America, excluding Meso-America, held roughly 2% of the world's population. Compare this with 6% each for Meso-America and South America, and 10% for Africa.

I hope they add some mesoamerican City States as well, right now there are pretty much ignored despite the rich history of city states in the area.

-Tollan
-Teotihuacan
-Cholula
-Tilantongo
-Monte Alban
-Tajin
-Tzintzuntzan

just to name a few.

Computer games, like history, are written with the perspective and bias of the writers. It's no surprise that Europe (particlarly Western) and the various groups that Europe (particularly English-speaking) came into conflict with have an undue representation. A historian tends to tell his/her own story bigger and upsell the significance of his/her foes.

Computer games, like history, are written with the perspective and bias of the writers. It's no surprise that Europe (particlarly Western) and the various groups that Europe (particularly English-speaking) came into conflict with have an undue representation. A historian tends to tell his/her own story bigger and upsell the significance of his/her foes.

Agreed. thats why i hope for more African/Latin American civs.

Agreed. thats why i hope for more African/Latin American civs.

It's why we have the Iroqouis (and Sioux in the past) instead of more South American tribes and why previous iterations of the game have had Zulu rather than Kongo. Your standard educational history books in the US are more likely to mention a tribe like the Apache than that one from farther up the thread with a long name that was contemporary to the Inca. Thus the game writer is more likely to include the Apache, due to familiarity and the magnified significance on their own story.

Top Bottom