Hammer of the North v2.9 PBEM

Peaster said:
It sounds like Arthedain would be happy for you to play the turn.
It sounds like Peaster is a clever diplomat :)
I'll play the Frisian turn tomorrow.

la fayette said:
It sounds like Peaster is a clever diplomat :)

I wish this were true, but you can see right thru my diplomacy! :mischief: Anyway, thanks for playing.

Monks arrive in England to chronicle recent events.
Christian Monks settle in Ireland.
A young warrior emerges, claiming to be the true defender and rightful king of Friesland.

The new Anglo-Saxon Monk is ransomed by a ship recalled from other duties.

After a shift of cargos at sea a Drakkar kills the new Frisian Heir along the coast. The city of Cologne is retaken and the Horsemen who tried to hide in the Mountains is no more.

The Frankish cities of Chartres and Arras are brought under Norse control.

A raid into German lands turns into an invasion as nine cities are taken from their control. The final city in our advance contained the treasonous Danish King. He was shown the light.

Attachments

• Norse_820.net
    203.8 KB · Views: 202
From a lurker's viewpoint, it looks like the good Duke is steamrolling through everyone.
True?

Duke - I am curious how you got your units into my rune system so soon. I pillaged a few of them over the last two turns, hoping to slow you down. We can discuss this after the game if you prefer, but I don't think revealing this is going to matter too much.

Danes 820 AD

King Sven is dead! Long live king Sven!

Mourning the loss of their deceitful king, Danish nobles elected the king's Norse cousin Sven as his successor to the Danish throne. Travelling from Norway, king Sven reached the land of the Danes and at once prepared to arrange for the land's defences. Now with Danevirke fallen, he ordered Danish chiefs to take full advantage of their finest weapons, their ships. Any approaching army will swiftly be crushed by the Danish fleet, able to strike anywhere, anytime, along Danish and Saxon coasts.

Danish Raiders returning by the king's orders, from successful raids in England, came past Bremen, and decide to take a look at the Saxon capital. Destroying a fleet of harbouring Drakkars of apparent Danish fabric, for the good of their own safety, they found an anchoring spot just off the city and outside the reach of enemy emissaries.

Another Danish fleet took up a similar position, anchoring just off Hamburg.

In the far east, the city of Chernihiv swore allegiance to the new king Sven.

---
During a gift exchange between the Norse and Danish player, a civ2 'breakthrough' in science led to that the Danes received the unresearchable tech "Unique", which is only used for special units that are in the civiliopedia, not for any buildable units. The Danes found themselves able to build kings, heirs, warlords and other unique units. It's a comparatively easy loop hole to fix, giving all these units a obsolescence tech. This attached rules file fixes this, and exchanges the former file.

Attachments

• Danes_820AD.zip
    40.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Rules.txt
    25.8 KB · Views: 191
Message from Peaster, who is somewhat net crippled right now:

Duke,

We were hit by Hurricane Katrina a few days ago, which makes it hard to post anything for a while. Possibly unrelated to that - I have not been able to open the Hammer thread from my office today.

Anyway, the Allies have decided to quit. We were just waiting for Arthedain to agree to it. Since I am net-crippled, I have asked the other guys to post something in the thread about it. I hope there will be some analysis of what happened, but I might not be able to join in for a while.

Best,
Peaster

Hey again guys! Sorry for not writing sooner. I did agree to quit this game though, via e-mail. Anyways, I'm up for a new PBEM if people are interested. It might also be a different scenario if you guys would like that. Suggestions are welcome. I also would like to congratulate the winners, the vikings. If I'm not mistaken though, Morten signed peace with us, so that makes DoM the last man standing.

OK, thanx for playing everyone :) It was fun and very instructive! I will take all the events of the game, and the comments made along the way, into careful consideration when making the next update of the scenario.

I'm also up for a new game! Not sure which one, although my own Spanish Armada scen springs to mind (which would be a heavily alliance-kind of game, with one sole objective : conquer/protect England). It could also be nice to play a good scen that I know nothing at all about whatsoever! Any good ideas?

Morten, if I am remembering the right Armada scenario, I did enjoy playing it. My only criticism (shared with those scenarios of my own like Colonies IV or Seize the Crown) is that it takes a while to get moving. It starts many years prior to the Armada, if I remember...

I could suggest a game like Bonaparte II (my own, yes ;) ) which gets you into the action pretty quickly, and is balanced between the players.

Brown Man's Burden has the same advantages, and whilst I like it a bit less - 'cos it ain't mine - it is a good PBEM.

As for the Armada, did you take any of my feedback into account?

1) Love the graphics! Except maybe the diplomatic dialog background, which is very hard to read anything against. The rats/pollution and Brothel improvement amused me particularly...;)

2) Suggestion: maybe rename the Tower of London wonder to "Elizabeth's Diplomacy" or something similar. It was mainly the hope of marrying her - and thus easing painlessly onto the thone of England - that kept the Catholic Princes of Europe dancing around her, rather than leading their armies onto the English beaches. Certainly more so than the presence of the little white-walled armoury/prison on the banks of the Thames....

3) The graphics (a major strongpoint of yours anyway) are very good. Maybe a little violently-coloured for my taste on first sight, I soon got used to them and I like the part-period, part-boardgame feel they give. Really nice work!

4) When an assasin is "expelled", why not "unmask" him. The ambassador would then apologise, rather than protest his explusion...

5) The wine resource should perhaps generate more trade or something. Same with the sheep.

6) The defensive infantry units should perhaps include Pikemen. By 1560 the Spanish Tercio was the dominant military formation. If you want to keep Musketeers, better rename them Matchlocks, although the difference in the weapon from an Arquebus was marginal.

Finally, do you ever play online games (any of you?). I could host, and then four or five of us could play a much wider variety of games, quickly. Most of us are on European time, I think...You'd need broadband, really...

Top Bottom