"He really cares about the institution"

hobbsyoyo

Deity
I have heard the phrase in the thread title so many times about Chief Justice John Roberts that it's sort of the standard refrain for every major case going before the court. The theory is that John Roberts cares a whole lot about the integrity of the Supreme Court to the point that he would never make a ruling that threatens to de-legitimize the court as a political institution in a time when we really need 'honest referees calling balls and strikes', to steal an oft-used phrase from the Chief Justice. We know all this because John Roberts says this about himself frequently and has built his image on the bench based on this premise.

There's so much wrong with this that it's going to take a bit to unpack.

First, the premise that the court is truly a neutral, non-political entity was never really true I think and this is only become less true since McConnell stole a seat on false pretenses while also declaring he'd do it again in a way that completely undermines those pretenses because of the political advantage. Ever since judicial review became a theory of the way the court relates to the rest of the government way back in the founding father days, the court has been a political institution. This is not the same as saying it's a representative or even truly democratic institution in that the people on the court are not voted on directly by the people. Instead they are picked in a process that pits two of the other branches against each other and allows politicians to pick justices based on the way that they believe the would-be justices would vote on major cases. In other words, no one is looking for 'honest referees' to sit on the bench but instead partisans who can be relied on to toe one party line or the other. It's always been thus but those trends have gotten far worse in the last two decades as every confirmation hearing has been turned into massive political brawls for power.

Next is the direct claim that Roberts wouldn't do something to undermine the institution of the court itself by handing down insanely partisan rulings. To support this claim, the landmark Obamacare decision of (IIRC 2012) is hailed as Exhibit A for how much he doesn't want the legitimacy of the court to be challenged by hyper partisan rulings. To me, this case has always been the canary in the coal mine in that it signaled that Roberts will do anything to have his cake and eat it too.

While it's true that Roberts did cast the vote which kept Obamacare alive, he did so while also striking down key provisions of the law which have allowed the Republicans to completely undermine it and later set the stage for other right-leaning federal courts in Texas and elsewhere to throw the entirety of the law out the window based solely on Republican's efforts to undermine it. He got his cake and ate it too. He didn't throw out the law but gave his side the tools to throw it out without him.

Similarly, on the recent case on including a citizenship question on the census, Roberts again tried to have his cake and eat it too. The perception with the public is that Roberts essentially shut down Trump's ability to include the controversial and racially-motivated question when this is not actually the case. What Roberts actually did was decide that Trump's nakedly racist motives and arguments were not good enough and gave him a mulligan to come up with better reasons. That Trump's team is so inept that they haven't yet figured out a better argument is not indicative of Robert's shutting down attempts to do so. Roberts got his cake and ate it too - he threw up a speed bump against Trump's efforts in a way that makes the court look neutral when in fact he is trying to give Trump the latitude to do what he wants so long as he can tone down the rhetoric.

These examples show Roberts skillfully managing public perception while ultimately tipping the scales in his team's favor. There are other examples that are far more naked power grabs -

Citizens United was originally a case on a very narrow section of campaign finance law until after all the oral arguments were over. At that point, Roberts instructed the claimants to go back and re-argue the case in context of the entirety of the law, thereby opening the door to allow Roberts and company to throw out the entirety of the law. I'm not sure if that move was unprecedented but it was a complete shock and opened the flood gates to naked corruption in our government via the mechanism of campaign finance.

The recent gerrymandering case was another naked power play in that the courts have long held that while political gerrymandering is OK, racial gerrymandering is not. Through other cases and media leaks, it became plainly obvious that racial gerrymandering is part and parcel of political gerrymandering and yet when confronted with this fact which should have invalidated these efforts, Roberts decided not to rule at all. Out of nowhere, he decided that Federal courts are powerless to stop any of this despite decades of precedence to the contrary because the logic he would have used to allow gerrymandering (that it's OK if not racially motivated) was stripped away. He couldn't legitimately call that strike as anything but a strike so instead decided not to referee the play at all so his team could eek out a win.

I submit to CFC that Chief Justice John Roberts doesn't give a poop about the institution of the court but instead that his brand management game is on fleek.

To really get the conversation started, I'll say that I think our options to deal with this situation are pretty limited. As we have seen throughout our history, the Supreme Court has the power to completely wreck Congressional or Presidential prerogative. It was meant to be this way and is not a problem in and of itself. What is a problem is the gaming of the selection process for judges and their lifetime appointments. Even then, lifetime appointments (while probably a bad thing on the merits) aren't a huge problem, what is a problem is the way the process has been absolutely corrupted to allow hyper-partisans onto the bench regardless of their suitability. We now have two people on the bench credibly accused of sexual harrassment or worse who will be in power until they die. Both were railroaded through the confirmation process with Kavanaugh in particular receiving a sham investigation into his alleged crimes and misdeeds.

I don't know if a supreme court judge has ever been impeached and even if it's been done before, I don't think it could be done without a complete wipe-out of the GOP in national elections. But because of the gerrymandering which the Supreme Court has upheld, that wipeout is exceedingly unlikely. I think the only reasonable corrective action is to pack the court. What do you all think?

A judge who at least pretends to care about the law seems to be better than a judge who has given up all pretense. The former needs to be somewhat restrained in their partisanship to keep up the pretense.

Packing the court seems to be dangerous. What would stop Republicans to pack the court themselves once they regain power? What then? Keep packing the court until it has become a joke?

I am not sure I agree about giving up pretenses. Someone who keeps the pretense of caring about the law can get away with some really insidious stuff that the naked partisan wouldn't. A veneer of propriety and false pretenses is much harder to argue against - it took me here a long-winded, reasoned post to point out the issues with Roberts tenure on the court. For a judge like Scalia, I could have just said he was an autocratic racist in a lot fewer words. People have finite attention spans and so long as you have some plausible deniability to the BS, it can fly under the radar.

On the issue of endless court packing, you're right and I don't have a good solution. I don't know what can be done short of impeaching judges but I think that's impossible to pull off.

Hard to tell with OP's like this when I've missed the mark. I had a lot to say and I hope that didn't stifle discussion. No one wants to read a giant wall of text and I could have done a better job editing it down than I did it's just that there was a lot of nuance and big discussion points to cover. I thought about breaking it up somehow but eh it came to me in a train of thought.

I am not sure I agree about giving up pretenses. Someone who keeps the pretense of caring about the law can get away with some really insidious stuff that the naked partisan wouldn't. A veneer of propriety and false pretenses is much harder to argue against - it took me here a long-winded, reasoned post to point out the issues with Roberts tenure on the court. For a judge like Scalia, I could have just said he was an autocratic racist in a lot fewer words. People have finite attention spans and so long as you have some plausible deniability to the BS, it can fly under the radar.

It looks like these judges can get away with about anything once they're elected. Sure, you need less words to convince someone of Scalia than you would need for Roberts, but does that change anything? There is nothing anybody can realistically do about that. It does make a difference if you want to argue for a complete (possibly violent) upheaval of the system. But other than that?

Supreme Court has the power to completely wreck Congressional or Presidential prerogative. It was meant to be this way

It was certainly not meant to be that way. Article III is rather short and afterthoughtish; Marbury v Madison was not foreseen. The supremacy of congress in all things was the intent and was so inscribed.

It was certainly not meant to be that way. Article III is rather short and afterthoughtish; Marbury v Madison was not foreseen. The supremacy of congress in all things was the intent and was so inscribed.
Sure but that followed so quickly (not even sure if we were under the Constitution or the Confederacy at that point) that it really doesn't matter. Most of the players were the same, this was still the founding era, not something that happened a century later.

I guess one way to deal with the captured court is to open new investigations of Kavanaugh and potentially even Thomas to find out if they did break laws or commit serious enough acts of impropriety that they should be removed. Then keep up the pressure until they resign in disgrace.

It is already a joke.

Yea it’s probably healthier if we drop the precept that this court is or has ever been above the zeitgeist if it’s time.

The Court has been political ever since the Constitution specified that justices are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. When Roberts says the court is supposed to be like an umpire or whatever, he's not an idiot so we all know he's lying (only idiots actually believe the court can be a neutral arbiter of anything).

Yea it’s probably healthier if we drop the precept that this court is or has ever been above the zeitgeist if it’s time.
Even still, I think there were times when the benches were occupied by people that really did care about the court and justice. Brown v Board was a unanimous decision almost by design - it's my understanding the chief justice at the time lobbied the court holdouts hard to get on board as a split decision would have been bad for the legitimacy of the decision itself and therefore bad for the country. Now we have a chief justice who pays lip service to this concept while gleefully taking a wrecking ball to precedence and the overall rule of law to get his desired outcome in the end and has managed to convince the general public (or at least reporters who repeat the tropes) otherwise.

The Court has been political ever since the Constitution specified that justices are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. When Roberts says the court is supposed to be like an umpire or whatever, he's not an idiot so we all know he's lying (only idiots actually believe the court can be a neutral arbiter of anything).

Yea I’m in agreement. It’s entire history is a record of political decisions made politically for political reasons. If anyone could show me otherwise I’d be interested in reading on it.

Even still, I think there were times when the benches were occupied by people that really did care about the court and justice. Brown v Board was a unanimous decision almost by design - it's my understanding the chief justice at the time lobbied the court holdouts hard to get on board as a split decision would have been bad for the legitimacy of the decision itself and therefore bad for the country. Now we have a chief justice who pays lip service to this concept while gleefully taking a wrecking ball to precedence and the overall rule of law to get his desired outcome in the end and has managed to convince the general public (or at least reporters who repeat the tropes) otherwise.

But even that type of action is inherently political. He lobbied them because he thought the other way would hurt America because the politics on that topic were shifting even then. I guess I’ve just been convinced so much of SCOTUS is just politics that the few times it isn’t doesn’t mean the court isn’t basically just another branch of politics as warfare.

Oh I completely agree that the court is political, it's inherent in the arguments I've been making. I'm just trying to illustrate how hollow Robert's rhetoric about the Court as an institution is as so many of his rulings have de-legitimized it as a neutral arbiter of justice.

When we can reasonably predict 7 or 8 votes on the court based solely on the political affiliations of the claimants rather than anything to do about the actual arguments presented in court, that's a major problem.

Oh I completely agree that the court is political, it's inherent in the arguments I've been making. I'm just trying to illustrate how hollow Robert's rhetoric about the Court as an institution is as so many of his rulings have de-legitimized it as a neutral arbiter of justice.

When we can reasonably predict 7 or 8 votes on the court based solely on the political affiliations of the claimants rather than anything to do about the actual arguments presented in court, that's a major problem.

Yea I understand the sentiment. I still think Democrats should unpack the court and take it back to seven members. Preferably do it in as partisan as way as possible. Make it abundantly clear it is about politics and reinforce the idea that voting for conservative judges is no different than voting for progressive ones. It’s judicial activism. It’s all judicial “activism”.

As with gerrymandering, the left has not picked up the importance of court appointments until it was way too late to affect the outcome. Of course, we did have a Republican Senate holding up as many appointments as they could in order to 'save' them for a Republican president but it's not like Obama really put a lot of political energy into overcoming that particular source of obstruction and I don't see the current Democrats in Congress doing a whole lot to stop the mass appointments of the GOP.

Top Bottom