History Rewritten (Original Thread)

Quick update:

I had a surge of motivation and some convenient free time last night and as a result I managed to get a lot done. I also discovered a file that should have been deleted a long time ago (in 0.2!) which was causing 80% of the problems with the building art.

Soon as I get another decent chunk of free time I should be able to finish 0.6 at long last.

That's awesome! Can't wait.

Quick update:

I had a surge of motivation and some convenient free time last night and as a result I managed to get a lot done. I also discovered a file that should have been deleted a long time ago (in 0.2!) which was causing 80% of the problems with the building art.

Soon as I get another decent chunk of free time I should be able to finish 0.6 at long last.

:goodjob:
yaya I'm ready for the next version

I cant really wait your 0.6 but i must wait if necessary ;)

0.6 has (finally) been uploaded for your downloading pleasure!

:band: :run: :cheers:

Apologies for the endless delays with this version. Life, work, and Civ4CityLSystem.xml kept throwing frustrating challenges at me. And to top it all off my country got hit by a 7.1 (Richter scale) earthquake this weekend! A lot of damage (estimated at over 2 billion dollars worth) but mercifully there were no deaths.

Xyth, I remember you got – with Alan's help – Nifscope working. If you're not quite as deeply immersed into modding but like to take a look at unit art from PC-mods, would you recommend to go through this? I'm wondering how much time it took you, so I can multiply that with my own cluelessness.

It's a very useful tool for viewing and making minor alterations to units and buildings. Thanks to Alan's hard work getting it running shouldn't be too painful or time consuming. You need the version he compiled, found here and the QT SDK found here.

I will retry to download it tomorrow since Megaupload doesn't allow more than one download per day and since my download was interrupted accidentally...

EDIT : problem being resolved with Megaupload

Plans for 0.7 ? Or next steps ?

0.6 has (finally) been uploaded for your downloading pleasure!

:band: :run: :cheers:

Apologies for the endless delays with this version. Life, work, and Civ4CityLSystem.xml kept throwing frustrating challenges at me. And to top it all off my country got hit by a 7.1 (Richter scale) earthquake this weekend! A lot of damage (estimated at over 2 billion dollars worth) but mercifully there were no deaths.

It's a very useful tool for viewing and making minor alterations to units and buildings. Thanks to Alan's hard work getting it running shouldn't be too painful or time consuming. You need the version he compiled, found here and the QT SDK found here.

Thank goodness your all right! Is the damage bad around your house?

I will retry to download it tomorrow since Megaupload doesn't allow more than one download per day and since my download was interrupted accidentally...

EDIT : problem being resolved with Megaupload

Plans for 0.7 ? Or next steps ?

All the upload sites seem to have similar restrictions so changing to another probably won't help much.

I need a week off with no Civ before I start thinking about 0.7. Getting 0.6 finished was exhausting. I will of course still be checking in here in case there are any bugs or issues though.

Thank goodness your all right! Is the damage bad around your house?

I wasn't in the city that was hit so we were all fine, sure felt it though. A lot of friends' homes were destroyed.

DropBox allows up to 2GBytes free space. I'm not aware of any limits on the volume of downloads.

DropBox allows up to 2GBytes free space. I'm not aware of any limits on the volume of downloads.

I was using Dropbox but they temporarily banned me for excessive traffic after HR was announced on the front page of CFC. There's been over 1000 downloads of 0.5 now so I figured better not to annoy the Dropbox people any further. It's fantastic but it's really only meant for personal or small scale sharing, not mod hosting.

For 0.7, maybe the UNW's can have unique effects. (Golden ages are, in my opinion, a waste of 400-800 hammers.)

That was my original plan but I had to forgo it in order to get 0.6 finished. Golden ages were a convenient replacement. Personally I find them quite powerful if used wisely and don't forget that you're still getting all the original effects of the National Wonder it replaces as well - the golden age costs nothing extra. I might give them unique effects eventually though.

When you feel ready, I want to talk about the Celt's leader.

Didn't have much time to get a game started, but, with nifskope and Alan's macapaka, I was able to look into your art files, and voila, I found a working, different looking Circus Maximus! Maybe that was fixed long ago, but first time I'm noticing it, anyhow. I can't find this Circus in the download section, who did this? I haven't seen your mediterranean smaller, much better looking palace anywhere, either. Mediterranean cities will look extremely good in HR, especially with some temple shaped wonders collected.

Voting for second!

Happy to talk about that now. I'm still thinking of renaming Brennus as someone else and adding a 4th Celtic leader to represent Scotland. Here are the possible art options:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11873
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13974
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14144

The third one is pretty good IMO. Since we have Vercengetorix(sp), and Brennus, how about we rename Brennus to Brian Boru?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Boru

We put in one of the Scots, name in Brian, and keep around Verc, and Boudica, then we will have a leader from pretty much all of the Celts. Ireland, Scotland, England, and Gaul.

Didn't have much time to get a game started, but, with nifskope and Alan's macapaka, I was able to look into your art files, and voila, I found a working, different looking Circus Maximus! Maybe that was fixed long ago, but first time I'm noticing it, anyhow. I can't find this Circus in the download section, who did this? I haven't seen your mediterranean smaller, much better looking palace anywhere, either. Mediterranean cities will look extremely good in HR, especially with some temple shaped wonders collected.

I searched through a lot of mods looking for art that wasn't in the database. Total Realism is where I found most of the new buildings but I also found some useful ones in Rise of Mankind. Neither of those mods work on Mac. I 'made' (i.e copy/pasted some models together) a few myself too.

Do let me know if you notice any buildings that don't look right for their city artstyle or era. I'm bound to have to made some mistakes somewhere, especially in the later eras.

The third one is pretty good IMO. Since we have Vercengetorix(sp), and Brennus, how about we rename Brennus to Brian Boru?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Boru

We put in one of the Scots, name in Brian, and keep around Verc, and Boudica, then we will have a leader from pretty much all of the Celts. Ireland, Scotland, England, and Gaul.

Yeah I'm thinking too that Brian Boru is the best choice for the renaming of Brennus. He fits the traits I gave to the leader too: Charismatic/Diplomatic. We have Boudica to represent the Britons (who encompass the tribes from the Welsh regions). The Irish/Hibernian Celts were distinctly different even back then.

The question though is which Scottish leader; the art I linked is meant to be William Wallace or Robert the Bruce but they're all generic enough to be any Scot from ancient or medieval times. I'm not keen on William Wallace as he's yet another rebellion leader and we already have 2 of those; I'd like someone who'd offer a more diverse personality. I'm not too familiar with Scottish history, any suggestions?

But with a different background.

Backgrounds are easy to change for any leaderhead and I'll certainly put something better in for whichever we choose. I haven't yet examined the models or animations yet so the quality of those might influence the final choice as well.

I searched through a lot of mods looking for art that wasn't in the database. Total Realism is where I found most of the new buildings but I also found some useful ones in Rise of Mankind. Neither of those mods work on Mac. I 'made' (i.e copy/pasted some models together) a few myself too.

Do let me know if you notice any buildings that don't look right for their city artstyle or era. I'm bound to have to made some mistakes somewhere, especially in the later eras.

So you must have had a lot of fun. I could browse through Unit Art folders of other mods for hours…

I think, there are a few buildings of the ancient era left, that look displaced, either because they always did or accidentally. You already replaced the midwest looking classicist palace by a classical, that was good! I found a "naval academy" in the folder "military academy/mediterranean_militaryacademy" that looks sarazene. Accidental, I guess.

Last night I decided to go hunt skins at a place that you wouldn't think of, at first. There is a mod for Colonization, called Mare Nostrum, that didn't run on the Mac and I forgot to delete. There I found a very, very cool skin of a building, that can hardly be skinned better. You're going to forget the next turn button!

I'll sent it over to you, if you like, and put maybe two, three other things in, that aren't in every mod.

So you must have had a lot of fun. I could browse through Unit Art folders of other mods for hours…

I think, there are a few buildings of the ancient era left, that look displaced, either because they always did or accidentally. You already replaced the midwest looking classicist palace by a classical, that was good! I found a "naval academy" in the folder "military academy/mediterranean_militaryacademy" that looks sarazene. Accidental, I guess.

Last night I decided to go hunt skins at a place that you wouldn't think of, at first. There is a mod for Colonization, called Mare Nostrum, that didn't run on the Mac and I forgot to delete. There I found a very, very cool skin of a building, that can hardly be skinned better. You're going to forget the next turn button!

I'll sent it over to you, if you like, and put maybe two, three other things in, that aren't in every mod.

There are a few building types that I made no changes to so that I could get 0.6 finished quicker. The Military Academy was one of these, and from the top of my head I think the others were the Bank, Courthouse and all the espionage buildings like Scotland Yard. I'll try get these done in 0.7.

Feel free to send me anything interesting you find. The only thing to be careful of is that some of these buildings are beautifully skinned but as a result cause memory issues. In many cases I had to scale the textures down considerably.

Top Bottom