Help with installing BUFFY

Dubioza

Emperor
Moderator Action: I've moved these posts out of teh SGOTM 17 Maintenance thread.

Hey!

Sorry if I'm posting this in wrong thread.

I posted smtg like this in BUFFY thread, as I have BUGG & BULL installed in CA folder, but still no answer:

In OP the link is for BUFFY-3.19.001.exe while Denniz few posts up links to BUFFY-3.19.003.exe

Just checking if this is newest version? Maybe one that doesn't require changing things if I have BUG installed in Custom Assets?

Afaict there are 2 options after installing BUFFY:

1. Rename existing customassets folder (with BUG files in it) to 'customassets-smtg'.

2. Disable the use of CustomAssets:

Open BUFFY-3.19.001.ini in Notepad and change NoCustomAssets from 0 to 1

Is this still necessary or does v3.19.003 fix this?

If I do as option 1. will I still be able to use BUG & BULL in normal games? I just want BUFFY for SGOTM and be able to submit my games.

I tried option 2 and BUFFY (v3.19.003) loads like it should but after trying to load the save Plastic_Ducks_SG017_AD1520_01.CivBeyondSwordSave game crashes with too fast too read error message.

Assets Checker gives me bunch of errors, for BtS:

Spoiler :
Help? :please:

Edit: I have bunch of mods & maps installed, I think first error in Assets Checker's BtS section could be from Kingdom of Croatia mod which uses Russian civ as a base (now in regular game my Russians are speaking Croatian), the rest are from maps.

I guess I'll have to reinstall the game, I don't see how else I could fix this?

Edit 2: Starting new game in BUFFY works - it's without Blue Marble, but Russians are still speaking Croatian. :lol:
So I guess first error is not from that mod (I think only changes outside of KoC mod are .wav files).

You could try (re-)moving the extra files, and switch back the original CvGameCoreDLL.dll.
If that works, I (or someone else) can upload the Tectonics script.

The Vanilla/Warlords errors shouldn't matter as this is for BTS.

The one when you installed BULL... did you do the backup ? :)
(...2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Assets)
Can be uploaded as well.

Ohh right! I did!

Spoiler :
So now I have to delete those maps and get original Tectonics.

And now I'll have to switch back that .dll when I won't play BUFFY for BULL to work?

Haa!! Working! :woohoo:

TYTYTY! :bowdown:

And the .bat, perfect!

Glad it works.

For everyone else: when reinstalling and patching to 3.19, make sure not to install just the latest patch but rather go from first patch to the last (3.13, 3.17, 3.19, maybe I forgot about one). Skipping that caused me a lot of trouble in the past.

Glad it works.

For everyone else: when reinstalling and patching to 3.19, make sure not to install just the latest patch but rather go from first patch to the last (3.13, 3.17, 3.19, maybe I forgot about one). Skipping that caused me a lot of trouble in the past.
It's not needed. I has problems with my PC in 2012 (SSD firmware, almost one year to discover) and i reinstalled countless times.

You can safely install Vanilla, then Warlords, then BtS and the 3.19 patch. Not a problem.
I keep the older patches just for archive.

It's not needed. I has problems with my PC in 2012 (SSD firmware, almost one year to discover) and i reinstalled countless times.

You can safely install Vanilla, then Warlords, then BtS and the 3.19 patch. Not a problem.
I keep the older patches just for archive.

Worked for me. I have mutilated the folder with mods at some point. After that, installing in the way you described didn't solve problems with textures, crashing, and stuff making BUFFY recognize my games as not valid for HoF. Patching from first to the latest patch did solve the issues.

Can Buffy incorrectly installed cause your computer to crash??? Mine crashes if I try to load another game when using a buffy save. It also crashed many times in the last game. I don't want to point finger at Buffy but it mostly happens when Buffy is in use. :(

I had a lot of issues with BUFFY crashing when I was playing in fullscreen. Since SGOTM12 I've been playing in windowed mode and the crashes are much less frequent.

The only downside is that you can't "gain speed" by minimizing civ4 when it starts lagging due to all those nasty units that tend to accumulate...

Yep :(
I had this problem in botm games i.e. it's starting to lag, very annoying but you do not want to save and start the game new in "watched" games..at least not often..esp when fighting, saving looks bad on you.

OK, this complicated issue with BUFFY, I have on my PC for a while:

Need some tech support with BUFFY.

Civ crashed when loading save without any error message (no error message at all, and it was always give some upon crash before that). Since then I can not load BUFFY mod. I can load Civ without mods and I can load some other mods inside game. When I try to load BUFFY within game - game restarts then I see Civ4BeyondSword.exe process in task manager starts and and disappears after few seconds.

More interesting I have dual boot on my box. Both OS are XP. They are pretty same (some difference between video drivers versions, both work fine). On second OS I can load BUFFY without any problem. I run Civ on both operating systems from same Steam install same folder (different my games folders though). So it seem to be OS issue, something screwed up.

The actual question: what are specific dll's or .Net version or may be run time libraries are required specifically for BUFFY (but not for vanilla BTS)?

Delete and reinstall BUFFY did not help btw.

Thank you in advance!

Yes, BTS loads no problem.
Other mods load with no problem.
BUFFY crashes With no error messages, which is unusual for me.
And yes BUFFY loads with no problem on second XP OS from same Steam folder.

Did anyone ever observe something like that?

Again:
Are there specific dll's or .Net version or may be run time libraries that are required specifically for BUFFY (but not for vanilla BTS)?

As you can see, I am still able to load BUFFY on second OS, so it's not urgent, but really weird issue.

The only specific items required to run BUFFY are those that are installed when you run the BUFFY installer. I'm pretty sure that BUFFY must be installed in the Program Files\Steam .... directory path, not in My Documents\ ... But I don't know the details of running the BUFFY installer for a Steam installation as I don't have that version.

Are you in an Adminstrator account in both OSs, both when installing and when running?

You could try enabling logging in the CivilizationIV.ini file, then looking in the Civ4 logs, in case anything shows up that might give us clues.

Thanks for fast response, AlanH.

Yes, Admin in both OS.

I was playing with my games folder files (deleting, overwriting etc), did not help.

My version - may be I got virus on one of OSs and some system files got corrupted?
Was hoping to clarify which BUFFY specific files could it be, so I could address this more specifically. (several antivirus scans did not find a thing).

Will check what can I find with logging enabled once I'll grab my CIV pc (unfortunately this will not happen soon).

Thanks again! :)

If it's just a problem with the BUFFY files, then the Assets Checker should be able to identify which files are missing/corrupted. Alternatively, just copy and paste the entire BUFFY folder from the OS that works to the OS that doesn't. Should be possible using a memory stick or a shared disk space.

I had a lot of issues with BUFFY crashing when I was playing in fullscreen. Since SGOTM12 I've been playing in windowed mode and the crashes are much less frequent.

The only downside is that you can't "gain speed" by minimizing civ4 when it starts lagging due to all those nasty units that tend to accumulate...
What I do when I see lag, even in windowed mode, is to save my game (in case it crashes when I try the following steps--I saw that happen on my old Operating System), then press Ctrl + Alt + Del, and load the Task Manager.

If in windowed mode, I'll wait for Task Manager to load, then click on the Civ 4 window and wait for it to load, then close Task Manager.

Not every one of those steps may be required, depending upon which Windows Operating System you are using, but those steps have worked for me across multiple Windows Operating Systems for "resetting" the cached memory, thus giving the same speed boost that you reported seeing when in full screen mode.

Top Bottom