How to play on map I created

FenrysWulf

Evil Norse Wolf
I haven't played Civ V in quite some time, but I recently saw there was an expansion, so I bought it and am trying to get back into it. With regular Civ V, I always made my own maps and then played them, but something must have changed because I can't figure out how to do it anymore. I can't find my new map on any of the menus when I'm trying to start a new game. What do I have to do?

Also, I always customize some of the rules, like for example I changed the amount of money some of the buildings cost. I modified the info files and started a new game, but it doesn't seem to be using the files I changed. Obviously something has changed to how the system works while I was gone. Can someone tell me what I need to do now?/

I figured out how to load the map, but it doesn't keep my starting position and none of my custom rules show up. How do I do this?

To play a scenario, you need to start the game through the mods menu (if you don't use any mods, just leave them unchecked), and in the game setup screen, select your map from the list and check the "Load Scenario" option (don't use advanced setup).

About changing the game rules: changing the original files is not a recommended method to do it (in this case you probably changed the vanilla files instead of expansion files, that's why the changes don't show up in the game). It's better to make a mod.

How do I do this?

MODS -> Next -> Single Player -> Setup -> Adv Setup -> Select Map (ignore everything else) -> BACK -> Check the Load Scenario button under the map name -> Choose other options (civ, speed, difficulty, etc) -> Start Scenario

MODS -> Next -> Single Player -> Setup -> Adv Setup -> Select Map (ignore everything else) -> BACK -> Check the Load Scenario button under the map name -> Choose other options (civ, speed, difficulty, etc) -> Start Scenario

Two things:

1. You don't need to go into advanced setup and back, your map should be selectable from the list in the basic setup.

2. Changing the game speed doesn't work for scenarios - you'll always get the same speed as selected in the World Builder.

You don't need to go into advanced setup and back, your map should be selectable from the list in the basic setup.

Oooo ... learn something new every day :)

To play a scenario, you need to start the game through the mods menu (if you don't use any mods, just leave them unchecked), and in the game setup screen, select your map from the list and check the "Load Scenario" option (don't use advanced setup).

About changing the game rules: changing the original files is not a recommended method to do it (in this case you probably changed the vanilla files instead of expansion files, that's why the changes don't show up in the game). It's better to make a mod.

Where can I find the files for the expansion?

I found the expansion files. They're under the DLC directory. I'll try the things everyone said and see if that helps. Thanks.

Top Bottom