HOF V3 game -Kursk

Well I'll take the IJN once again to balence things out. And if we can't find someone for nature then I suggest we just rotate it amongst the available players by order of play or just make it Auto unless that causes some issue.

Would the Allies mind sending my your passwords? I'd like to use the current game as it is to try out a couple of strategies I have in mind? It would save me time setting up a new game from scratch! Thanks in advance and Eric are you starting a new thread and recruiting new players?

Would the Allies mind sending my your passwords? I'd like to use the current game as it is to try out a couple of strategies I have in mind? It would save me time setting up a new game from scratch! Thanks in advance and Eric are you starting a new thread and recruiting new players?

Sure, if you will give me the password for japan. :D
BTW, no password for the Brits, Glasnost left it blank.

I'll look at starting something early in March.

lurker's comment:
Hey, Germany finally won against Russia?! Good job, Rick! Looks like the extra workers (plus using radar...) really makes a difference.

Aksully: I have another "reading tip" for you. (May be interesting for you as well, Eric?!)
"Heinz Guderian: Memories of a Soldier". (There is an English translation available with the stupid title "Heinz Guderian: Panzer Leader".)

In parts it is a bit technical, like "on May 14th, 3rd Panzerdivision moved from A to B", which is of interest probably only to students of military tactics, but there are also very interesting chapters with high level thoughts (his theories about tank warfare, his explanation of how it was possible that the combined forces of France & England, which outnumbered the German forces by 2 to 1, were overrun in just a few weeks in May '40, his views on Operation Walküre (the 20th July Plot, etc.), and there are his personal accounts of how it was at the front, the rain and mud in spring & fall, the dust in the summer and meters of snow and -30 centigrade in the winter, which made the eastern front hell in all 4 seasons...

When reading it, you need to keep in mind that it is mostly a "military" book, ignoring the "human" side, i.e. the great sufferings and crimes of that war.

Here an excerpt of his assessment prior to the French campaign:
"A profound study of the First World War had given me considerable insight into the psychology of the combatants. I already, from personal experience, knew a considerable amount about our own army. I had also formed certain opinions about our western adversaries which the events of 1940 were to prove correct. Despite the tank weapons to which our enemies owed in large measure their 1918 victory, they were preoccupied with the concepts of positional warfare.
France possessed the strongest land army in Western Europe. France possessed the numerically strongest tank force in Western Europe. The combined Anglo-French forces in the West in May 1940 disposed of some 4000 armored vehicles; the German Army at that time had 2800, including armored reconnaissance cars, and when the attack was launched, only 2200 of these were available for the operation. We thus faced superiority in numbers, to which was added the fact that the French tanks were superior to the German ones both in armor and in gun-caliber, though admittedly inferior in control facilities and in speed. Despite possessing the strongest forces for mobile warfare, the French had also built the strongest line of fortifications in the world, the Maginot Line. Why was the money spent on the construction of those fortifications not used for the modernization and strengthening of France's mobile forces? The proposals of de Gaulle, Daladier and others along these lines had been ignored. From this it must be concluded that the highest French leadership either would not or could not grasp the significance of the tank in mobile warfare. In any case all the manoeuvres and large-scale exercises of which I heard, led to the conclusion that the French command wanted its troops to be trained in such a way that careful movement and planned measures for attack of for defence could be based on definite, pre-arranged circumstances. They wanted a complete picture of the enemy's order of battle and intentions before deciding on any undertaking.
So far as the French were concerned, the German leadership could safely rely on the defence of France being systematically based on fortifications and carried out according to a rigid doctrine: this doctrine was the result of the lessons that the French had learned from the First World War, their experience of positional warfare, of the high value they attached to fire power, and of their underestimation of movement."

And then, during the actual campaign, once the first French lines were broken through, they simply kept moving behind enemy lines as fast as their tanks would go, the French command never knew where they actually were at a given point of time and consequently was never able to even start its "carefully planned counter-measures": whenever the French command had made up their mind on what might be done now, the German tanks were already somewhere else and the situation was completely changed, requiring other "carefully planned counter-measures"... :crazyeye:
So basically one half of the French forces was stuck in the Maginot Line and could only watch the events evolve from afar, while the "mobile" half of the French forces was paralyzed by its inability to make up their mind of what to do now... until their fuel and supply bases were overrun...

Hey Lanz! This is a terrific one to bring up! Its been several years since I read it! I need to dig it out and read it after I finish the current book I just started....The Passing of the Armies. It is the Civial War Memoirs of General Chamberlain of the 20th Maine fame.

I'll let you know how it is once I get through it! How are you these days and what are you up too?

Sully

Ah, you already know it... guess, I should have known... ;)

BTW, the Civil War is one period in history that I know very little about. If you can recommend a good summary book about it with the latest research results, I'd be much interested. (I got Brady's book, but mainly looked at the pictures... didn't actually read it yet...:D)

Ty Lanzelot, yeah the game changes quite a bit with those extra 12 workers, you can make roads and rails whereas you couldn´t have done before speeding up reinforcments and concentration on the russian front. Nice readings i´m sure, maybe there is an online version of them somewhere?

The code name for the next game refers to the movie, Age of Heroes, not the video
game. I watched the DVD last weekend, it is the true story of the formation of Ian Fleming's 30 Commando unit, a precursor for the elite forces in the U.K.
Watch the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvabSpcHtM

I plan to upload the new graphics for the Flak Tower and Iron unit to Atomic
Gamer on the weekend so we can look at starting a the game next week.

Sounds good Eric!

I just wish there were the addition of seaplane tenders along with Emily's and PBYs which I've mentioned in the past. Searching was such an important aspect of with the war in the pacific which isn't reflected in the current game structure.

Sounds good Eric!

I just wish there were the addition of seaplane tenders along with Emily's and PBYs which I've mentioned in the past. Searching was such an important aspect of with the war in the pacific which isn't reflected in the current game structure.

New HOF_V3.zip file has been uploaded to Atomic Gamer. It should be backwards
compatible with old .biqs and saved games. Now I have to put the finshing touches
on the new .biq file and put together some notes on "what's new".

Sully:
I didn't hear anything about Texas on the news so I guess you caught a break and
were spared from the tornado hell of the past couple of days. We were too far north
here in Ontario, all we got was 60 mph wind gusts. We have zero snowpack,
so it could be a very long dry summer.

Hi Eric!
Well this was one of those rare situations where Texas was not involved in the bad weather outbreak! As you know we are now in San Antonio where for the most part tornados are a little less frequent than many other parts of Texas. Though we have had some pretty strong storms here.

I know what you mean about the snowpack Eric. My sister runs vacation cabins in Pittsburgh, NH. They have had the smallest amount of snow this winter in years!!!

It has been a VERY "mild" winter in the US as a whole. And now we have one of the earliest severe weather outbreaks in the central US. It is really odd!

In the HOF V3 thread. Here is what's changed:

HOF V3.16 notes:

Removed intercept capability from Flak units.

Added Flak tower City improvement for fascist govs. 4 main cities in Germany
and 2 cities in Italy have towers at start,

Added Iron Ore treasure unit for Germany.

Added great wonder, Kiirunavaara Mine in Narvik, autoproduces iron every 3 turns.

Reduced number of foreign workers in Germany, added more flak units, added worker in Norway.

Norway made more productive, larger population, more mines roads & factories

Added 1 more worker for Minor Axis.

Increased attack strength of IJN destroyers by 1 (long lance torpedoes)

Increased bombard strength of US destroyers by 1 (radar)

Reduced the number of Blizzard producing Russian cities, but keep number of
starting blizzards the same (this is to simulate how unprepared the Germans were
for the winter of 41-42, but were better equipped in later years).

Changed graphics for the German Construction Brigade unit. It now uses a bulldozer
graphics similar to the US Seabees unit. While the US unit is green the German unit
is reddish brown in color.

It's taken a long time to see an increase in the IJN DDs...thanks Eric...now...how about their CAs!!!:D

Very interesting changes to be sure!!!

Nice..looking forward for this...

So iron units are immobile, they have to be loaded into boats and taken to the nearest german victory point giving money and VP´s yes?

Looks like fun I will be checking this out since I just started playing pbem games.

Good luck to all and I will see some of you in the AoI pbem.

:mischief:

Nice..looking forward for this...

So iron units are immobile, they have to be loaded into boats and taken to the nearest german victory point giving money and VP´s yes?

Yes, that's the idea. They can also be picked up by a land unit and
taken to Olso and shipped out from there.

What land unit as capability of transporting other units? Mech Inf?

Iron is a treasure unit, so any combat unit can pick it up, same as the treasure units
in the conquests. Light tanks are fast, but here's the rub, they can only get through
mountains on roads, so the if the Allies bomb the roads infantry could be faster!

Top Bottom